TOT Internet Issues

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: TOT Internet Issues - Is it only me?

Post by sateeb »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:00 am
sateeb wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 6:37 am Anyone else got no TOT internet connection this morning? I don't have fibre optic.

I also notice that G cable TV is down so i'm hoping its a local issue and not just me. Thap Tai area. :cheers:
Maybe it’s area specific or fibre (which is what we have) is not affected?

Cheers, just spoken with a neighbour who has fibre optic TOT and there's is working ok. I will give it to mid morning and then pop down to the office. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

As I've said on another thread, I've recently bought a new computer. I'd always thought that whilst an upgrade in hardware would make computer functions much quicker, it wouldn't have much effect on internet speed.

However, I've been impressed with my TOT fibre optic connection since buying the computer so decided to carry out some Ookla speed tests last night and this morning. I'm getting around 90 mbps d/l and 15 mbps u/l to London and 80/14 to LA.

With the old computer, d/ls were about 11 to London and 9 to N York. Can't remember what u/ls were.

That's a huge improvement especially when I wasn't expecting much. It's the same internet connection, testing to London and USA as always. Can they be right?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Lucky b'stard, I'm getting a tenth of that without the VPN on.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I'm with 3BB but I've found almost every time my internet speed drops, a reboot of my laptop shoves the speed right back up where it should be. The point is that regardless of internet speed provided, it can be adversely affected by your computer.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

lomuamart wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 12:46 pm As I've said on another thread, I've recently bought a new computer. I'd always thought that whilst an upgrade in hardware would make computer functions much quicker, it wouldn't have much effect on internet speed.

[...]That's a huge improvement especially when I wasn't expecting much. It's the same internet connection, testing to London and USA as always. Can they be right?
HHTel wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:16 pm I'm with 3BB but I've found almost every time my internet speed drops, a reboot of my laptop shoves the speed right back up where it should be. The point is that regardless of internet speed provided, it can be adversely affected by your computer.
Yes, I was equally surprised by the vastly improved internet speed (in the UK) when I bought my new pc recently. I'd assumed I wasn't getting the speed I paid for, but it was the laptop all along. Streaming, in particular, is a completely different experience now.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We seem to have drifted away from TOT, so I'll relay my AIS experience last week.

During Covid restrictions, my son is teaching using Zoom, as are many educational facilities. For convenience, he has purchased the licence. One of last week's classes had students from England, Scotland, Hungary, Sri Lanka, Chiang Mai and Hua Hin. 40 minutes into the session, he started experiencing Bandwidth problems, which became extreme on 50 minutes, and the session crashed on 55 minutes.

We contacted AIS, and their response was simple, "Why aren't you using 5G?"

Our response was just as simple, "We don't have 5G."

They checked everything out for a few minutes, including whether of not our hardware could handle 5G. They then confirmed we had 5G, but they'd never switched it on.

Another couple of minutes passed while they reconfigured our router remotely, and they told us to give it a go. Absolutely shit off a shovel speeds like I've never seen before + bandwidth problems resolved as well. I was always happy with my speeds before, but we're 5x faster than we ever were. Downloading a TV episode is virtually blink of an eye stuff. I don't need this speed, but I'll gladly accept it.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I think you mean 5 GHz WiFi, not 5G as in 5th generation telephony (the kind that causes covid-19 :) )
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

AIS call it 5G. You can call it Mickey Mouse for all that I care - I'm very impressed.

Points 48; Position 20
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Thanks for the update, BB...

What AIS hardware are you currently using? AIS is currently featuring 4 units wired for 5Ghz. Is yours one of them?

https://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/super_meshwifi.html
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That unit featured is certainly the same as I have, but I only have the one unit. I dont think I'd ever be more than 20' from the unit.

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

Adding to this existing thread as the title seems appropriate.
My TOT internet gives me an excellent speed when testing using Ookla and in general works okay but this afternoon and evening I have been having problems accessing my hotmail account and some youtube videos. I have found a way around it by using my VPN (Express VPN) which I am very happy with. Once I am using the VPN all is well. If I use my AIS mobile internet I have no problems accessing either.
Another issue I have been having is using my UK based firestick. I also had this issue when in ASQ a month ago. Using the VPN via the firestick or just logging on the BBC without the firestick I am unable to get sufficient bandwidth to stream anything properly without frequent buffering. Has anyone had a similar experience or got a solution.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:07 pm Adding to this existing thread as the title seems appropriate.
My TOT internet gives me an excellent speed when testing using Ookla and in general works okay but this afternoon and evening I have been having problems accessing my hotmail account and some youtube videos. I have found a way around it by using my VPN (Express VPN) which I am very happy with. Once I am using the VPN all is well. If I use my AIS mobile internet I have no problems accessing either.
Another issue I have been having is using my UK based firestick. I also had this issue when in ASQ a month ago. Using the VPN via the firestick or just logging on the BBC without the firestick I am unable to get sufficient bandwidth to stream anything properly without frequent buffering. Has anyone had a similar experience or got a solution.
I’m a TOT customer and also use Express VPN to watch UK TV programmes. For the past few weeks/months, the service has been very hit and miss with buffering problems, so I’d be interested to hear of anything that might improve the service.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, pray that AIS or even TRUE puts in a fiber optic cable near you.

I have the same TOT problems here in the east so it appears to be system wide. We all know TOT is the company that historically spends little on maintenance or system improvements throughout their operation. Proactive is not in their vocabulary.

My wife runs and bikes with the manager of the local office and even she has run out of promising things to say. Her standard line is ...."It's Bangkok...." :banghead:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Also having issues cannot pick up any emails via outlook since 16th.

Internet is stop start cannot get every website with page not found.

Switch to mobile AIS as a hotspot and all is ok.

Unsure what's occuring DNS issues?

Hope they sort it out today.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
buksida

Post by buksida »

Also use TOT and the service is patchy at best - even the mrs has problems running the Thai TV box they provided through it. I would imagine they're beefing up the state censors/filters and blacklists/firewalls again.

Leaving the VPN on alleviates 90% of the issues and actually improves the speed by 2-3x for me (though I don't use Hotmail).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson