Buying a pickup truck

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Buying a pickup truck

Post by migrant »

I've kicked around what to buy in Thailand. Having a new house built, and being the kind of guy that likes to putter around I'm thinking a truck. I've had trucks here in the states and like them.

For the last 5 years, when we go to Thailand, we get to use my FIL's Toyota Hilux (diesel). It's got roomy backseats for when we have more than 2 people and have found it good to drive. We put more miles in three weeks than he puts the rest of the year.

But I'm not a auto-wise kind of guy so am reaching out to my forum brethren asking for thoughts, suggestions. At first I was thinking the Pajero, but for the price tag it sounds like we could almost get the two, truck and smaller car. Mrs migrant also finds, even the smaller SUV's like the pajero and CRV a little big for her

Diesel, gas, truck or not. Mrs migrant doesn't like big vehicles, but I do all the driving anyway. We will probably get a smaller car also if need be for her.

So what have you all experienced, know, think?

Thanks!! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Trucks

Post by hhfarang »

One thing I found out right away. The missus was out of the house shopping, visiting friends, running errands, etc. a lot more than me so when we only had one vehicle I was stranded at home a lot when I did need to go somewhere! It only took a few months to realize we needed two vehicles, so a truck and a small car may be your answer.

My thoughts: Are either of those comfortable on a medium to long road trip. I assume in retirement in a new country, you'll be doing a lot of those. That's why I got a CRV; comfortable for road trips and lots of room for (the missus) luggage, dogs, golf clubs, etc. Also, everyone I knew that had a pickup ended up getting some kind of shell or hard cover for the back as anything you leave in the bed is very susceptible to thievery and bad weather.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

hhfarang wrote: My thoughts: Are either of those comfortable on a medium to long road trip. I assume in retirement in a new country, you'll be doing a lot of those. That's why I got a CRV; comfortable for road trips and lots of room for (the missus) luggage, dogs, golf clubs, etc. Also, everyone I knew that had a pickup ended up getting some kind of shell or hard cover for the back as anything you leave in the bed is very susceptible to thievery and bad weather.
We drove the FIL's from Tha Yang - Phuket = Nakhon Si Thammaret - Tha Yang and had a comfortable ride.

I agree a shell would be needed!!

Thanks!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

[ve drove 1000000s of kms while in thailand and never had a thing stole from the back of any of the trucks i have had , now in europe that would be another story
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

ste860 wrote:[ve drove 1000000s of kms while in thailand and never had a thing stole from the back of any of the trucks i have had , now in europe that would be another story
I agree 100% - seems to be an unwritten rule here. I've stopped mine a few times, and without thinking have left some valuable stuff in the back - always there when I got back.

I absolutely love my Ford Ranger, but after sales have been well below what I would expect, and because of that, I'd caution against considering Ford. Of course I've not tried other brands, so have no idea where Ford sit in the dealers league table. I would suggest after care is an important factor in your decision.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:
ste860 wrote:[ve drove 1000000s of kms while in thailand and never had a thing stole from the back of any of the trucks i have had , now in europe that would be another story
I agree 100% - seems to be an unwritten rule here. I've stopped mine a few times, and without thinking have left some valuable stuff in the back - always there when I got back.

I absolutely love my Ford Ranger, but after sales have been well below what I would expect, and because of that, I'd caution against considering Ford. Of course I've not tried other brands, so have no idea where Ford sit in the dealers league table. I would suggest after care is an important factor in your decision.
I've owned Ford trucks here and always had great luck with them. Service would definitely be a consideration.

Do you think it's just Hua Hin, or have you tried service elsewhere?
Big Boy

Re: Buying a pickup truck

Post by Big Boy »

I've heard similar reports of Ford and other companies throughout Thailand, but not all dealerships.

Ford Hua Hin was particularly bad, and I did have a 9 month dispute with them (resolved now). Ford did recognise their shortcomings, and moved a new management team in, which is actually 100% better than the previous team. They still didn't move fast enough for me (impatient git that I am :oops: ), but true to their word, they did eventually fix the problem. Mine was one of 7 significant disputes at the time - all resolved now. The new manager is actually quite a nice chap, and really wants to help. During his short spell in charge, he brought down 3 head office boffins to look at my car. As part of the 'slow' diagnostic process, they fixed a couple of minor problems that I didn't even realise I had.

The new management structure at Hua Hin is not perfect, but they are trying their best to bring the place up to scratch, and they do seem to be getting there. Little extras such as free vouchers for car washing help.

There was a post on here recently where somebody had switched to the Petchaburi branch, and found it to be a great improvement. When I read that, I did wonder whether that was pre or post management change.

Even though I had a problem with my car for 9 months, at no point was it undriveable, and I still think its the most comfortable vehicle I've ever driven. I've done a few 12 hour trips without any difficulty.

My point was, try to get some local after sales knowledge before you buy.

Points 48; Position 20
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Have driven every pickup on the market except the Ranger. Settled on 2 Vigos.Drinks holders were one of the deciding factors! Changed one for a Mazda 2 for an around town car. Very happy with all. Focus is a nice drive but pricy.

Crazy 88
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't think there is a lot to choose between the trucks.

Funny thing is, I really liked the look of the Mitsubishi, and secretly thought that's what I would end up with in Thailand. However, when I tried one, it was too small for me to drive any distance.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

migrant wrote:I've kicked around what to buy in Thailand. Having a new house built, and being the kind of guy that likes to putter around I'm thinking a truck. I've had trucks here in the states and like them.

For the last 5 years, when we go to Thailand, we get to use my FIL's Toyota Hilux (diesel). It's got roomy backseats for when we have more than 2 people and have found it good to drive. We put more miles in three weeks than he puts the rest of the year.

But I'm not a auto-wise kind of guy so am reaching out to my forum brethren asking for thoughts, suggestions. At first I was thinking the Pajero, but for the price tag it sounds like we could almost get the two, truck and smaller car. Mrs migrant also finds, even the smaller SUV's like the pajero and CRV a little big for her

Diesel, gas, truck or not. Mrs migrant doesn't like big vehicles, but I do all the driving anyway. We will probably get a smaller car also if need be for her.

So what have you all experienced, know, think?

If you end up buying two vehicles, will they both be new - there are a number of new models just/coming on the market, so there will be some good second hand deals likely?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Toyota deserve their reputation for reliability, I've had a Vigo for ten years and it's only needed a set of tyres, a battery and a pair of windscreen wiper blades. I've been away and left it stood on the drive for four months with the alarm on and it still started first time.
mudcat
Amateur
Amateur

Post by mudcat »

After seeing the human carrying capacity of a Thai a pickup truck bed I opted for a MPV (Chevrolet spin) so I could be a good BIL but had everyone in a seatbelt.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Dannie Boy wrote:
migrant wrote:
If you end up buying two vehicles, will they both be new - there are a number of new models just/coming on the market, so there will be some good second hand deals likely?
Good point, and possible. Problem with a used car, to me, is I am not real mechanical. If I have a good mechanic I trust that can check it out then, yes, used makes sense. :cheers:
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

I would look into something like a after market push guard and maybe a snow plow you can lower to push all the scooters and small cars out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Re:

Post by caller »

JamesWest wrote:I would look into something like a after market push guard and maybe a snow plow you can lower to push all the scooters and small cars out of the way.

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
I'd second that (push guard or similar, if that's what I think it is). Went to collect some new glasses the other week. Parked the Mazda truck (recommended by the way), lots of space behind and in front, wandered back, still lots of space behind and in front, started to pull off, then CRASH, I knew I'd hit something and the crash helmet flying up in the air confirmed it!

Some idiot had parked his bike so close to the truck I never even noticed it. Heads turned, people stared and the owner came running across and seeing a puzzled farang, kept repeating, 'sorry, sorry, no damage, no damage'. He lifted his bike up and out of the way and with that I got back in and drove off. I've lost some paint on the lower front bumper to the side and below the reg. plate. Will definitely be getting a guard added when I get the body work done (two minor round, hard to notice dents, paint not broken, one above the other have also mysteriously appeared in the tail gate).
Talk is cheap