Snakes in the house and garden

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Snakes in the house and garden

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:03 pm It looks like a harmless Oriental Rat Snake to me.
:agree:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

GN if you have access to Facebook you can ask the group "Snakes of Hua Hin" to be sure.
They usually reply quickly.
But like BB I would say it's a rat snake.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Either that or a King Cobra!! :duck:
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

I have seen cobras before in the wild, it was the right sort of size, never seen a rat snake that big. The head was about the size of my fist. So anyway, I will send to the Snakes of Hua Hin FB page. GN
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

OK guys, tend to agree. I have just looked at some picts on the Web for oriental rat snake and that is what I saw yes. Still made me very wary of walking around after my sighting. Trouble is when I am out birding I want to be as stealthy and quiet as possible, not good if you want to avoid snakes.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:33 pm Either that or a King Cobra!! :duck:
Yes, that is a possibility, but the picture is not clear enough to be sure. I would still err on the side of the rat snake though. There are definite similarities with the king cobra,

king.jpg
(330.57 KiB) Downloaded 22158 times
rat.jpg
rat.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 24182 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

With my own eyes even from distance it looked like this one in the picture. Didn't know rat snakes could grow that big though, so treat it as a cobra, run away :shock: :run:
Attachments
ptyas-mucosa-w-1500.jpg
(171.49 KiB) Downloaded 22135 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Very wise - if unsure, be cautious. :laugh: :run:

Yes, rat snakes easily make 6'.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

GN can you tell the location please?
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

I took the liberty of sending the photo to the Snakes of Hua Hin group and here is the answer
Attachments
received_710760267099900.jpeg
(77.69 KiB) Downloaded 22060 times
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Post by Green Nomad »

Sorry for late reply, have been traveling back to Saudi. :( The lake is near the Prestige Hua Hin development just south of Sam Pham Nam floating market. Great place to find some quiet and do some birding in peace. 8)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Incredible moment another snake emerges from mouth of red-bellied black snake

The video captures the moment both deadly reptiles begin flicking their tongues.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/incredible-mo ... 57045.html

A snake catcher got more than he bargained for after being called to remove a red-bellied black snake from a Gold Coast yard.

When Mitch Thorburn from South East Reptile Relocations approached the snake he could tell it had recently eaten, but he did not expect it to regurgitate its meal still alive. "There’s not too much that surprises me anymore, but this was a little bit of a shock,” he told Yahoo News Australia.

“The way the head poked out of the other snake’s mouth is new to me. “It’s the first time that I’ve caught a snake, and then another snake has poked its head out.”

Video shows the situation in grisly detail. Mitch can be heard confirming the baby eastern brown is still flicking its tongue despite being partially consumed by another animal.

The homeowners initially struggle to comprehend the unusual situation.

“There’s only one?,” a woman says.

“No, it's eating a baby one,” a man responds.

“Baby? There are two?”

“Yeah it’s eating a baby brown.”

“I knew it, there is another one.”

“No, but it’s in its mouth.”

When Mitch Thorburn from South East Reptile Relocations approached the snake he could tell it had recently eaten, but he did not expect it to regurgitate its meal still alive. "There’s not too much that surprises me anymore, but this was a little bit of a shock,” he told Yahoo News Australia.

“The way the head poked out of the other snake’s mouth is new to me. “It’s the first time that I’ve caught a snake, and then another snake has poked its head out.”

Video shows the situation in grisly detail. Mitch can be heard confirming the baby eastern brown is still flicking its tongue despite being partially consumed by another animal.

The homeowners initially struggle to comprehend the unusual situation.

Why the snake had another snake in its mouth

Mitch believes the red-belly had recently finished consuming the eastern brown tail and was resting when he arrived. Unaware the reptile had recently eaten, he pulled it by the tail to bag and relocate it. “Only once I got it out in the open the head popped out,” he said. “I had to look at it for a few seconds just to confirm that it was actually a snake sticking out of another snake's mouth.”

When he opened his bag to release the snakes, the smaller one could no longer be seen, leading Mitch to believe it had been consumed.

A brown snake was filmed inside the mouth of a red-bellied black snake. Source: South East Reptile Relocations
A brown snake was filmed inside the mouth of a red-bellied black snake. Source: South East Reptile Relocations
snakes breakfast.jpg (157.37 KiB) Viewed 23936 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Man makes terrifying discovery in toilet: 'Bite my bottom'

After leaving a camera out overnight, he saw the unwelcome guest had made several appearances in the toilet.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/man-makes-ter ... 34298.html

This is the terrifying moment a man found a huge python rearing up from his toilet.

Peerapan Chan, 23, was getting ready for bed when he noticed the beast probing the contours of the bowl at his home in Nonthaburi, Thailand, on Sunday night.

The terrified young man said it was too late to call emergency services so he poured warm water into the lavatory to try to flush the reptile back into the pipework.

However, he left his camera running all night and was shocked to see the snake had made several appearances in the early morning hours.

Chillingly, Mr Chan has still not caught the creature despite hacking away the toilet to look inside the pipework.

"I'm scared it will come back," he said. "I haven't used this toilet since. It could bite me on the bottom while I'm not expecting."

Mr Chan ripped out the toilet and looked under the concrete floor but there was no sign of the predator, which kills its victims by suffocating then swallowing them whole.

He is now avoiding the bathroom amid fears the snake – estimated to be between 8ft and 12ft long based on the size of its head – could emerge again.

"The snake is attracted to something in my house. He will be back, for sure," the mechanic added.

Bangkok has more snakes than people. Pythons are the most common in the capital city and they can eat humans, cats, dogs, birds, rats and other snakes. They live in canals, sewers, ponds, swamps, undergrowth and even in new housing estates.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Goosebumps! A large, long king cobra creeps into the house before going to sleep on the monk's ledge.

This happened in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

One TikTok user Post a clip I was lying in the house, but there was a large, long king cobra creeping into the house. The homeowner can barely jump away.
AA17VfyM.jpg
AA17VfyM.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 23798 times
AA17V2NE.jpg
AA17V2NE.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 23798 times
AA17VfyN.jpg
AA17VfyN.jpg (64 KiB) Viewed 23798 times

https://www.msn.com/th-th/news/other/%E ... bc507&ei=4
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Damn ... another Malay Viper at the house/garden. 3rd one in 2 months 🥵