The new Venezia Shopping complex

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: The new Venezia Shopping complex

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:I still wonder if traders signed up to renting outlets at Venezia with the knowledge that an admission fee would be introduced.
I know for a fact that Villa Market are objecting to the owners about the 50 Baht. While it is possible to enter Villa without going through the main gate, they still feel that the now well known entrance fee is losing them customers. As they were involved from the start, I doubt very much that they knew about it.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I imagine the entrance fee was a knee-jerk reaction.

We're not making enough money from rent (too many pitches not sold)
I know - we can top-up by making an entrance fee!

It's crazy, it really is. I'm sure there's a perfect formula for building up a market/shopping mall. I'm also sure that *this* isn't it :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I imagine it wasn't that clever. I think they looked a few miles North and thought if Santorini can do it, so can we.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

Hmm - We went there last year as we stayed in the Dusit, they have or had at least then an arrangement with Dusith Thani were you could make it as an outing arranged by the hotel.

I am possitive to these kind of places, I was never one who want a place or a region in it's original state only and who frown on copy - achitecture, commercialization etc, if it brings some added services, infrastrcuture and offerings why not?
It's like Paolo in Kao Yai - you can go there with the family do a few things and shop a bit, have a meal and spend an afternoon.
So, Venezia has been built, the investment has been made, presuambly the market analysis has been done, no of people living in the Amphur, income bracket per household, purhase patterns, how many Bangkokians come every weekend etc, etc.

So what is the right marketing strategy for the Investor?

I am no retail expert but a similar place I can think of is the Woodlands outside of Houston Tx.

They have a combination of hotels, appartments, a great shopping mall, a number of good restaurants, cinemas and a canal with Veniza type boats you can go on the canal around the area.
The appartments and hotels bring the customers to the venue in the first place, in addition they have a large parking area for visiting patronage.

- these and the shoppingmall/restaurants/entertainment venues feed off each other.at
The hotels and appartments provide a business volume to build on and the visiting customers top that up.

The way Venezia Hua Hin operates now I think they are loosing money. Albeith all the money from the investors hands they either did not put in place a business model, which for this size of investment sound unbelievable or they have got the wrong one.

Either way the Invstors behind the Venezia have to change their product and I would say "look to Woodlands".

ADDED: Houston has about 5 Mio inhabitants and is based on business whilst Hua Hin has about 55000 local residents and is based primarily on tourism.
That obviously makes a difference.

However the hotels I have seen in Woodlands are big on conventions, anything very different from oil, so people have to travel there.
The hotels are designed and fitted out for this. Hua Hin could promote itself for conventions in Asia in a similar way, so any Hotel in the Venezia could be designed that way. This, and appartments woild require further investments of course, as it was not factored in originally.

Maybe it is a case of invest or die.

One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

Takiap wrote:Went there several months ago and was really disappointed since very few shops were open, and of those that were, 99% were selling nothing but overpriced clothes. Got dragged back a second time and at least we were able to have a meal there, but even so, I found no reason why I should return, and that was before this new fee. I don't mind parting with 50 baht but when it comes to this mall, I think they would need to pay me a lot more than 50 baht to get me to return - an absolute waste of space although it could actually be a really nice place.

Better still, convert it into an adult entertainment zone. :shock: :oops: :laugh:

As it is now (fee or no fee) it's even worse than the floating markets where there is actually nothing floating.
You sir are mistaken there is plenty of trash floating in the fake canals of both places. I like your adult entertainment idea!!
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Since we live not too far from Venezia, we were initially excited about the project. It looked to us like a great addition to the area, attractive and easy to access for us without the hassle of town traffic. Lots of shops, banks, drugstore, restaurants. . .attractive place to hang out etc.

We havent been back since they started charging admission. Big disappointment.

The investors appear to have done their homework with regard to the initial architectural plan. . the place is attractive. . .but things have already started to fall apart. The copy of the Doge's palace . .the building with the tower.. . into which they put a LOT of effort now has a huge air vent or something on the roof spoiling the whole effect. It wasn't there when it opened. Every day that I drive by I see that more of the facing bricks have fallen off . . .about a third gone now. The gondolas are beautiful . .the gondoliers are a joke and the canal a sorry mess.

It does not appear to have been built with the idea of charging an entrance fee in mind. If you notice the big open plaza in front. . .the "fencing" around it is very temporary planters and signs pointing to the pay-to-enter entrances. Also want to add that it was not built for the rainy season either .. .no drainage and huge puddles that need to be constantly swept away like they do here. ( Perhaps they deliberately wanted to get that "flooded Venice" look?

It is very busy on a big weekend. . .but deserted most of the week. I agree that Hua Hin is overbuilt and getting worse by the day. I dont know how the stores in there expected to survive even without an entrance fee and with one. . .well, I wouldnt want to be a shop owner tied to a lease in there.

Its a shame really. I remember going over one night just after a light rain.. .before they started the admission fee craziness. We had a beer and walked around and it was really beautiful. Pavement glistening under the streetlights, beautiful trees and bridges and buildings. . .not the real thing ( yes, we have been to Venice several times & also to the other "copies" in Macao and Vegas) but close enough to be romantic, enjoyable and a very pleasant experience.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It wouldn't surprise me if the entry fee stemmed from the same sort of logic that prompts landlords to put the rent up when a property has been empty for a year.
'Not enough people coming, so we need to make more money out of those who do.'

EDIT: Just seen Pleng's post - same idea.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Here is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Vene ... 2686711758 Their web site is dead from what I can see at: http://www.theveneziahuahin.com/

Has anyone read about the backing behind it, or who the developer is? Something seems really wrong for anyone to let such a huge investment rot.

If you Google it, much more in Thai that may give some leads as to what's going on.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hmmm...... Their Facebook page tells the same story, a few people posing, but if you look beyond the pose, the place is deserted.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Been there for the 1st time 2 weeks ago..mmm??
I had not read any reports on here prior to taking wifey+monkeys for an afternoon out..since then, since reading the numerous posts I have to agree with the majority of compaints being aired..
..*I was not expecting a toll-booth, nor a big notice-board explaining all the various tariffs.
* Inside was JUST like all the many 'Designer-outlet' venues..bored staff punting overpriced clothes (even when the items were on 'special').
* Did not like the young Bangkok Hi-So youngsters (male & female) feeling they could walk right at you expecting YOU to move for them.
* Could not find the way out of the damn car-park FFS..all signage sent you round in circles.

So the upshot is the kids got pretty pics on their phones, we stopped on the side of the main road afterwards to eat, & all agreed the '2nd' floating market down Soi 112 is a way better deal..
...& we won't be going to Venezia ever again.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Not like you to be negative US :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

But some day, if I wake up and think, oh I wish I were in Italy rather than thailand, I can go to Venezia, sit in a cafe in the plaza St Marco, drink an espresso and talk to the Italian waiters. Can't I?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

prcscct wrote:Here is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Vene ... 2686711758 Their web site is dead from what I can see at: http://www.theveneziahuahin.com/

Has anyone read about the backing behind it, or who the developer is? Something seems really wrong for anyone to let such a huge investment rot.

If you Google it, much more in Thai that may give some leads as to what's going on.
I agree - it puzzles me and stires my curiosity how so much money gpt ploughed into the estate, which in itself is beautiful in my book, being poorly managed. I'd just like to know the stoty
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Suthatsa Laohongkiat, the Managing Director of Fashion Village Development Co.,Ltd. and the head executive of Venezia Hua Hin
Developer: Fashion Village Development Co., Ltd. in partnership with Siam Commercial Bank
I guess that Siam Comm Bank probably owns more of it than the Hi-So puying!
The original concept includes a housing estate and at least 4 Condo towers.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

oakdale160 wrote:But some day, if I wake up and think, oh I wish I were in Italy rather than thailand, I can go to Venezia, sit in a cafe in the plaza St Marco, drink an espresso and talk to the Italian waiters. Can't I?
And don't forget the scenic gondola ride! :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?