Thailand fuel/pump prices

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Thailand fuel/pump prices

Post by VincentD »

It was posted at 47.30 baht yesterday as I passed by the PTT station. Was in the low 30 baht range a year ago.
PTT, SUSCO and PT stations are the only ones still selling 95 Ron..
วินเชนท์
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s Benzene 95 and Gashol 95 and the price differs by about 7 Baht

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Yes, I'm referring to the benzine. Gasohol has a 10% ethanol content that my older car doesn't like. I get much poorer fuel economy and less power with gasohol. Apparently there's another new mix of gasohol in the works that will sit somewhere between pure 95 benzine and the 10% ethanol mix and will cost somewhere in between as well.
วินเชนท์
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

hhinner wrote:
thecolonel wrote:Firstly it's important to state, I don't own or drive a car and have never bought fuel in Thailand. I use taxis so please bear with me.

I'm looking to quantify the rise in Thai fuel prices specifically normal unleaded(91 /95?)

Over the last say 12 months. Or whatever period any big increase has been over

I did some googling but got confused because people were telling me that it's gone from 29 to 39 a litre over last 6/12 months. But that's not what I'm seeing on the net

I'm looking to you guys as car owners to simply tell me eg "it's gone up from x to y in last 6 months"

TIA

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk
This might help:

https://www.bangchak.co.th/en/oilprice/historical

Thanks hhinner(and others for their input)

Yes, looks like 91 has gone from 29 to 39 last 6 months or so

I had already given my taxi drivers a rise recently to cover the increase cost (and more) but I wanted to do the maths and be sure.

I'm now assured that I have more than covered the increased costs of fuel that they have endured.

Thanks again

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Last year / last week (9th)

Today

joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

The price of petrol went up again this morning for the second day in a row.
Attachments
received_392483635603191.jpeg
received_392483635603191.jpeg (89.63 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

The price of petrol going up again today !
A fill up for my bike used to cost me 90 baht not so long ago and yesterday, for the same amount I paid 200 baht !!
Attachments
received_1003752037014073.jpeg
received_1003752037014073.jpeg (89.98 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s simply reflecting the increase in the price of crude oil - it’s unlikely to get much better in the short term - if there’s a Cessation to the war in Ukraine then it should (hopefully) start to come down again.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Plug pulled on diesel cap

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... diesel-cap

The government has appealed for public understanding over its decision to lift the 30-baht-per-litre diesel price cap next month.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Tuesday he is ready to listen to alternative proposals from members of the Land Transport Federation of Thailand (LTFT) at Government House today after signalling an end to the subsidy from May 1.

Gen Prayut said the Fuel Oil Fund which had been pumping in cash to keep the price down is now severely depleted while loans sought to support the fund have also run out.

"People should understand the limits of the government's capacity to help. The increase in the price of diesel will have an adverse impact on people and lead to inflation. Now is the time for everyone to cooperate and the government is ready to take care of people," Gen Prayut said.

LTFT chairman Apichart Prairungruang said haulage industry representatives will formally lodge their opposition to the removal of the cap at Government House on Wednesday and ask the government to come up with measures to ease the plight of those affected.

Deputy Prime Minister and Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow on Tuesday explained that from May 1, the government will still help subsidise the diesel price, but to a lesser extent.

"The retail price of diesel is now at 40 baht per litre. The amount that is beyond the 30-baht cap is 10 baht per litre. If the government subsidises half of the price above 30 baht a litre, the new cap will be 35 baht per litre.

"The Energy Ministry will monitor the situation to ensure that price rises happen gradually. We will not do an immediate jump to 35 baht per litre as people will be in trouble.

"The permanent secretary for energy will consider how much the government can subsidise -- maybe 31, 32 or 33 per litre. It will gradually increase. Therefore, the government will subsidise more than 50% by using money from the Oil Fund,'' Mr Supattanapong said.

Asked if it is possible to adjust the diesel price in line with the benchmark international rate, Mr Supattanapong said: "Not quite. If the government has the resources, we will continue to help. We are still in recovery."

He said the government will need three months to assess the situation before deciding whether to allow the domestic price to fall in line with global prices.

Mr Supattanapong also urged the private sector to help by reducing production costs rather than raising consumer prices.

As of April 19, the government, through the state Fuel Oil Fund, subsidised the diesel price at 11.21 baht per litre as part of an aid pledge to freeze the price at 30 baht per litre until the end of this month.

Domestic diesel consumption totals about 65 million litres per day, 1.4 million of which are premium diesel.

The cabinet on March 29 approved revoking the subsidy for premium diesel used in luxury cars, effective from April, in a move to save on budget expenses.

The cabinet previously approved lifting the borrowing limit on March 15 for the state Fuel Oil Fund to allow for management flexibility, a move that offers the government more room to cope with surging fuel prices caused by the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

As of April 17, the Office of the Fuel Fund reported the state Fuel Oil Fund was 50 billion baht in the red.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Nereus wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:19 pm Plug pulled on diesel cap

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... diesel-cap

The government has appealed for public understanding over its decision to lift the 30-baht-per-litre diesel price cap next month.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said on Tuesday he is ready to listen to alternative proposals from members of the Land Transport Federation of Thailand (LTFT) at Government House today after signalling an end to the subsidy from May 1.

Gen Prayut said the Fuel Oil Fund which had been pumping in cash to keep the price down is now severely depleted while loans sought to support the fund have also run out.

"People should understand the limits of the government's capacity to help. The increase in the price of diesel will have an adverse impact on people and lead to inflation. Now is the time for everyone to cooperate and the government is ready to take care of people," Gen Prayut said.

LTFT chairman Apichart Prairungruang said haulage industry representatives will formally lodge their opposition to the removal of the cap at Government House on Wednesday and ask the government to come up with measures to ease the plight of those affected.

Deputy Prime Minister and Energy Minister Supattanapong Punmeechaow on Tuesday explained that from May 1, the government will still help subsidise the diesel price, but to a lesser extent.

"The retail price of diesel is now at 40 baht per litre. The amount that is beyond the 30-baht cap is 10 baht per litre. If the government subsidises half of the price above 30 baht a litre, the new cap will be 35 baht per litre.

"The Energy Ministry will monitor the situation to ensure that price rises happen gradually. We will not do an immediate jump to 35 baht per litre as people will be in trouble.

"The permanent secretary for energy will consider how much the government can subsidise -- maybe 31, 32 or 33 per litre. It will gradually increase. Therefore, the government will subsidise more than 50% by using money from the Oil Fund,'' Mr Supattanapong said.

Asked if it is possible to adjust the diesel price in line with the benchmark international rate, Mr Supattanapong said: "Not quite. If the government has the resources, we will continue to help. We are still in recovery."

He said the government will need three months to assess the situation before deciding whether to allow the domestic price to fall in line with global prices.

Mr Supattanapong also urged the private sector to help by reducing production costs rather than raising consumer prices.

As of April 19, the government, through the state Fuel Oil Fund, subsidised the diesel price at 11.21 baht per litre as part of an aid pledge to freeze the price at 30 baht per litre until the end of this month.

Domestic diesel consumption totals about 65 million litres per day, 1.4 million of which are premium diesel.

The cabinet on March 29 approved revoking the subsidy for premium diesel used in luxury cars, effective from April, in a move to save on budget expenses.

The cabinet previously approved lifting the borrowing limit on March 15 for the state Fuel Oil Fund to allow for management flexibility, a move that offers the government more room to cope with surging fuel prices caused by the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

As of April 17, the Office of the Fuel Fund reported the state Fuel Oil Fund was 50 billion baht in the red.
No need to subsidise the rich and their luxury vehicles.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The rich tend not to drive diesel vehicles- they are the bread and butter vehicles (pickups mainly) that the poorer segment of the community use.

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:02 pm The rich tend not to drive diesel vehicles- they are the bread and butter vehicles (pickups mainly) that the poorer segment of the community use.
The problem here is that around 99% of transport trucks on the road are diesel, even those running partly on NVG.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I think we're drifting slightly off topic here, but just to comment while we're here (mods can think about maybe starting a new thread) the Thai criteria for buying a new vehicle is first the cost of fuel, which is why diesel and LPG have been so popular.
Second is the size, and for them to get something big, pickups are very popular because they fall into a much lower tax bracket so are cheaper to purchase and run (especially if registered as a goods vehicle. You can tell by the colour of the number plate.)
Once these two criteria have been satisfied, they then look for the biggest size engine they can get with it, no worries, mate, fuel is cheap.
This is why a diesel pickup costs around 40% less to buy for a similar sized sedan petrol version..
วินเชนท์
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:02 pm The rich tend not to drive diesel vehicles- they are the bread and butter vehicles (pickups mainly) that the poorer segment of the community use.

See the original post, 3rd. paragraph from the bottom.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Truck owners threaten 20% freight charge hike if diesel cap lifted

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/23 ... cap-lifted

Truck owners have demanded the government continue to cap the diesel price at 30 baht per litre for a year - or they will immediately hike freight charges by 20% this Sunday.

About 100 representatives of the Land Transport Federation of Thailand filed their demand at Government House's complaint centre on Wednesday. They opposed the Energy Ministry's plan to stop limiting the diesel price to 30 baht per litre on May 1, but instead subsidise half the increment of the price above 30 baht a litre.

The partially floated diesel price would affect transport operators, manufacturers and consumers, the representatives said.

They proposed methods, they said, could reduce the diesel price to 25-30 baht per litre.

They included the exclusion of expensive biodiesel content from local diesel and a reduction in the excise tax on diesel to 0.20 baht over the next year. The federation also asked the government not to base local oil prices on refined oil prices in Singapore, saying those prices included transport and insurance costs.

Apichart Prairungruang, chairman of the federation, said if the government began to float the diesel price this Sunday, members of the federation would immediately raise their freight charges by at least 20% to reach their breakeven point.

The rise would inevitably affect business and civil sectors and further fuel inflation, he said.

He also said that a planned government subsidy to cover half the diesel price above 30 baht from May 1 would not solve the problem.

The group's complaint was addressed to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha and received in person by Mongkolchai Som-udon, deputy permanent secretary of the Prime Minister's Office.