Birds of Thailand

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
PeteC

Re: Birds of Thailand

Post by PeteC »

I'll stick with my first assessment of Chinese Pond Heron, given that we've had one visit our yard/pond for the past 2 years. I say juvenile as ours doesn't have those camouflage spots that many young birds have, and lose after their first molt.

You had one of those in your tree across from your house BB a few years ago that you took a photo of. Same family but perhaps different colouration.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow!!!! Your memory is better than mine. I guess I posted a photo. I'll have a look back :D
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I found the photo you were referring to on page 9 of this thread. Definitely a different type of bird. The page 9 bird has a much longer neck.

Whilst looking for my 'poor' photo, I enjoyed remembering laphanphon's photography - didn't he do well?

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here's an entire page of Chinese Pond Heron photos. They can extend their necks when hunting, flying, or whenever they want to I guess. :laugh:

https://www.google.com/search?q=chinese ... ron+photos
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yep, that 3rd photo on top of the page wins it :D.

Crazy thing is that dozens of these birds appeared at the lake a few months ago, and I've never seen one extend their neck yet.

Points 48; Position 20
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

3 versions of Pond Herons visit Thailand, Indian, Javan & Chinese, but until they show some courtship / mating plumage, almost impossible to tell which are which. Bitterns being a close relative, blend right in with them.

Lucky enough to catch a Purple Heron munching:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:16 am ......Crazy thing is that dozens of these birds appeared at the lake a few months ago, and I've never seen one extend their neck yet.
Neither do the ones we have here, until they strike at a fish and then it comes darting out at lightening speed.

A lot of caution about picking up an injured heron as it will go for your eye in a nano second, and your eye will be gone. Always secure the neck with one hand if you have to pick one up at all. I've read that people in rural England lose eyes at the rate of a half dozen people a year, mainly in the wet lands of East Anglia.
lomuamart

Birds - feathered variety

Post by lomuamart »

Does anyone know the name of the birds that are quite common around fresh water at this time of year.

They've got a distinctive screech, a fair wingspan and are very territorial/aggressive. They'll swoop down and almost knock your head off if you get too close.

They're very prevalent on golf courses at this time of year.

I just can't find the name on the internet.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Red-wattled Lapwing - Vanellus indicus, usually means they have eggs nearby
https://ebird.org/species/rewlap1/

Imagepicture upload website

Last edited by KhunLA on Wed May 25, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, there's dozens of them living on the wasteland outside of our house. Street dogs chase them a couple of times each day, and when they do, the noise is something else.

Fortunately, my bedroom is at the back of the house.

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Thanks. They're the culprits.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

A new couple arrived at the local park this year, and did the squawking dive bomber routine with me & the dog. For a couple weeks anyway, as now they gave up, or simply use to us, and realize we're not a threat.

I hope if they have eggs, they are a bit below grade of the grass, as cutting every couple weeks wouldn't be healthy for any eggs.
wenshidi
Professional
Professional

Post by wenshidi »

I have a couple of mynahs nesting in my fire escape. They are fascinating creatures to observe, but I wish I knew more about them. Does any boy know of any useful resources regarding mynah bird behaviour and communication?
PeteC

Re: Amazing Nature

Post by PeteC »

Okay, it's either a small bird (Hummingbird size) or a Thai variety of harvest mouse. It's definitely not ants. I don't want to disturb it or investigate too closely. Thoughts? :cheers:

FYI, that's a small self planted avocado tree in a pot.

S__2539536.jpg
(322.11 KiB) Downloaded 4703 times
Big Boy

Re: Amazing Nature

Post by Big Boy »

I've asked the Thais at Baan Big Boy, and they haven't got a clue. 2 country girls amongst them, so I doubt it's edible. If it was edible, they'd have definitely known.

Points 48; Position 20