RIP Richard Sabin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Richard Sabin

Post by caller »

I've just had a reply from Emma and even via email, she sounds all in!
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ Yes quite. I had the same feeling.

Just a quick question, how easy is it to set up a fund in Thailand/Hua Hin (and would anybody be prepared to do so) for those living there who want to contribute and avoid paying needless transfer charges?

I'm in the UK, so would transfer directly to Emma's account.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Does anyone know how to set up a GoFundMe site? This would be ideal for Richard's cause, and it's easy to transfer funds wherever you are in the world. Perhaps this should be done by Emma?

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

Sorry, just checked their site and they take about 8% percent of the donations. Thought it was free. :( What about Richard's bank account here in Thailand? Can the girls get access to it (so anyone can pay into it)? It'd just make it a lot easier for his friends who are living here.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ VS, I had suggested to Emma setting up a "fund" of sorts, but obviously she has an awful lot on her plate and very little time - she was agreeable to the notion, but did ask for some help with the set-up.

Also, apparently they are also having some issues with Richard's Thai bank account - usual Thai issues I guess, so for any donations, Emma has asked that they go directly to her account.

[EDIT] As you say of course, an account/fund in HH/Thailand would be far easier to contribute to for those living there, which was my initial point.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Post by PeteB »

It is a long time since I posted on this board, although I have been a member for just over 11 years.

I have been a friend of Richard since the late 70s and got in contact with him through Buksi on this forum, back in 2004. My wife and I have been travelling to SE Asia for many years and almost always (1 or 2 times a year) look Richard up. He stays with us when in UK. Many of you will know me.

A group of us are looking to find a simple funding solution in UK, but as there is no Charity involved and Crowdfunding doesn't fit the bill (various site regulations) we too are at a loss.

All I can say is that Richard is a great bloke, his daughters are lovely and neither they nor Richard deserve to be in this position.

If his friends on this board can think of any way to assist, please do. Richard is badly incapacitated, his daughters are at their wits end, in a very strange country (and staying in Patpong). If any members of this forum are able to help please do. As caller said in an earlier post Emma sounds all in - as does her younger sister, Polly.

Thanks and regards to all

Peter
If a Yorkshireman puts his hand in his pocket - fret not!
He'll just be checking his ferret.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

PeteB wrote:It is a long time since I posted on this board, although I have been a member for just over 11 years.

I have been a friend of Richard since the late 70s and got in contact with him through Buksi on this forum, back in 2004. My wife and I have been travelling to SE Asia for many years and almost always (1 or 2 times a year) look Richard up. He stays with us when in UK. Many of you will know me.

A group of us are looking to find a simple funding solution in UK, but as there is no Charity involved and Crowdfunding doesn't fit the bill (various site regulations) we too are at a loss.

All I can say is that Richard is a great bloke, his daughters are lovely and neither they nor Richard deserve to be in this position.

If his friends on this board can think of any way to assist, please do. Richard is badly incapacitated, his daughters are at their wits end, in a very strange country (and staying in Patpong). If any members of this forum are able to help please do. As caller said in an earlier post Emma sounds all in - as does her younger sister, Polly.

Thanks and regards to all

Peter
Peter - I've just e mailed Emma. Very sadly I can't offer any financial support. I only wish that i could. But earlier this year I advised Richard on what to expect benefits wise if he returned to England, which he was seriously thinking about doing due to health problems. I was hoping that he would come back for his own good, but the stubborn old sod clearly hasn't.
All I can say now is that the Bangkok Christian Hospital on Silom is - in my experience - a very caring and professional place. And that I believe that Richard deep down wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I don't pray - but I am making an exception for Richard bless him.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It's worth saying, that if he could get back to the UK, because his situation is serious, that he would receive immediate and free treatment on the NHS.
Talk is cheap
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

That may not be correct , when I referred patients to hospital I had to tick a box stating that the patient was resident in the UK. It always seemed unfair that you could have paid your taxes for 50 years but if you were out of the country for say 1 year you cannot get NHS treatment.

However if you presented as an emergency I would hope you would get treatment.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Sad to hear of Richards plight in Thailand, but it seems he is in a good hospital and getting treatment.

If he has Deep Vein Thrombosis as bad as it seems, I very much doubt that he would be allowed to fly back to the UK for treatment, as the hospital would not issue a "Fit to fly" certificate.

However, if it was possible for him to get back to the UK and he presented himself at A&E, he would be treated on the NHS. Getting him there, is the problem.

Being in Thailand with serious health problems and no insurance, is always a gamble, which I'm sure Richard was aware of.
I wish him and his daughters well and hope he recovers soon.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dundrillin wrote:However if you presented as an emergency I would hope you would get treatment.
That's the bottom line. The NHS will always provide free treatment for emergencies.

But also, if upon return, it's the intention of becoming a permanent resident again, then Richard would qualify for all the NHS has to offer with immediate effect.
Talk is cheap
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Post by PeteB »

Hi margaretcarnes,

I expect that you have received my email. I will contact you again, if you don't mind, a little later today. I would appreciate a little advice.

Many thanks

Peter
If a Yorkshireman puts his hand in his pocket - fret not!
He'll just be checking his ferret.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

caller wrote:
dundrillin wrote:However if you presented as an emergency I would hope you would get treatment.
That's the bottom line. The NHS will always provide free treatment for emergencies.

But also, if upon return, it's the intention of becoming a permanent resident again, then Richard would qualify for all the NHS has to offer with immediate effect.

For the benefit of any Brit expats who find themselves in Richards situation in the future, I'd just like to confirm what Caller says. The intention of permanent residency is key. (You can always change your mind again later!)
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Name Taken
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Name Taken »

I only know Richard here on the forum, but I'm sorry to hear that he is having health problems.
I hope his health improves and he makes a full recovery.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Any update on his health?
GN.