2013 G9 Honda Accord

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: 2013 G9 Honda Accord

Post by Terry »

Precisely Dannie Boy

I've found that over the 'life' of a car here - say 10 years, the overall cost is cheap compared to UK or elsewhere.
Initial cost is horrendous - that's why I have always gone for the top model and reap the benefits over the life of the car.

Anyways

Made it up to Bangkok last night with a very smooth and quiet run. Topped up with some E85 on the way and will now be checking the consumption over the next few weeks.

Pete & Barry - Thanks for the manual downloads, got it now and will be busy finding out what the other 50 buttons do :wink:

Only a two day week for me this week - back to HH tomorrow night or Wed morning, then it's play time...........

:cheers: :cheers:
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Chaps - regarding the daubing :)

Happy to report that it was not a huge mauling covering half of the roof - rather a small piece of art measuring approx 10cm x 10cm.

He did it on the sun roof blind - which when retracted is likely to do what Pete suggested and make it mysteriously disappear. :tsk:

Ho hum - we shall see. 8)
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Fuel Consumption

Seem to be averaging 10.3 km / litre - about 23 mpg

Not bad for a 2.4l engine in a 1.9tonne car - I'm very impressed

This has included HH-BKK-HH-BKK thus far, plus a couple of trips HH to Cha Am and quite a bit of motoring around town - thus far 900km or so

The trip up from Hua Hin to Bangkok yesterday was a nightmare - traffic crawled from just past Samut Songkrham to the ring road whereupon it eased. The normal 3 hour journey time was extended to 4 1/2 hours.

If I had done this in my old beloved Civic, my back would have been killing me - not so in the Accord. Hardly felt that I had done the journey. Very pleasant.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

As comparison, the wife's 2009 2.4 CRV is presently getting 9.3 for general driving. It's up over 10 if we do a trip where there isn't much stop and go, and it was about 9.6-.8 for general driving when we had 91 octane available to put in it. I haven't compared but the weight should be about the same as the Accord? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Suffered a 6 1/2 hr journey up to Bangkok on Monday 12 August due to bank holiday traffic but arrived tired and still in no back pain ...........

It' been totally trouble free and a very pleasant experience thus far.

Took the it into Honda last week for it's 10,000 first service

THB 1,350 for an oil change and windscreen wiper fluid top up - apparently the oil filter gets changed at 20,000. Got it back after 1 1/4 hours all washed and shiny......

A joy to own :cheers: :cheers:
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

The oil filter is the most important item changed out... Many people I know who drive synthetic oil in there engines will change the filter more often then the oil interval.... If I was changing oil filter is a must.. It is like putting your drinking water through a used coffee filter... Filter cheap and safe thing to replace with every oil change.... You can do it now and just top off the oil once you run engine and fill the new filter... Will be a qt or less....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Point taken BOZ, but I'm assuming that Honda know what they are doing.
I've checked the manual and it says every 20,000

So....................
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Took the babe down to Prachuab today to get my Work Permit seen to.

Eve the shitty road surface was swallowed up and it was a pleasurable ride.
ACCORDPKK.jpg
ACCORDPKK.jpg (57.97 KiB) Viewed 942 times
13,000km of trouble free motoring thus far..............love it :cheers:
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Took the ‘Babe’ into Honda last Saturday morning for its 20,000 service.

Pleasant experience (As always) both physically and on the wallet! :shock:

New Oil, Oil Filter, Air Filter, Check of all fluids, belts, battery, tyres and steering + a wash - All within an hour or so, whilst I read the paper and had a coffee.
Bill – THB 2,346
So – I’m still in love with it.

As with all cars, when you’ve lived with them for a while, you get to know the good and the bad points and any irritations.
For me it’s nothing but praise, but I DO have 2 minor niggles that Honda should sort or could improve.
1) Back in the 80’s and 90’s in the UK I drove various cars – many with rear folding seats. A great advantage on the odd occasion when you have excess load or as with me, when MRs. T asks me to pop into Makro for a little restaurant stock up…………………
Now – most of the rear folding seats that I am used to are of the 60 / 40 split variety - VERY useful if you have the second passenger and a large load. Unfortunately, despite the capacious boot of the Accord, Honda have given us all or nothing, with the rear seat folding. If only they had made it 60/40 it would have been superb.
But then – It’s not very often that I use it.
2) Gear shift display. We have Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, Sport.
‘Sport’ enables paddle shift of the gears with the number of the gear being displayed – ok this gives plenty of ‘welly’ when you want to race ‘Fortuners’ and other converted trucks, but it wastes fuel. It also enables ‘manual’ change-down when ascending or descending a steep hill. This is all well and good but It is this display on the instrument panel that I do not like. All gear positions appear in one small window and when in ‘S’ mode the number of the gear is included in the same window. It is frankly too small a display.

Anyway – only two small gripes that really don’t amount to much, it would not stop me buying another one. But then I do not expect to…………………….. 8)
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

'Babe' was one year old yesterday - hard to believe that a year has gone by already.
Anyways - 26,000 or so Km and totally trouble free.
I'm still swooning............. 8)

We now need to replace the Lodge's courtesy car (Currently a Chevy Colorado Double Cab)
Will be getting a 7 seater for sure

Now - if the Honda Odyssey were cheaper, it would be a no-brainer, but since they don't make a 7 seater at a reasonable price, that is capable of housing 6 fat farang passengers, I'll have to look at the opposition.

Pick-ups with metal on the back - Fortuner, MU7, Pajero Sport, etc etc, don't appeal to me at all.

So - it looks like the Captiva - only problem is the Chevy service.................. :roll:
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

'Babe' turns 2 today - 49,500 trouble free kms. 50k service next week 8) :cheers:
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Honda Service - just cannot fault.........

Took 'Babe' in last Saturday for a 60,000 service.

All oils and fluids changed, new filters and everything checked - no problems, runs sweet as a nut..........

BUT

I had noticed than when idling, the air-con compressor was getting a little noisy with increasing amounts of vibration.

I've known for a long time that air-cons are a weakness in Honda's - for some reason. My old Civic has had a few niggles over the years but nothing too serious.

So - I pointed it out to them and they said, could I return the car today, as they wanted to take a video of it and send to Bangkok for analysis.

Went in this morning.
After 1 1/2 hours they gave the car back to me - washed again - and said that they have ordered a replacement air-con compressor (List price THB 19,012), which will be supplied and fitted free of charge (Warranty).

Should arrive and be fitted early next week.

Happy customer :cheers: 8) :D