Have You Ever Been Targeted and Stitched Up By The Police?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.

Been stung by the Royal Thai Police for being farang?

Yes, happens a lot
8%
Once or twice... No biggie
19%
Never
73%

Total votes: 26

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Have You Ever Been Targeted and Stitched Up By The Police?

Post by GLCQuantum »

Just out of interest this one. I here about westerners being targeted for a shake down and wallet check from various sources. I must be living in a cave as I don't see it. I DO see racism on a weekly basis and understand that I'm looked at as an inferior species here, but I haven't seen this 'Rinse the Foreigner' attitude being shown by the Thai Police.

I've had one serious situation in ten years. Partly my fault. Got set up. Other than that I've had no issues with police trying to take my money from me for doing nothing wrong.

How many of you have been targeted due to the color of your skin?

No helmet - doesn't count
No driving license - doesn't count
Drunk on a bike - doesn't count
Any other illegal activities... Yup... Don't count.

:cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: Have You Ever Been Targeted and Stitched Up By The Polic

Post by STEVE G »

I see that the police in Bangkok have just been ordered to stop doing it:
http://www.thephuketnews.com/police-cur ... -51026.php
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

I have a very good friend and long time HH resident that has left HH partially due to his run in with the law here. While driving his truck he was hit by a 14 year old kid on a motorbike who was speeding with no license whom was 100% at fault. They arranged to meet the boys family at the police station and in Thai fashion offered to help the poor family with a minor hospital bill and fix their motorbike. It was at that time this notoriously crooked traffic cop some of you many have seen in town sporting a out of place bushy moustache tried extorting 150,000 BT out of them for damages. It was lucky they had a connection in the local police department that they quickly called. Five minutes later the Sargent, Commander or what ever his title is here stepped out of his office said a few words and and the matter was immediately dropped. Oh yes, you can bet. They're here!
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

^

It seems your friend got away fine. Just a single copper trying to pull a sneaky. Your friend knew another Thai cop who dealt with it. In regards to car crashes they'll try and squeeze money out of their own if they think the guy can afford it.

I should add, and unrelated to the above, that if you are hanging around red-light areas you should have no complaints about being given a shake down. I think it was happening a lot in Sukhi Rd BKK. SteveG's link suggests that too.

Lesson for tourists - try not to hang around seedy areas with seedy people.

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

In my 18 years year, I have never been a victim of crooked police. Two fines (200 baht each time) for no helmet.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

I voted 'Never' because there is no way that the police could possibly have known the colour of my skin when they flagged me to stop.
They could still be profiling the car of course, anyone that watches Thai soaps knows criminals drive black cars with tinted windows.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

By Sukhi Rd do you mean Sukhumvit. If so that is NOT a seady area--there are 2 seedy areas in close proximity--Cowboy and Nana Plaza, but on the whole it is a quite respectable very expensive street with many high end hotels and restaurants.
Hobiecat
Professional
Professional

Post by Hobiecat »

GLCQuantum wrote:^

It seems your friend got away fine. Just a single copper trying to pull a sneaky. Your friend knew another Thai cop who dealt with it. In regards to car crashes they'll try and squeeze money out of their own if they think the guy can afford it.
I'm not sure I understand your original question?
Why is it called 'after dark' when it really is 'after light'?
snagsbootneck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by snagsbootneck »

whilst driving from Phuket to Hun Hin with my wife and 2 young children (fast asleep) in our Hilux (not speeding) I was pulled over by a highway cop, for no reason that I could fathom. Driving licence tax all in date and and good, charged me 500 baht for not wearing a t-shirt in the car. Note my tints are about 50% on all windows so there is no way he could have seen. As soon as i stopped i put a t-shirt on to talk to him. As a result a screaming 2 year old and crying wife for the next 30 minutes, the red mist descended, but what can you do???
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

snagsbootneck wrote:whilst driving from Phuket to Hun Hin with my wife and 2 young children (fast asleep) in our Hilux (not speeding) I was pulled over by a highway cop, for no reason that I could fathom. Driving licence tax all in date and and good, charged me 500 baht for not wearing a t-shirt in the car. Note my tints are about 50% on all windows so there is no way he could have seen. As soon as i stopped i put a t-shirt on to talk to him. As a result a screaming 2 year old and crying wife for the next 30 minutes, the red mist descended, but what can you do???

thats not the first time i have heard about a fine for no t shirt and to be honest i wish they would hand a few more out ,i really hate seeing people riding scooters with out a t shirt , its dangerous and if you ever read a book on thailand it says its a no no to be topless anywhere but the beach or when swimming etc . the amount of ladies you see walking in bikinis too on the streets is also a bug bear of my wifes ,thais do not like it
gerryha

Post by gerryha »

Totally agree about topless men riding scooters. A 70 yr old man with saggy moobs shows a lack of respect for Thailand,anyone who is unfortunate enough to see them and ofcourse a total lack of self respect and social awareness
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

15 years in Thailand, riding and driving more than average and absolutely no problem with the police. The few fines I had to pay were fully justified. One accident riding a big bike, Thai driving a minibus, I was unconscious when the police declared the minubus driver fully responsible. Nearly 500.000 Baths were paid after 8 months struggle with the minibus inusurance.
The police acted correctly, did not try to get money from me.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think you'll find that it is illegal to drive a car or bike bare-chested. The police can give a ticket for this offence.

IMO more tickets should be handed out!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote:IMO more tickets should be handed out!!
:agree: While law enforcement is a joke, it will be treated as such. Zero tolerance for a couple of months, and people would soon learn.

OK, people would still break the law, but being caught would be taken more seriously, unless you're a Bangkok hi-so.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

In 16 years I can recall 3 instances that were clearly not for any real traffic violation, or for any other reason than to extract additional personal income.

Once, for driving without a passport (Yes, i know technically this is an offense). Once for passing through a red light on a road that did not have any traffic lights, only 200THB so no need to make a big deal, just pay.

The above were many many years ago.

The third, and much more worrying was my wife, who was stopped on Asoke in BKK. It was late at night, she was breathalyzed and passed, she was breathalyzed and passed again. After the police fiddled with the device, she was breathalyzed for a 3rd time and failed (My wife does not drink). They asked for 5,000THB. My wife only had 1,000 and was willing to pay that, but they would not accept. She was eventually frog-marched by 2 officers, to an ATM and forced to withdraw THB5,000 for which no receipt was issued.

My wife realises that she should have been stronger, and defended herself, but it was late at night and the Police stop was very intimidating for her.

Next time, I have instructed her to scream RAPE as loud as possible.

This last case was much more than simple police intimidation, it was a mugging.

I'm in Bangkok most of the time, and my office is in Ekamai so I am not far from Thonglor (a very upmarket part f Bangkok, in no way seedy as suggested above). However, the foot and bike patrol police are very common, and it is clear that they have been targeting foreigners recently. My colleague, who has only been in Thailand for 3 months now, has been stopped 4 times driving his car (Once he was waved through a Police Stop, and then another officer shouted out, Falang! and another officer jumped in front of his car. He too, is a tea totaller, in each of the occasions he was not fined, and free to continue.

I am stopped frequently in Cha Am, but in all occasions, after a short chat, am sent on my way without and additional requests.

In and around Bangkok, I am stopped driving frequently, and have paid fines for real minor offenses, and this I accept as I was in the wrong. For simple random checks (of which there are quite a few), I am simply allowed to continue.
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....