TOP GEAR

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: TOP GEAR

Post by Pagey »

'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

caller wrote:
J.J.B. wrote:I called this one wrong (not for the first or last time!) and am very curious to see where the show - and its co-presenters - goes from here.
I think May has already given a big clue in his response to the news (not really a sacking in any way I understand):

"The broadcaster said he was "sure Top Gear will continue in some way" but refused to confirm whether he and Richard Hammond would remain on the show.

"I think we are very much, the three of us, a package. It works for very complicated reasons that a lot of people don't fully understand.

"So that will require a lot of careful thought."
I think the 3 of them will stick togther and maybe go to Sky or some such organisation. Which would be a shame because there's no way I will ever subscribe to a rip off organisation like that which broadcasts far too much football and requires an unsightly dish to be fixed outside at huge cost.
It's a real shame it has come to this IMO. Yes I fully understand the perameters of behaviour as applied by the Beeb, but the Beeb will be the only one to lose out.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Actually, when you think about it, the 3 stooges will probably stand to benefit considerably from being picked up by a private network. Indeed, someone far more devious-minded than I might even suspect that by "reporting himself" to his BBC bosses, Clarkson engineered the whole thing!
This is the way
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Looks like it could be time to 'fire up the Quatro' on Top Gear - with Philip Glenister tipped to take over. Excllent news for us ladies if true !
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Mags had to Google him to find out who he is. :oops:

I've never watched him on telly, so mixed reaction to him taking over from the gorilla. :? It will be a very hard act to follow and I wish him and any other new presenters that the Beeb decide on, good luck. They will need it.

Who will take over as his 2 sidekicks, I wonder?

Personally, being a petrol head, :oops: I will watch any new version of TG (or at least the first episode) then make up my mind, whether I will watch the others.

The three previous presenters, did have a very good relationship and that came across in the banter in the previous series of shows I watched. 250 million viewing figures worldwide, will be a very hard act to follow.

There is a new car show on Channel 5, the Classic car show. I watched one episode and never went back.

More for those interested in older/vintage cars, but did not rock my boat.
Quentin Willson droned on in a monotonous tone and I suspect he is there more for the advertisements for his warranty company that fill the ad slots, than anything else.

The original STIG from Top gear was on, testing James Bonds Aston Martin, yawn and some bloke best known for presenting a caravan show. ARRGGGHHH.

Jodie Kidd, (eye candy for men?) is a real petrol head, but the combo don't do it for me I'm afraid.

I expect, that one or other of the Networks will pick up on the 3 amigos soon and we will see another Car show with a similar format, in the not too distant future.

:cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I agree Khundon that the 3 amigos will be a hard act to follow, but I do think that Glenister would be a wise choice to make. However the format could probably change quite a bit as he seems to be more into classic and vintage. Time will tell, and maybe we shouldn't be looking for the exact same anyway because realistically it ain't going to happen.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Just as long as they do not let that egotistical, jabbering Mike Brewer anywhere near it, I may watch any new program. :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

^ Agree :bow:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

The difference between Glenister and the others is that he's an actor, not a journalist, not sure if that really matters these days but an interesting choice for a media organisation.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^But more crucially, he's a 'man's man' :roll: as well as being very popular with the ladies (for some unfathomable reason).
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Taken from: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33153633

Could be interesting, whilst slightly "toned down sports cars for these guys!: - a Fiat 124 Spider, a MGB GT and a Peugeot 304 Cabriolet.. :thumb:

Jeremy Clarkson's final appearance on Top Gear will be shown on 28 June, it has been announced.

The episode will be a 75-minute edition, airing at 20:00 BST on BBC Two, to conclude series 22.

It will be made up of two films shot before Clarkson was suspended from the show and eventually sacked, with co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May presenting links from the studio.

Last week the BBC trailed the episode, with a 30-second teaser.

The BBC said the first film will see the three presenters "immerse themselves in the lifestyle of the traditional classic car enthusiast".

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A U-Turn from the copper-top then....

Chris Evans to be New Top Gear Presenter

"TV and radio personality Chris Evans will replace Jeremy Clarkson as the lead presenter of an all-new Top Gear line-up, the BBC has announced.

Evans said he was "thrilled" to get the job, describing the motoring show as his "favourite programme of all time".

"I promise I will do everything I possibly can to respect what has gone on before and take the show forward," he added.

Clarkson was dropped in March after punching a producer while on location.

Car enthusiast Evans, who has signed a three-year deal with the BBC Two show, had been tipped to replace his good friend Clarkson but had previously insisted he was not interested.

An "all-new" line-up means Clarkson's co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May will not be involved."

Full Report: - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33158464
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Chris Evans has been announced as the new presenter for top gear. This is after he said he would never do Top gear. Will not be the same without Clarkson. He made the programme what it is, and made the BBC millions. Evans will not be an improvement.
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The TV viewing public generally have short memories. If the new setup does well initially, it will be interesting to see if the previous 3 are even remembered a year from now.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think that Chris Evans has the potential to produce a good alternative to the previous Top Gear format. I'll certainly be giving it a viewing to see how the shows compare.