The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Re: The Pick-Up Truck Thread

Post by buksida »

PeteC wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:54 pm Better beast of burden - Mitsubishi's sixth-gen Triton
Can't believe its already 3 years since we bought our Triton ... time flies when you're getting old! :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

buksida wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:07 pm
PeteC wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:54 pm Better beast of burden - Mitsubishi's sixth-gen Triton
Can't believe its already 3 years since we bought our Triton ... time flies when you're getting old! :duck:
No s*@t! :laugh:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

This new very basic version of the Toyota Hilux actually looks fun:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a4 ... erfection/
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:05 pm This new very basic version of the Toyota Hilux actually looks fun:
Could be great on a jobsite - not so much for parking downtown.... The "True Hilux" however was 80's early 90's version - absolutely indestructible. Smaller than today's "posh" (and too large) versions, it was "The Pick-up"! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

pharvey wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:06 am
STEVE G wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:05 pm This new very basic version of the Toyota Hilux actually looks fun:
Could be great on a jobsite - not so much for parking downtown.... The "True Hilux" however was 80's early 90's version - absolutely indestructible. Smaller than today's "posh" (and too large) versions, it was "The Pick-up"! :thumb:
I've got one from 2005 and it's pretty much the same chassis and powertrain as the ones from the nineties.
They just changed the body style and raised the suspension. I don't think the one they sell now is that much different.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I don’t know how old they are, but I’ve seen a number of probably 20+ year old Nissan and Toyota pickups and they’re noticeably smaller than the current ones - similar to comparing the original Mini to a current one - chalk and cheese!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:51 pm I don’t know how old they are, but I’ve seen a number of probably 20+ year old Nissan and Toyota pickups and they’re noticeably smaller than the current ones - similar to comparing the original Mini to a current one - chalk and cheese!!

Those small pickups are really old going back to the sixties and seventies. I was referring to the version of the Hilux from the late eighties and nineties, the 4WD version of which isn't really that much different from mine, or the present one.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m surprised they’re that old and still going - that’s the equivalent to a lot of us

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:16 pm I’m surprised they’re that old and still going - that’s the equivalent to a lot of usImage

Thai pickups are amazing, an older Thai guy who lives near us in Hin Lek Fai still has all three that he has ever bought, a Mazda from about 1980, a Nissan from 2001 and an Isuzu from a couple of years ago.
I'm going the same way, we got a new Isuzu last year which was supposed to replace the 2005 Hilux but since I've got plenty of parking, I'm just going to keep the Toyota as a spare.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:20 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:16 pm I’m surprised they’re that old and still going - that’s the equivalent to a lot of usImage

Thai pickups are amazing, an older Thai guy who lives near us in Hin Lek Fai still has all three that he has ever bought, a Mazda from about 1980, a Nissan from 2001 and an Isuzu from a couple of years ago.
I'm going the same way, we got a new Isuzu last year which was supposed to replace the 2005 Hilux but since I've got plenty of parking, I'm just going to keep the Toyota as a spare.
I’ve not seen one this old - a 1938 Vintage Datsun 17T!!
Attachments
IMG_0437.jpeg
IMG_0437.jpeg (74.58 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^That is old!
One thing that surprised me about some of the old Japanese pickups from the sixties is that they used a version of a British engine. Datsun/Nissan had a license for Austin technology( ! ) and they produced a variant of the BMC B engine.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

For info, the current 2024 Ford Ranger 4 door pick-up has interior dimensions for the front seats as follows:

41 inches head room
43.7 inches leg room
57.1 inches shoulder room
55.9 inches hip room

My plan was to compare these to other pick-up's, primarily the new redesigned and larger Mitsubishi Triton, but I can't find these values published. If I do, I'll update the thread.

It appears the Ford specs are the benchmark here in Thailand for interior cab size and room, and that doesn't surprise me as they are designed more for the Australian market than for the Thai market.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:39 pm For info, the current 2024 Ford Ranger 4 door pick-up has interior dimensions for the front seats as follows:

41 inches head room
43.7 inches leg room
57.1 inches shoulder room
55.9 inches hip room

My plan was to compare these to other pick-up's, primarily the new redesigned and larger Mitsubishi Triton, but I can't find these values published. If I do, I'll update the thread.

It appears the Ford specs are the benchmark here in Thailand for interior cab size and room, and that doesn't surprise me as they are designed more for the Australian market than for the Thai market.
Large enough for a Big Boy!! :duck:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yeah, I'm trying to convince him to buy Japanese! :lach:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That would be an interesting comparison. Before I moved to Thailand, I had convinced myself the Mitsubishi was the car for me in Thailand. I was soo disappointed when they needed a shoe horn to get me in and a tin opener to get me out again. At the time, IMHO Ford was the next best thing. The new Mitsubishi pick-up is just another pick-up - they are all much of a likeness these days to look at, but buksi assures me that the newbie is much larger.

I've said it before, but my old Ranger is the most comfortable car I've driven. I don't mean for regular things such as road holding, but purely based on the dimensions as Pete has given above. I didn't even know such dimensions were available.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20