New forum?

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
billseymour

Post by billseymour »

It seems to me that considering the number of correspondents to HHAD on a daily basis, you already have far too many forums (or is it fora?)

I suggest you need only two -- one for residents of Thailand, and one for non-residents. I presume you can find software sufficiently intelligent to sort them out, at least on an 80-20 basis.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Well not really, you have to categorize the sections to keep content relevant otherwise readers will have to wade through a whole load of posts to find what they're looking for.
billseymour

Post by billseymour »

Perhaps, but I have the opposite problem.

As a local (well, nearly) resident I am interested in everything that goes on around me, so I have to click through numerous forums to view the issues that the correspondents are questioning.

I am particularly interested in the views and questions of the locals, and whether I can be of assistance (having lived here for two years now) -- but such views and questions are quite hard to find among your numerous forums.

I am not very interested in the views of the non-resident "electronic louts" that seem to have invaded certain areas of your web-site.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

billseymour wrote:Perhaps, but I have the opposite problem.

As a local (well, nearly) resident I am interested in everything that goes on around me, so I have to click through numerous forums to view the issues that the correspondents are questioning.

I am particularly interested in the views and questions of the locals, and whether I can be of assistance (having lived here for two years now) -- but such views and questions are quite hard to find among your numerous forums.

I am not very interested in the views of the non-resident "electronic louts" that seem to have invaded certain areas of your web-site.
Wow,
Two years here already? You must be really "up on it". :cheers:
What do you mean by electronic louts?
Good luck.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A PS,
With the grand total of 8 posts so far, I assume you've been giving good advice to all and sundry.
buksida

Post by buksida »

billseymour wrote:but such views and questions are quite hard to find among your numerous forums.
The search function really is a marvellous little tool. :roll:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

Personally I find the 'View posts since last visit' to be a wonderful feature, as long as you log in fairly regularly you can quite quickly sort the wheat from the chaff. One useful feature I have come across on other forums is to be able to view only the unread posts in a thread - as in when you click on the thread title it only shows you the posts you haven't read, rather than all the ones preceding it (on that page) as well. I can imagine that for an infrequent reader/poster it could be quite tiresome on here to browse, but as has been said if you are looking for a specific subject use the search.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Wanderlust wrote:...forums.
I can imagine that for an infrequent reader/poster it could be quite tiresome on here to browse, but as has been said if you are looking for a specific subject use the search.
There are many things that are tiresome and boring but this site is not one of them.

A good job is done on the whole (no pun intended) by reasonable moderators. Obviously there is going to be a variety of views. That is the whole nature of forums.

My advice is check out the different forums on HHAD and try and respond accordingly. I know it is irresistable sometimes to respond to a one liner. I am probably more guilty than anybody.

BTW according to my very old Chamber's the plural of forum is fora, as was pointed out by a very observant poster. Forums does not have an entry.

For an infrequent user MS Excel can be tiresome. For an expert it is a tool. These are just bits of software created by men. Unfortunately for many of you it was people like me.

As Buksi said try the search function and every other function.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

If you read daily or just a few times a week, the "view posts since last visit" tab is more than adequate to keep up with all subjects. Pete
billseymour

Post by billseymour »

Thank you to Wanderlust and Pete for bringing the "view posts since last visit" tab to my attention. I think this will indeed address my issue.

I had not spotted this tab previously because I don't usually log on just to read posts.