What's the hottest (chilli) food you've ever eaten?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
lomuamart

What's the hottest (chilli) food you've ever eaten?

Post by lomuamart »

Just seen this article and it seems to me that some people have a death wish http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... in-britain
So, what's the craziest dish you've ever eaten?
Personally, I've knocked back the occasional birds eye chilli for a dare after too many Changs but generally don't like my food too hot although I have tried phaals before. Clearly there are some dishes that go way off the radar.
Crafack
Amateur
Amateur

Re: What's the hottest (chilli) food you've ever eaten?

Post by Crafack »

One of the first times we were in Thailand, I got a jungle curry that made my ears itch and gave me a serious case of hiccups.

But making food strong, "just because", like those referred to in the article makes no sense IMHO.

But... It gives the restaurant a story to tell, and a little free advertisement :D

From a foodie point of view, no way!

/Crafack
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't know if the hottest, but it is consistently very hot no matter where you get it. It's named Gang Penang, meaning Penang Curry more or less. Perhaps originated in Malaysia, I don't know. It's not something to have for breakfast. :laugh: However, I guess any curry can be as hot as the person making it wants it to be. I'm assuming the benchmark for this type is 4 chilies out of 5.

EDIT: Just found out it is spelled Panang, not Penang, so perhaps nothing to do with Malaysia at all. But...another source spells it Phanaeng.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

lomuamart wrote:Just seen this article and it seems to me that some people have a death wish http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... in-britain
Personally, I've knocked back the occasional birds eye chilli for a dare after too many Changs but generally don't like my food too hot although I have tried phaals before. Clearly there are some dishes that go way off the radar.
I went last year to the Dorset Chilli Festival. :dance:
It is a great day out! I bought the "Naga" Chilli plant grown locally. Phew!! It is really hot!
http://www.greatdorsetchillifestival.co.uk/gallery/
However :shock: My best "Chilli Story" comes from France :P I bought some "bonnet" type of chillies in the local market, cooked them...well tried to sauté them :twisted: Blimey!! We had the leave the house, our eyes were streaming, we were coughing, gasping for air :dance: :dance: :dance: They were the hottest stuff on the planet...well I thought so at the time! A word of warning when handling hot chillies...even after washing your hands...never take out your contact lenses, if you wear them. It's agonising :twisted: This also applies to gentlemen, please be careful what you do after chopping chillies with your bare hands.....well Mr S tells me so anyway :oops: Wear gloves!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Siani wrote:
lomuamart wrote:Just seen this article and it seems to me that some people have a death wish http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... in-britain
I went last year to the Dorset Chilli Festival. :dance:
It is a great day out! I bought the "Naga" Chilli plant grown locally. Phew!! It is really hot!
http://www.greatdorsetchillifestival.co.uk/gallery/
However :shock: My best "Chilli Story" comes from France :P I bought some "bonnet" type of chillies in the local market, cooked them...well tried to sauté them :twisted: Blimey!! We had the leave the house, our eyes were streaming, we were coughing, gasping for air :dance: :dance: :dance: They were the hottest stuff on the planet...well I thought so at the time! A word of warning when handling hot chillies...even after washing your hands...never take out your contact lenses, if you wear them. It's agonising :twisted: This also applies to gentlemen, please be careful what you do after chopping chillies with your bare hands.....well Mr S tells me so anyway :oops: Wear gloves!
My wife tells me to be careful where I put my hands as well :wink:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Some of the stuff I was tempted to try in Isaan made my eyes water just looking at it. They also have side dishes in the middle of the table (floor) with a pot of rat sh1t chillies to munch. I felt stupidly brave once and joined in only to be severely reprimanded by the wife for being such a prat.

A fellow member of the forum will testify to my having to have a minor operation up my rectum in the Bumrungrad (aptly named) hospital caused by an overdose of the aforementioned little chillies
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
moe
Amateur
Amateur

Post by moe »

What's the most spicy ordinary Thai food you can find regularly at restaurants here in Hua Hin? Ie is there something that stands out like the vindaloo for Indian food?

I usually go "pet maak maak, pet thai" when I order dishes that seems suitable for being served hot, like curries, laab salads, kaphrao, tom yum and other soups, etc, but I wouldn't mind kicking it up a bit.
buksida

Post by buksida »

DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0002.jpg (100.63 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
We have Dorset Nagas growing in the garden, they do pack a punch @ over 800k Scoville units compared to 300k in your average Thai chili.

As for Thai food, Southern Thai dishes are the hottest.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Chromeman
Professional
Professional

Post by Chromeman »

prcscct wrote:I don't know if the hottest, but it is consistently very hot no matter where you get it. It's named Gang Penang, meaning Penang Curry more or less. Perhaps originated in Malaysia, I don't know. It's not something to have for breakfast. :laugh: However, I guess any curry can be as hot as the person making it wants it to be. I'm assuming the benchmark for this type is 4 chilies out of 5.

EDIT: Just found out it is spelled Panang, not Penang, so perhaps nothing to do with Malaysia at all. But...another source spells it Phanaeng.
According to Wikipedia it is a Thai curry, and that is generally milder than other Thai curries... :wink:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Some of the worlds hottest chillies are grown in Bedfordshire and sold in Tesco stores
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Chromeman wrote:
prcscct wrote:I don't know if the hottest, but it is consistently very hot no matter where you get it. It's named Gang Penang, meaning Penang Curry more or less. Perhaps originated in Malaysia, I don't know. It's not something to have for breakfast. :laugh: However, I guess any curry can be as hot as the person making it wants it to be. I'm assuming the benchmark for this type is 4 chilies out of 5.

According to Wikipedia it is a Thai curry, and that is generally milder than other Thai curries... :wink:
I don't believe it at all. I've had many bowls of the other Thai curries and this Penang stuff was much hotter. Again, it may all be down to the chef making it. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Green papaya salad is a spicy salad made from shredded unripe papaya. Locally known in Cambodia as bok l'hong (Khmer: បុកល្ហុង), pronounced [ɓok lhoŋ], in Laos as tam som (Lao: ຕໍາສົ້ມ) or the more specific name tam maak hoong (Lao: ຕໍາໝາກຫຸ່ງ), in Thailand as som tam (Thai: ส้มตำ, pronounced [sôm tam]), and in Vietnam as goi du du. Som tam, the Thai variation, was listed at number 46 on World's 50 most delicious foods compiled by CNN Go in 2011.
The ones I have eaten in Hua Hin are very hot :dance:

In Thailand, it is customary that a customer ask the preparer to make the dish suited to his or her tastes. To specifically refer to the dish as prepared traditionally in Laos or Issan, it is known as ส้มตำลาว or som tam Lao or simply as tam Lao, and the dish as prepared in central Thailand may be referred to as som tam Thai.

Traditionally the local variety of green papaya salad in the streets of Bangkok is very hot due to the addition of a fistfull of chopped hot Bird's eye chili, however with its rising popularity among tourists, it is often served now not as hot.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

The hottest dish I've had here was the jungle curry at Peppers restaurant.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Siani
Legend
Legend

Post by Siani »

Apparently ....the hottest chilli in the world is Trinidad Moruga Scorpion :P This is according to the Scoville scale

Number 1 Hottest 1,500,000–2,000,000 Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Number 2 is 855,000–1,463,700 Naga Viper pepper
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

prcscct wrote:
Chromeman wrote:

I don't believe it at all. I've had many bowls of the other Thai curries and this Penang stuff was much hotter. Again, it may all be down to the chef making it. Pete :cheers:
Penang is generally not as hot as other curries. Are you perhaps sensitive to peanuts? That could be making it appear hotter than it otherwise would.