Buying a new laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
buksida

Re: Buying a new laptop

Post by buksida »

The i3 is Intel's lowest tier processor, it won't be blistering fast. Also has low-powered graphics but you said that wasn't a priority.

You haven't mentioned the price but I'd estimate a machine of that spec going for 12-14k - it is a basic, low-end laptop, but should be good enough for office work, internet, and watching movies.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OK, back to the drawing board then. Even with Lazada's best deal, it's 2,500 over your top end. :cry:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

That will be the Windows license you're paying the extra for.

Edit: if it is something you're going to be using daily, why not pay a little more and get a half-decent spec one for 18-20k?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think the18-20k is the new 30+. The specs of everything I was seeing was pretty dire. I thought it was Hua Hin mark up, but Lazada seems to confirm the prices as about right.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It looks as though the ancient laptop will have an extended life, and I won't be getting a birthday present. :cuss:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

I think Covid and shipments has something to do with it - as you know everything in Thailand is imported and taxed accordingly. Computer hardware seems to be heavily affected, I'm in the market for a new graphics card and the prices are astronomical - if you can find a decent one here at all.

Bad time to be a computer buyer is the bottom line, hence the growing market for refurbs.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's also a worldwide chip shortage that's affecting every device or machine that needs one.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:16 pm I think Covid and shipments has something to do with it - as you know everything in Thailand is imported and taxed accordingly. Computer hardware seems to be heavily affected, I'm in the market for a new graphics card and the prices are astronomical - if you can find a decent one here at all.

Bad time to be a computer buyer is the bottom line, hence the growing market for refurbs.
I will make do with what I've got, 17K for what you describe as a basic, low-end laptop is OTT. To get a machine with anything resembling a better spec was at least least double the price. TIT if they aren't selling well, put the prices up.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Couple of thoughts

The latest Tiger Lake i3 processors aren't all that bad. You can certainly get lower spec, such as Intel celeron, and some AMD processors. The i3 has 2 cores providing 4 threads. Of course it all depends on what you want to do.

You could try buying a laptop without Windows. It used to be that in Thailand it was difficult to buy one with Windows, maybe that's changed. But you can always download and install Windows 10 yourself. I don't think it's compulsory to activate it anymore, and during installation you can skip entering a product key. I'm sure Mr Don could do a clean install for you. You get the occasional nag message, but so what?

Use the money saved on Windows to get more memory, for example. Or external hard drive or two.

https://www.windowscentral.com/you-do-n ... windows-10
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It isn't a low spec that bothers me, and I have every faith in Mr Don. Even the money doesn't bother me. My gripe is the fact prices have escalated for no apparent reason. Actually finding the best deal in Bluport of all places was a big surprise. Then finding that I was being charged 20% over the top didn't surprise me for Bluport, but that excess cost was across the board. I rarely shop in Bluport because I won't pay their prices. However, I would have expected Bluport to lower their prices, not the rest raise them to Bluport levels.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

The chip shortage Pete mentioned and shipping disruptions are the reasons for the price hikes. Of course there is a "Thai Premium" on everything here, but it has occurred in Malaysia also:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/what-you ... ns/1948586
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:57 pm
buksida wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:16 pm I think Covid and shipments has something to do with it - as you know everything in Thailand is imported and taxed accordingly. Computer hardware seems to be heavily affected, I'm in the market for a new graphics card and the prices are astronomical - if you can find a decent one here at all.

I will make do with what I've got, 17K for what you describe as a basic, low-end laptop is OTT. To get a machine with anything resembling a better spec was at least least double the price. TIT if they aren't selling well, put the prices up.

Thanks for the help anyway.
I recently bought a laptop in Europe for the equivalent of 25,000bt and that was at the lower end of the market, I know Luxembourg is a wealthy country but I was surprised that the shops I visited were full of laptops priced from about 1,200 to way over 2,000 Euros.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

To me, this is no different to lottery sellers charging 100฿ for an 80฿ ticket. An unwarranted mark up that I go loopy with when Mrs BB pays it. It soon becomes that 100฿ is the recognised price. 20฿ isn't going to break the bank, far from it. It is the daylight robbery that I object to.

When I bought my current laptop, the £ was stronger and I think all in I paid under 12,000฿. The £ or $ for that matter has gone down in value significantly, so the basic price should have dropped in Thailand. Shipping costs (fuel have also dropped. Allow for inflation, maybe I should be paying 14K for a similar spec today. No, they want more. While people are prepared to pay that extra, more will become the norm, and when they get away with that, they'll up the price another 20%.

I was quite excited yesterday at the thought of a new machine. I am now totally deflated and very annoyed at mindless profiteering

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Whilst my toys are out of the pram, burying my dummy, how's about this one for around 21,000฿?
spec.png
spec.png (54.84 KiB) Viewed 155 times

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

That's pretty much what I would buy when looking for a new one, though being a casual gamer I'd pay a little more for a better graphics card.