Dates when no alcohol sold in Hua Hin

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Big Boy

Re: Dates when no alcohol sold in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

I believe 18:00 Saturday until 23:59 Sunday are designated as a no alcohol period due to the elections.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Do you know whether that includes BKK (I'll be there over the weekend) as elections are only outside of BKK, i.e. Provincial elections. I believe Pattaya is also a 'special administration'.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No sorry, it had completely passed me by until a friend mentioned he was getting a weekend off the booze. I've seen nothing official.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There are several news reports that an alcohol ban will be enforced from 1800 Saturday thru Sunday. Some say there's been no official order as yet and one newspaper says that the alcohol ban is built into Election Law.
Can't find anything to say whether it applies to BKK where there are no elections.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

HHTel wrote:There are several news reports that an alcohol ban will be enforced from 1800 Saturday thru Sunday. Some say there's been no official order as yet and one newspaper says that the alcohol ban is built into Election Law.
Can't find anything to say whether it applies to BKK where there are no elections.
Probably not, but wondered if restaurants could serve alcohol, in the same way that they did for a time around April

Of course, what they actually do and what they're entitled to do are two separate matters

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/no ... -elections

Possibly in an effort to make sure no one stumbles to the voting polls and casts their ballots drunk, alcohol will be banned from 6pm Saturday until 6pm Sunday during Thailand’s municipal council elections across the country.

Selling booze during the 24-hour ban carries a pretty hefty fine: up to 6 months in jail and a fine up to 10,000 baht. Bars, nightclubs and other entertainment venues can remain open, but they are prohibited from selling alcohol, according to Phuket Election Commission director general Passakon Siripakayapon.

Drinking alcohol at home is still allowed, as long as it is not sold, he adds. (So stock up before Saturday night.)

Thailand’s Election Act was revised in September 2018, banning alcohol during elections. According to The Sun, Thai authorities decided to ban alcohol during elections to prevent voting manipulation and bribery. Apparently, canvassers used to throw parties right before the election (or possibly during) to get more votes.

This week, voters will elect representatives for the Provincial Administration Organisation, or PAO. Voting is compulsory for Thai citizens. While failing to vote doesn’t carry a fine, a person could lose up to 6 citizen’s rights for not casting a ballot.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
robcar
Professional
Professional

Post by robcar »

My boozing buddy and myself have been trying to find out why we have been unable to buy our beers this week at Chill Chill Bar. Most folk we ask don't have a clue.............. just like us :cheers: :cry: :cry: :cry:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

robcar wrote:My boozing buddy and myself have been trying to find out why we have been unable to buy our beers this week at Chill Chill Bar. Most folk we ask don't have a clue.............. just like us :cheers: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Should be called Chilly Willy bar this week...

Sent from my M2007J20CT using Tapatalk

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Maybe because all the bars are shut on governor's orders, as well as alcohol sales in restaurants!

I'm only guessing....!!!!
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

robcar wrote:My boozing buddy and myself have been trying to find out why we have been unable to buy our beers this week at Chill Chill Bar. Most folk we ask don't have a clue.............. just like us :cheers: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think they are trying to reduce the incidents of drunk farang falling off bar stools and hitting their heads. This takes up valuable hospital resources that may be needed for covid patients (or drunk somchai falling off scooters)

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

nowt.jpg
nowt.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Points 48; Position 20
fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

On Sunday 28th there are elections for mayor in Hua Hin. Will bars be shut from 6pm on Saturday 27th thru 6pm on 28th ?

Anyone heard ?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Bars don't necessarily have to close, but they cannot serve alcohol during an election. That's been the status quo for many years.
robcar
Professional
Professional

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by robcar »

:cheers: Sorry if this is slightly off topic......... I personally have not seen any details of when we are allowed once again to buy a beer or 3 from the bars in Hua Hin. I'm a regular at Bhan Kuhn Por and am missing my nightly tipple or 3. Does anyone have any info that I have missed. I have asked some of the Bar Staff and they seem to be as clueless as me. :cheers:
Last edited by robcar on Sun May 09, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by HHTel »

Only that the first regulation that expired on May 4th has been extended for a further 14 days which puts it to around the 18th. There could well be a further extension. We'll have to wait and see.