New Hua Hin bypass road proposed

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

New Hua Hin bypass road proposed

Post by buksida »

Prachuap Khiri Khan Governor Veera Sriwattanatrakul has submitted a land and air transport development plan to the minister of transport in the hope to stimulate tourism and economic growth in the province.

For land transport, the plan suggests the construction of one more bypass road from the famous tourist city Hua Hin. The road is expected to help reduce traffic congestion in the city. Phetkasem road from Hua Hin to Pran Buri will also be expanded from two to four lanes to accommodate 20,000 cars/day using the road. Similarly, Dan Singkhon road will be expanded to four lanes ahead of the opening of a permanent border crossing point there.

For air transport, runways in the Hua Hin Airport will be lengthened to accommodate more foreign flights.

Source: PRD
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Re: New Hua Hin bypass road proposed

Post by JamesWest »

i wonder if they will build the road the same way they did in front of the new water park? almost impossible to navigate and so many scooter accidents as everyone is trying to get to the now blocked big soi 112 market. it is impossible to travel south from the front of the market without going against traffic. i see many cars trying to do it everyday!

and there is only one road south out of town. do we have months and months of construction to look forward to on what I call the "highway of death?"

of course i love all of this stuff... would not change it for the world.
beats playing golf any day and a great source of adrenaline, endorphins, serotonin and dopamine.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

JamesWest wrote:i wonder if they will build the road the same way they did in front of the new water park? almost impossible to navigate and so many scooter accidents as everyone is trying to get to the now blocked big soi 112 market. it is impossible to travel south from the front of the market without going against traffic. i see many cars trying to do it everyday!

I used to think that, but once you study (and obey - TIT :banghead: ) the road layout it is very safe. Problems are caused by ignorance/laziness.
JamesWest wrote:and there is only one road south out of town. do we have months and months of construction to look forward to on what I call the "highway of death?"
No there are 3 routes South - OK, one does take you a long way West to the by-pass. I rarely take the road South by the water park these days.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The traffic system outside the water park is very sensible. If everyone followed the rules traffic would be a lot safer. The problem is that Thai drivers try to circumvent any system no matter how good. They haven't a clue about roundabouts even when the signage explains it for them. Go figure.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

it is impossible to travel south from the front of the market without going against traffic. i see many cars trying to do it everyday!
So, like any dual carriageway the world over, you follow on and do a U-turn that is provided!!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

HHTel wrote:The traffic system outside the water park is very sensible. If everyone followed the rules traffic would be a lot safer. The problem is that Thai drivers try to circumvent any system no matter how good. They haven't a clue about roundabouts even when the signage explains it for them. Go figure.
I'm glad you mentioned roundabouts, in the UK the rule is you give way to traffic coming from the right. In Thailand it seems to be first come,first served.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

The way I see it the traffic beyond the flyover, be it going South or incoming northbound traffic travels pretty well on the Pranburi Rd..except for the speed-merchants & minivans that feel the need to forge a 'middle-lane'.. :banghead:

But widening that stretch of road will do nothing to ease the gridlock in town..my suggestion would be to make an elevated road the full length from somewhere near the HH hospital, right the way to the Takiap Jtn. Maybe only have lanes coming OFF..& no intermediate slips going up/on so traffic keeps (we hope) flowing...leaving traffic 'downstairs' to navigate in town & 'upstairs' for thru' traffic.
They have managed to shoehorn a centre reservation along Pekky Rd..now lets see some cement pillars sprout out of it..
... :thumb: :thumb:
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

dundrillin wrote:
HHTel wrote:The traffic system outside the water park is very sensible. If everyone followed the rules traffic would be a lot safer. The problem is that Thai drivers try to circumvent any system no matter how good. They haven't a clue about roundabouts even when the signage explains it for them. Go figure.
I'm glad you mentioned roundabouts, in the UK the rule is you give way to traffic coming from the right. In Thailand it seems to be first come,first served.
actually i think the proper rule is you give way to the roundabout,if i enter roundabout first it doesnt give you the right to run into me if you are entering from my right side.

http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/Documents/Road ... oundabouts
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The rule here is the same as in the UK. At the roundabout at the end of 112 they have even put the rule under each roundabout sign as you approach. The land traffic act says the same. It's a pity the Thai government doesn't produce a 'Highway Code' handbook to be issued to drivers.

Section 73 (500 – 1000B)
[A driver must comply with traffic signals and signs which are installed at a circle (rotary). (1000B)

If there's no traffic signal or sign installed at a circle (rotary), a driver must give way to vehicles coming from his right. (500B)
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

TRAFFIC-LAWS-2.JPG
TRAFFIC-LAWS.JPG
TRAFFIC-LAWS.JPG (40.69 KiB) Viewed 1385 times
TRAFFIC LAWS.JPG
HHTel wrote: It's a pity the Thai government doesn't produce a 'Highway Code' handbook to be issued to drivers.
I suppose you mean "in english", ?
There are many handbooks in thai like these ones, and you can download a few PDF too.

I just found a bilingual one.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

:offtopic: This is about a new bypass construction - please discuss traffic laws and signs in the motoring section.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

One thing that they could do to help bypass the town is improve the 1010 to make a better way of avoiding the city to the north now you have soi 112 to do it to the south. It's not a bad road already but if they improved the turn off onbPetchakasem and put a bridge over the rail crossing, it would be better and it joins the canal road extension as well. ( The 1010 is the road after Isuzu, on the way to Cha Am, that joins the bypass near Lake View golf.)
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

The 1001 between Petchkasem (Springfield hotel) and the bypass (Springfield golf) is being dualed at the moment - whether it will be four lanes or just two remains to be seen.
They have also removed the centre divider of Petchkasem at the hotel end as if there are plans for either a cross roads with or without traffic lights or, the most sensible but least likely, a roundabout.
That would be an effective Cha-Am bypass for Hua Hin traffic if it's four lanes.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Frank Hovis wrote:The 1001 between Petchkasem (Springfield hotel) and the bypass (Springfield golf) is being dualed at the moment - whether it will be four lanes or just two remains to be seen.
They have also removed the centre divider of Petchkasem at the hotel end as if there are plans for either a cross roads with or without traffic lights or, the most sensible but least likely, a roundabout.
That would be an effective Cha-Am bypass for Hua Hin traffic if it's four lanes.
That would achieve the same thing as improving the 1010 and a couple of elevated U-turns on Pecthakasem would help as well.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Slightly out of town & a bit westward, if you take Soi 88 towards the by-pass you'll come to a X-Rds/Jtn with the road running South from the Pala U Rd.
IF you turn left towards Pranburi you'll pass a school on your left, then a temple.
Immediately after the temple they've carved/cleared a great wide slice of countryside which cuts across finally onto 112 just west of the Banyan turning..this is indeed looking like a future road also..??