Documentaries

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Documentaries

Post by sateeb »

Pagey wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:19 pm
huahin4ever wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:54 am I just watched this 2 part documentary abut the pedophile Jimmy Saville. What a piece of shit person. Hope he rot in hell. Sadly though they didn't catch him before he passed away ImageImageImage

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/815205 ... p=81593299

YNWA!
There is also a drama in the pipeline with Steve Coogan as JS but not sure if it has been released yet.
Airs on Monday, and no it's not a comedy because Steve Coogan's in it. Looking forward to this one.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

[/quote]

There is also a drama in the pipeline with Steve Coogan as JS but not sure if it has been released yet.
[/quote]

Airs on Monday, and no it's not a comedy because Steve Coogan's in it. Looking forward to this one.
[/quote]

Coogan does more than comedy, the excellent moving/sad film Philomena for example. :thumb:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Pagey wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

Coogan does more than comedy, the excellent moving/sad film Philomena for example. :thumb:[/quote]

Glad to hear it airs next week

I recall reading of significant production delays to this in the past

Do we know what platform it's on?

Thanks

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm watching it right now. 4 x 1hr episodes on BBC1 and iPlayer. It's not for the faint of heart, the guy was seriously disturbed!
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:14 am I'm watching it right now. 4 x 1hr episodes on BBC1 and iPlayer. It's not for the faint of heart, the guy was seriously disturbed!
Seriously disturbed to say the least - and a documentary not for me.

A BBC documentary concerning the actions of a pervert the Beeb tried to cover up....... The complete truth???
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ It's not a documentary it's a drama produced by the Beeb but certainly pulls no punches about the cover up and cockwomblrey. At least give it a try before pre judging.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

sateeb wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:37 am /\ It's not a documentary it's a drama produced by the Beeb but certainly pulls no punches about the cover up and cockwomblrey. At least give it a try before pre judging.
sateeb wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:37 am /\ It's not a documentary it's a drama produced by the Beeb but certainly pulls no punches about the cover up and cockwomblrey. At least give it a try before pre judging.
Fair enough. I'm not deliberately trying to pre judge, but the subject matter is not one I'm comfortable with - perhaps it's just my generation brought up in the early days of "Jim'll Fix It" and now knowing what the cnut did (and to kids of my age at the time :cuss:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I stumbled across the Beckham documentary on Netflix the other day. I'm not a huge fan of celebrities in general and wasn't particularly keen to contribute to their income by boosting the number of viewers, But the guy was some footballer, and it's a 4-part series, so I thought I'd have a look at episode 1. Turns out it was quite interesting, and I liked them all much more by the end than I had before. Nice family by the look of things.

Still can't find anything posh about Victoria, mind. :laugh:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... cial-media
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Been watching a doco called Ancient Apocalypse where the British writer Graham Hancock presents his pseudoarchaeological theories.

It questions human history with the controversial theory that there was an advanced civilization that built megalithic structures just after the last ice age around 12,000 years ago.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt22807484/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Planet Earth III out on iPlayer.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

A must for any John Le Carre fans. The Pigeon Tunnel. Fascinating man.

https://yts.mx/movies/the-pigeon-tunnel-2023

― George Carlin
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Lost wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:50 am Planet Earth III out on iPlayer.
Superb yet again from Sir David Attenborough and crew :thumb:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Chinook: Zulu Delta 576
BBC iPlayer

I recently stumbled across this 2-part documentary. I'm sure most of us (certainly the Brits) remember the RAF Chinook crash on the Mull of Kintyre in 1994. I have to say I don't remember the follow-up to this following the ruling of gross negligence on the part of the 2 pilots, perhaps because much of it took place while I was in Thailand.

Anyway, for me this was a real eye-opener, and I could feel my hackles rising as I watched. Highly recommended (and not just for Nereus).
This is the way
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Anyway, for me this was a real eye-opener, and I could feel my hackles rising as I watched. Highly recommended (and not just for Nereus)
Thanks dtaai-maai. I followed the findings at the time, and the conclusions made. I would like to watch the documentary, but I do not stream programs. The accusations against the pilots in the aftermath were typical of the military hierarchy.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

sateeb wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:06 am A must for any John Le Carre fans. The Pigeon Tunnel. Fascinating man.

https://yts.mx/movies/the-pigeon-tunnel-2023
I enjoyed the book, although it's structureless and mostly anecdotal. I will probably enjoy this too.