'Closure' of Bangkok and roads from Jan 13

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Re: 'Closure' of Bangkok on Jan 13

Post by Terry »

Left the office early (around 4.30 pm) this evening upon the recommendation of the office 'guru'

Caught the BTS at Chon Nongsi heading North to Siam

First thing I noticed was that about 30 - 35% of the passengers were on their way to the demos - all wearing their T-shirts and whistle collars.

Upon passing the entrance to Lumpini Park, the several hundred participants seen in the morning had grown to several thousand - the park is also now a camping ground with tents everywhere.

Passing through Rajadamri station (which is normally empty), I could hear the din from nearby Ratchaprasong intersection outside Central World - but could not see too much as the train was packed.

Arrived at Siam and changed to the Sukhumvit Line heading East to get back to Asoke where I normally get off.

Going back past the Ratchaprasong intersection I could clearly see thousands blocking the north end of Rajadamri road as far as the eye could see.

Got to Asoke and the noise was deafening so decided to stay on the BTS and get off at Prom Phong. I'm glad I did because the whole of Asoke was choked up as far as you could see and the skywalk was also blocked.

Walking back to Soi 20, I noticed that middle and outside lanes of Sukhumvit westbound were turned into a car park..............

And so it goes on.

Not seen much sign of any military yet - hope it stays that way.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

As for any major disruption of air-travel?..let us all wait & see if the militant fraction of the 'Yellows' carryout their planned occupation of the air traffic control building on Wed..??
(Does this country have ANY security forces able to handle this threatened action??)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

usual suspect wrote:As for any major disruption of air-travel?..let us all wait & see if the militant fraction of the 'Yellows' carryout their planned occupation of the air traffic control building on Wed..?? (Does this country have ANY security forces able to handle this threatened action??)
I fail to see how the planned occupation of the office building will have any effect on air traffic. :? It is just the administration office, not the bloody control tower!

But then, some of these "people" are beyond belief. We kept my Granddaughter home from school today, as the school is at Klong Toei and close to one of the blocked areas, although the school was still open. NOW the school has decided to close until Friday! The whole country has known that today is the start of the blockages, but these idiots evidently know that it wil be all over by Friday! :banghead:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

usual suspect wrote:B.B. IF you decide to pack the 'outlaws' off on the HH-Korat bus they should be OK as this bus goes via Nakorn Pratom, & takes a Northerly route before linking up to the Saraburi road. :thumb:
The outlaws are moving on tomorrow on the Mukdahan bus. They didn't seem to think there'd be a problem (I hope not because we've got a big bag of lizards here that they're taking with them to eat when they get home :munch: )
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

For anyone interested in an un-biased report of what is going on in Bangkok, Stickman has a very good account along with photos. He remarks on the vast numbers of people involved, something that I have not seen mentioned on other media.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Nereus..it has been reported that students have threatened to take over the building occupied by the Aeronautical (something or other) of Thailand..which controls all air traffic in & out of here.
This occupation is planned for Wednesday.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It has also been rumored that a large group of Bangkok expats have threatened to "occupy" Nana Entertainment Plaza until the end of the protests. :wink:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

hhfarang wrote:It has also been rumored that a large group of Bangkok expats have threatened to "occupy" Nana Entertainment Plaza until the end of the protests. :wink:
:lach:

Very good... :laugh:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

usual suspect wrote:Nereus..it has been reported that students have threatened to take over the building occupied by the Aeronautical (something or other) of Thailand..which controls all air traffic in & out of here.
This occupation is planned for Wednesday.
Yes, I know mate. I was not having a shot at you! The office that they have threatened to take over is near the Stock Exchange building. It is the place all those with an inactive post go to pass the time with their cronies! It has no direct control over the air traffic at the airports. :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I guess tomorrow will determine how many joined the protests just for today? My other half did (she's mad), from 09.30 to 15.30, now back home in Korat. Free bus down.
Talk is cheap
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Today is more interesting, to see whether the shutdown was a one day wonder or if it will continue. I hope terry and others will continue to update us.
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

As I drove to my office this morning in the Silom/Surawongse district there were a few more cars on the road, when compared to yesterday, but the route still resembled a ghost town. None of my colleagues have reported any issues in getting to the office and most say that it would be good if the protests continue for a while as driving is much easier as long as you avoid the protest areas.

From my apartment I can see one of the main toll roads, into the city, and last evening and this morning the traffic was very light. Although public transport has been increased the busses seem pretty empty as does the BRT and entrances/exits from the Sky Train
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Day 2

My driver relented and said he could get me to Chon Nongsi today by car. Frankly I don't mind the BTS as the walk to and from Asoke station does this fat old geezer good.......... 8)

Anyways

Picked up at 08.05
Out of soi 20 and along Sukhumvit to the Asoke junction - sleepy demonstrators everywhere - but road ok.
South down Rachadaphisek - noting the abundance of new roadside noodle stalls to feed the masses.. :idea:

Got the junction with Rama IV at Khlong Toei where we were to turn right and head West. Problem.
We arrived just as a 1.5km long, banner waving, megaphone screaming, whistle blowing throng marched across the junction in front of us - heading East toward the junction of Sukhumvit at Phra Khanong.
My driver, after about 10 mins, eventually passed through - kindly enabled by a self-designated traffic controller and we headed west along Rama IV.

View of marchers along Rama IV, from the car
20140114_081801.jpg
20140114_081801.jpg (43.89 KiB) Viewed 270 times
20140114_081808.jpg
20140114_081808.jpg (53.54 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Upon reaching the left turn into Sathon Nua, I noticed that the flyover which was open yesterday had been barriered off – shapes of things to come I wonder.
Anyway – down Sathorn to just before the junction at Chon Nongsi where my driver did his usual stunt through the backstreets to the office.
Arrived at 08.50
It would have still been quicker by BTS.

Return journey this evening will be via BTS and Central World - might get interesting!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

....................................We arrived just as a 1.5km long, banner waving, megaphone screaming, whistle blowing throng marched across the junction in front of us - heading East toward the junction of Sukhumvit at Phra Khanong
My Condo is in the Soi right next to that junction. There is no sign of the mob here, but it is a fair step from Klong Toey to here. Maybe they will turn down Soi 26 at Big C in Rama 4 and head to Sukhumvit. The inbound lanes on Sukhumvit are flowing freely at the moment with traffic equal to about a Sunday.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Nereus

You could be right - mind you I never bothered to ask them where they were going.......... :wink:

Interesting times