Untimely death of Tim...help or info needed...now!

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Untimely death of Tim...help or info needed...now!

Post by usual suspect »

:(
As you all know we lost Tim last week..(dunno his last name).
Always came in our bar after midnte, great for topical debates etc...
...won,t dwell any more.

FACT...Tims body is in a chilled box at Kao takiap wat, so whats happening??
Is anybody in contact with the family? has anyone taken any time/effort to sort anything?

My Mrs & Craig from U-Turn bar have been to see the body...no farang. no Thais, no monks...he was well alone....so...

CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON ANY PENDING ACTION OR
ARRANGEMENTS???

Please go see/ contact Puy (MY Dragon) or Craig in U-Turn asap

LEV mate...maybe you know summat?

Cheers now....U.S.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yes, a very sad situation.
What I can tell you is that, for the time being, the financial side of things were taken care of last Saturday - ie embalming and the temple at Kao Takieb.
The British Embassy were informed last Friday.
One of the problems was that Tim/Gordon kept himself very much to himself, so all that any of us knew about relatives in the UK was that he had a cousin and an ex-wife.
Both the hospital and the police were pressing for a quick decision last week as to what to do with the body. None of us felt able to answer that as we're not family. The Embassy confirmed that we'd made the right decision.
Unfortunately, I've got no further news, particuarly with regard to any funeral arrangements, but will keep the board informed as we hear.
RIP.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

I did not know Timm too well, but I knew him enough to be very concerned. I hope this is not a case where everyone thinks someone else is dealing with this when in fact no-one is?

Can anyone answer these questions:
IS THE BRITISH EMBASSY TRYING TO CONTACT HIS FAMILY BACK HOME?

IS THERE ANYONE IN HUA HIN TRYING TO FIND OUT AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ABOUT TIM SO THAT THE EMBASSY HAVE MORE TO GO ON?

EXCUSE THE OBVIOUS BUT WHO HAS HIS PASSPORT AND WHAT DOES IT SAY ON IT AT THE BACK - WHO TO CONTACT IN AN EMERGENCY?

WHERE DID TIM STAY? IS THERE ANY PHONE BILLS IN HIS HOUSE WITH INTERNATIONAL NUMBERS?

WHO IS LOOKING THROUGH TIM's PERSONAL BELONGINGS (ADDRESS BOOK / WILL / INSURANCE POLICY ETC.)?

I will help if needed 010109847
shaneofski
Amateur
Amateur

Gordon's situation

Post by shaneofski »

As far as I know Tim's ex-wife was contacted by police and is not interested.

I also know that the police are trying to contact his estranged sister. I suspect she may not be interested in dealing with the situation either.

Having known Gordon for a long time I would guess that he would prefer to remain in Thailand after his death... I don't think he'd like to go back to Scotland.

I'm in Laos right now but as soon as there is some word about what's happening with Gordon in Hua Hin I'll be down there.

I think the best thing to do.. if his sister can't or won't deal with the situation is to arrange to have Gordon cremated, have a memorial ceremony and have his ashes interned in a temple in Khao Takiep or Khao Hin Lek Fai, (Khao Radar). I'm willing to chip in for this in terms of organizing and cash... I can't do much from here.

What do you people think? Maybe we should arrange a meeting some time soon to sort this shit out once and for all?

I'll post up more as I find out.

If anyone want's to contact me e-mail me: shaneofski@hotmail.com or PM me on the board.

Shane.
shaneofski
Amateur
Amateur

Gordon's situation

Post by shaneofski »

I've just been on to the British embassy in Bangkok and while they weren't really able to help they gave me the contact details of the Thailand desk officer in the Foreign Office in the UK who is dealing with Gordon's case.

I have e-mailed him an specifically asked him to clarify the following:

Do any of Gordon'a family members in Scotland intend to repatriate his body?

If not, can we, (his friends), arrange his funeral in Hua Hin?

If so, how do we do it?

If so, how soon can we do it?

What are the legal details surrounding the funeral arrangements?

What costs are likely to be involved?

If we can't arrange his funeral, what happens?

As soon as I hear back from him I'll post on the board.

I'll come down from Laos as soon as I know what's happening.

Cheers,

Shane
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Re: Gordon's situation

Post by Jockey »

shaneofski wrote:I've just been on to the British embassy in Bangkok and while they weren't really able to help they gave me the contact details of the Thailand desk officer in the Foreign Office in the UK who is dealing with Gordon's case.

I have e-mailed him an specifically asked him to clarify the following:

If so, how do we do it?

I'll come down from Laos as soon as I know what's happening.

Cheers,

Shane
Shane,
I am so relieved that you are doing this. I will help out in any way I can. I know others in Hua Hin have already helped, (I heard Buksida already took care of coffin costs?), but it seems to need someone to take control.
Can I ask again Shane, or anyone else, who is taking care of Tim's personal effects? - may be there is some obvious clue we don't know about?
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

We decided to have a meeting 3pm at JWalkers Sunday 6th. May be the meeting might last a few minutes if someone is in control, if not we'll need to help friends.
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

Tim ,Gordons effects are safe at the place where he was staying the kland lord will release to direct family or Bucksi or myself any time
as far as the refrigerated storage his body will only be able to be kept in there untill next weekend then the temple will have to construct something semi permenant in the temple grounds

in the event of none of Tims family being able to be contacted,
it will be at the embassy's choice what will occure with Tim
as freinds we have no legal rights to recieve or sign any documentation

the only reason that Tim actually made it to the temple is due to the Hua Hin police and hospital wanting Tim off their hands as quickly as possible and some on the spot sweet mouth from bucksida at the temple ,they didnt want to accept the body without a death certificate,
which as freinds we had no right to accept or take from the hospital

all the meetings in the world will not change the legal standing but may be apply some pressure to the embassy to pull their usless fingers from out of their lazy fat arses and deal with the issues more quickly

Im sure Tim appreciates all the concern
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

If I could have a picture of Tim and some details (d.o.b. / copy of passport / previous address / family details / previous job / school attended), I can give this to my friend who can pass this on to an agecy in the UK who deals with this type of situation.

Dave,
Has anyone looked through Tims personal effects? There may be a clue there, such as old telephone bill, letter from home, address book etc.

The main thing I think is to try hard to contact his family in the UK. May be the Embassy need more help? Does he have kids? Is his parents still alive? Brothers / Sisters?

Even if someone knew what village / town he came from an advert could be placed in the local paper. I think he was a Fife man?

The reason for the meeting is to try to find out as much as we can so we can help the Embassy.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Cheers you lot...
....the fact that I got replies on this issue tells me that at
least the people who knew him are concerned, if not a tadge fustrated
over this dilemma.

Like I said originally, My wife and Nutt from U-Turn were really upset at
the fact Timm was very much alone at this time, and they felt if no-one
else was doing owt, then they would try to.

I myself are in the UK for 2 more weeks yet, but will pass on the info
I have got from you guys.

If a funeral date is set could someone please let me know or pop round to
'Romantic' or U-Turn & let us/them know.

Many thanks again....U.S.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

A well-attended dignified meeting took place today at 3pm in JW. The people in attendance did not know Gordon too much, but all are very concerned and will do anything they can to help. The main purpose of the meeting was to ensure the relevant authorities have enough details to try to find relatives or friends in the UK.

I am concious Gordon was a private person, and appologise if any information I give out here should have been kept private - on the other hand, the info is not very much anyway - so I suspect and hope I am not giving out any details which may offend:

Full name = Gordon, William, Brown, known to some in Hua Hin as Tim.
Gordon comes from Falkirk Scotland.
Gordon's friend Shane, currently in Laos has already contacted the relevant people from the British Embassy.
Gordon was currently living in the same house as a friend. We have his friends phone number, but he has already said he only wants to deal with Dave (Scooter) or Martin.
Shane is able to inform us the Scottish police have contacted his ex-wife, using the information of the back of Gordon's passport.
The ex-wife does not wish to organise any funeral arrangements, but apparently was able to give the phone number of Gordon's sister.
It is unclear if Gordon's sister has been contacted yet.
Gordon's personal effects have been searched by the Thai police for any other clue that will help find Gordon's relatives or friends.
Everyone at the meeting agreed that Shane is the right guy to continue contacting the British Embassy, and that it is better only Shane communicates with them.
I have asked Dave to phone Gordon's house mate to ensure the police have access to all details they could use, and if there is a recent picture of Gordon which could help the embassy find the right people.
Shane will contact the embassy tomorrow. He will ask for an update as regards:

If so, how do we do it?

Shane will come down from Laos as soon as he knows what's happening.

Shane should also inform the British Embassy that we have been told the temple will only keep Gordon's body in it's current situation, (embalmed and iced) until the weekend. We have also been informed that after this time, the temple will find a new temporary place for Gordon's body, but after 14 days cremation will not be allowed.

Paul who attended the meeting today, previously interviewed Gordon for a teaching job and may have access to his CV. If so, he will arrange any relevant info to be passed to Shane, (perhaps the British Embassy need more info).

Martin, who has already helped a lot and knows Gordon more than most returns from holiday on Tuesday.

It appears (I am 100% sure) there will be no problem in raising appropriate money for a memorial / buriel from the expats in Hua Hin.

As an aside, Anna pointed out it is very easy to register appropriate personal details with the Embassy and you can do this online for free. Steve will set up a seperate thread to give details on how to do this.
shaneofski
Amateur
Amateur

Just been on to the embassy

Post by shaneofski »

Ok,

I've been on to the embassy and I've found out what's happening on their side.

Mike Williams, AKA Tuk-Tuk Mike, has been keeping in touch with the Embassy in Bangkok. He is due to call the embassy today.

The embassy staff member I spoke to said that the embassy will issue a letter of release to Mike today by fax or by mail and this is the only document that is needed to arrange the funeral.

Once this document is issued we need to arrange the funeral. I was thinking next Saturday or Sunday if possible but if it has to before that then so be it.

In terms of costs, a basic funeral costs about 25,000 baht. We can have a whip-around to get this cash together if necessary. It would be great if someone could volunteer to coordinate donations in Hua Hin.

I also think we should arrange a place in the temple to have the ashes interned after the funeral, this is likely to be costly, could someone look into this?

Ok, so here's where we stand:
The funeral can be arranged pnce the letter of release is issued, this should happen today.
We need somone to arrange things at the temple, (funeral and internment of ashes)
We need someone to coordinate donations.

I'll work with ayone on all of the above... so if you can help out, please post up a reply.

More news as I get it,

Shane
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

I am lying in bed with a very bad chest infection so I cannot volunteer unless I miraculously recover! I have already e-mailed Shane suggesting a collection takes place on Wednesday pool night?
shaneofski
Amateur
Amateur

The latest

Post by shaneofski »

I called the embassy again today.

It turns out that they are still waiting for a letter to be sent to the foreign office by Gordon's family. I underlined the fact that the body must be out of the temple by the weekend and the desk officer said he would pass this on to the family.

Basically it seems we can expect the letter today or tomorrow. Once it is with the foreign office the embassy will issue a letter of release authorizing myself and/or Mike Williams to arrange the funeral.

I'm confident that we will have the letter of release by tomorrow or Thursday at the latest so I think the arrangements for the funeral can begin.

I think this coming Sunday would be best.

I'll be in touch with Mike and anyone else on this board who wants to help arrange the funeral if you PM me with your phone numbers.

Once we have two or three people to work together on this we should be able to organize something in a relatively short space of time.

Cheers,

Shane
shaneofski
Amateur
Amateur

Latest News

Post by shaneofski »

I received the letter of release for Gordon's remains from the British Embassy today.

We can now make a move on the funeral arrangements.

Shane