Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers/demolition of pier restaurants

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers/demolition of pier restaurants

Post by europtimiste »

Why not a beach road with sea view.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Tough action against Hua Hin beach encroachers/demolition of pier restaurants

Post by HHTel »

Many years ago, all the properties on the beach were given a 60 day notice to leave. The plan was, as europtimiste suggested, was to open the beach like Cha-Am.
There is so much money and influence in those properties that a delegation was formed. They petitioned BKK and was given a reprieve. The notice was altered to 2 years. As is usual here, when things go on the back burner, they're eventually forgotten.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I missed my walk this morning, so as it was a nice afternoon, I let curiosity get the better of me and ventured down to look at the devastation myself.

I parked in the Temple Car Park (seems to be free now) and wandered down Bintabaht towards the Hilton. How sad - apart from a lone massage shop, everything was closed/shuttered. There was tumbleweed blowing down the street (slight exaggeration).

I then turned left towards the Chinese Temples. The first couple of restaurants were open (but deserted). The rest was closed, and looking through windows empty - they were just shells.

The little road up to the temples used to have a few little shops. Same story - all closed up.

Then the bit I was interested in - Temples to the fishing pier. Again many places were closed, but the piers appeared to be battling on. 5 premises had been demolished, and even the tidiest, still looked an eyesore. Many of the empty premises had for sale or for rent notices. Maybe wishful thinking?
DSC02750.jpg
(412.53 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
DSC02751.jpg
(387.7 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
DSC02752.jpg
(403.48 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
DSC02754.jpg
The ironic thing about this photo, is the only bit that survived was the poster saying save our historic homes.
(382.92 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
DSC02755.jpg
(363.29 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
DSC02756.jpg
(400.46 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
We made it as far as the entrance to the pier, but the gates were locked. This looked to be a temporary measure as we passed the tables and chairs used for on pier dining neatly stacked.
DSC02757.jpg
(334.85 KiB) Downloaded 980 times
We took a slightly different route back to the car park, and Limelight and Panama were open, but customers were like rocking horse droppings.

So in conclusion, it was a very sad sight, and a long way from the Hua Hin I remember since the turn of the century. However, it still wasn't as bad as I was imagining.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:40 pm Many years ago, all the properties on the beach were given a 60 day notice to leave. The plan was, as europtimiste suggested, was to open the beach like Cha-Am.
There is so much money and influence in those properties that a delegation was formed. They petitioned BKK and was given a reprieve. The notice was altered to 2 years. As is usual here, when things go on the back burner, they're eventually forgotten.
Look at the beach road and wonderful view at Prachuap.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The difference there of course is that the beach was already open. Devoid of shops and eateries. No negotiating required. Gave the authorities the freedom to develop the promenade etc.

Different scenario in HH.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

HHTel wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:40 pm Many years ago, all the properties on the beach were given a 60 day notice to leave. The plan was, as europtimiste suggested, was to open the beach like Cha-Am.
The same has happened in South Pattaya. Order to vacate all the ocean side establishments on Walking Street, to be demolished and returned to beach. My memory says that the first order was close to 20 years ago, and everything is still there. :banghead: ...and now most are empty and will never open again, so a good chance for the Gov. to move in and start the demo on most or all. It won't happen. :roll:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:04 pm So in conclusion, it was a very sad sight, and a long way from the Hua Hin I remember since the turn of the century. However, it still wasn't as bad as I was imagining.
It's much worse at night, as it exposes how much is actually shuttered and abandoned. Simply put, as it is now, is not a nice place to be at night..
Talk is cheap
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I have been wondering if the authorities are leaving it run down and demolished to coerce the remaining owners to move out.

An open beach would be nice, but can money be made from an open beach? We all know that money is at the root of most decisions here.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just read that the Fishing Pier is open every Friday, Saturday Sunday again now, and it is open as a street food market.

Points 48; Position 20
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Is that a day or night market? I assume you still have to walk through the construction site.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It is an evening market. There is a bit of demolition debris there, but I didn't notice any construction.

Points 48; Position 20