Hua Hin Immigration clampdown on ID and 24hr reporting

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Re: Hua Hin Immigration clampdown on ID and 24hr reporting

Post by zeitgeist »

Thank you
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Sorry guys, I'm too busy today - will hopefully go tomorrow instead.
Well, I must tell lies - I've just come back from Immigration now :D

First things first, I had not heard about the 90 day reporting service window on here, so let me tell those who also haven't heard.

No need to go into the cozy air conditioned office any more. At the top of the ramp there's a little window. Knock on it, and like something from The Adams Family, a window opens, a hand comes out, takes your passport and the window closes again - not a word gets spoken.

About 5 minutes later, the window opens, you name is shouted, and your passport is handed back.

Mrs BB had been primed with the 3 questions, and asked them as she rushed up to collect my passport:

Q1. Does my husband need to carry his passport everywhere, or will his driving licence be sufficient for identification purposes?

A1. A Thai driving licence is sufficient for identification.

Q2. If my husband leaves the country, does he have to report to immigration within 24 hours when he returns?

A2. No, there is no requirement to report in 24 hours.

Q3. If my husband is away in Thailand for more than 48 hours, do I have to advise Immigration within 48 hours on his return?

A3. There is no requirement to report.

The girl at the window did not know the answers, and the information was relayed verbally by one of the immigration officers in full earshot of other immigration officers.

Disclaimer:

NB: This information was provided to me personally. While I personally will abide by what I was told, there is no guarantee that the answers given were correct. What I have been told is being shared by me - it is not the advice of Hua Hin Forum.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

That's all very helpful, BB. Thanks.
I might have phrased the first question a little differently by just asking if the passport needed to be carried for ID rather than including the driving license as well. It gave them the option to reply that the license suffices. However, for the likes of me and many tourists, we don't have a Thai license so I'm no clearer, with that in mind, whether I need to carry my passport or indeed any form of ID at all.
I'll try and clarify when I do my report and will remember the little window.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I wonder if there's a pretty face attached to the Adam's Family hand? Push in a note to meet for coffee and see what happens? :D
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote:I might have phrased the first question a little differently by just asking if the passport needed to be carried for ID rather than including the driving license as well.
With hindsight, you are 100% correct. However, it was a last minute decision to go this afternoon, and I didn't have very long to prime Mrs BB with the questions - I was literally doing it as I drove.

It will be interesting (maybe confusing) to hear if you get the same response as we did.
prcscct wrote:I wonder if there's a pretty face attached to the Adam's Family hand? Push in a note to meet for coffee and see what happens?
I didn't get a good look at the body behind the hand, but it was a helpful young lady.

Points 48; Position 20
Dog4me

Post by Dog4me »

I also went to immigration today and ask as followed ;

Q - Do I need carry my passport on me all the time ?
A - No

Q - What happen if police stop me without passport ?
A - Worst case, they will bring you to police station and you need provide them your ID asap (a friend bring for you)

Q - Do I need pay 2.000 B if I don´t have passport on me ?
A - No

Best solution for you are bring a copy (if no driver licence ect.) of passport w. entry/permit, I guess this same all over the world and why not be polite.

This what immigration told me today and I will follow this, but up 2 you what you do.
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

Yesterday afternoon police at the PTT gas station on the 35 in Samut Sakon and asked for ID.
Showed them my driver’s license, they then asked me where I was going, who I was with and that was it.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's really been confirmed already but to put the final nail in the coffin of this:
Just got back from Imm and asked the officer about carrying my passport. He just smiled, waved his hand dismissively and said "Don't you worry about that". I said it was all down to some stupid reporting in The Nation and again he just smiled.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is this really true? 3 people asking the same question in Thailand, and getting the same answer. :D

Seriously, good work and thank you. Until somebody reports that they've been victim of this same scenario, I am now confident that we can put it to bed.

Points 48; Position 20
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

lomuamart wrote:It's really been confirmed already but to put the final nail in the coffin of this:
Just got back from Imm and asked the officer about carrying my passport. He just smiled, waved his hand dismissively and said "Don't you worry about that". I said it was all down to some stupid reporting in The Nation and again he just smiled.

I think Thai Visa had a hand causing the confusion. People still need to be careful as there will be individuals in authority who will try and take advantage of the confusion.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

And BTW, BB. Saw your little window and went up to it but the lady outside the entrance called me over and told me to go into the office. I was the only person waiting so maybe when you turned up it was really busy inside? That or you're a better class of retiree then me!!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

dozer wrote: I think Thai Visa had a hand causing the confusion. People still need to be careful as there will be individuals in authority who will try and take advantage of the confusion.
I tend to agree. Certainly in the picture I saw of the TV staff who met with immigration I recognised one of the clowns. Years ago he was a regular bar crawling, girl groping slob down Binta and he was always confused

Nevertheless the LAW is the LAW whether regarding passports, driving licenses or work permits etc. If they want to pin you down they can.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote:I was the only person waiting so maybe when you turned up it was really busy inside? That or you're a better class of retiree then me!!
I would have thought the opposite. I had to sit outside with the flies and heat. You were invited into the air conditioned office :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:
lomuamart wrote:I was the only person waiting so maybe when you turned up it was really busy inside? That or you're a better class of retiree then me!!
I would have thought the opposite. I had to sit outside with the flies and heat. You were invited into the air conditioned office :wink:
Probably a tea (or tea money) break
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Hadn't thought of that, BB.