Thailand tourism situation

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Re: Thailand tourist slump continues

Post by Name Taken »

caller wrote:To be honest, the average tourist comes for what, 2/3 weeks at best. The don't have to worry about visa extensions or any other such nonsense. If they're staying away, then the reasons are not to do with red tape and so on. It will be the political climate, uncertainty, previous experiences, been there done it, bad press, murders, attacks, rip off stories, various embassy warnings and VFM.

The political situation isn't going to be resolved anytime soon, so all they can address are some of the other issues and they're not.
:agree:
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Some friends and I ventured to Binta last night and it was much busier, just like previous years! If I remember correctly we used to say Wednesday was the changeover day for many tourists, so the Christmas crowd might have landed!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Seems life in Pattaya will be relevantly peaceful this year

http://www.businessinsider.sg/russian-t ... .VJPi1QGsA
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Well, I don't reckon the bars/restaurants will get any busier than what I've seen tonight.

I've been to pick up a friend from the bus, and she's staying in a guest house at the back of Soi 80. Traffic in town was busy as normal. I turned into Soi 80, and it seemed very busy. Just my luck, had a ginormous lorry coming in the opposite direction. Typical Thailand, neither of us could reverse because there were immediately a dozen motorcycles behind both vehicles. A couple of Thai volunteers started moving parked motorcycles, and we eventually passed.

We checked my friend in and re-entered Soi 80 halfway down. A more relaxed drive this time, and each bar seemed close to capacity. Plenty of people walking about as well.

I drove my friend to the Soi 94 area (West of the railway crossing) for food, and everywhere was heaving - restaurants and bars alike. It might have been a slow start, but I think today is high season. Lets hope it lasts for a while.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

NOKYAI wrote:Some friends and I ventured to Binta last night and it was much busier, just like previous years! If I remember correctly we used to say Wednesday was the changeover day for many tourists, so the Christmas crowd might have landed!
Bars were still 'sorta' open at 2.30am. I understand :oops:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Good news if they can get away with it. Let them maximise profits and keep customers happy while it lasts.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Well, I don't reckon the bars/restaurants will get any busier than what I've seen tonight.
I think I was a little optomistic. When I took our friend back to her digs at 22:40, bar occupancy on the top half of Soi 80 was probably less than 10%.

Points 48; Position 20
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Big Boy wrote:
Big Boy wrote:Well, I don't reckon the bars/restaurants will get any busier than what I've seen tonight.
I think I was a little optomistic. When I took our friend back to her digs at 22:40, bar occupancy on the top half of Soi 80 was probably less than 10%.
I think you hit the 'happy hour' expat mob earlier on. I understand they descend in droves late afternoons and early evening when the prices are low. As soon as the 'hour' is up they drift back to their nearby 'mom & pop' shops
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

richard wrote:
Big Boy wrote:
I think you hit the 'happy hour' expat mob earlier on. I understand they descend in droves late afternoons and early evening when the prices are low. As soon as the 'hour' is up they drift back to their nearby 'mom & pop' shops
Or
To keep our Thai other half reasonably happy/smooth operating of the family home some of us may have a self imposed curfew!!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

And not forgetting, some people just like to have a drink in the afternoon!
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

I've never had a need to visit Bangkok during peak high season until now. Checked available rooms at one of the most popular hostel / guesthouses, one that is often sold out of their cheapest rooms during low season in a normal year. Basic singles are sold out for 24th and 25th, otherwise there have basic singles, doubles and triples from tonight through the 31st. Ouch.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Binta very busy lunchtime today . lots of annual faces and plenty of money going into the coffers
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just back from Ao Manao - just like low season.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote:Just back from Ao Manao - just like low season.
I was around Khao Kalok and Dolphin bay today and it was also very quiet, mind you, that's why I went there as I couldn't get a table for lunch on the beach in Hua Hin yesterday.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

TAT has announced that it expects tourist numbers to increase next year, as they issue the numbers you can be sure that this will happen-its called a self-fulfilling prophesy.