Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Post by Ratsima »

I've been watching the construction of this railway overpass for several years now. I cycled over it a year ago when it seemed complete. Last week was the first time I've seen it in actual use. I know several of these closer to Hua Hin have been open for a while. This is located in Ban Nong Ta Phot, not far from Khao Nang Panthurat Forest Park in Cha Am.
DT1.jpg
DT1.jpg (133.54 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
I was surprised to see that they call it a U-turn Bridge rather than a railway overpass. I guess if it looks like a U-turn Bridge, that's what it is. Another Thai victory of form over substance.
dt2.jpg
dt2.jpg (191.8 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
Clearly not quite ready for an actual train in spite of someone's best efforts to clear the rails.
dt3.jpg
dt3.jpg (177.98 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
As predicted previously, there is already an alternate crossing for motorcycles (and pedestrians and bicycles, I guess). I suppose we'll soon see a horrible crash on Amarin TV. That's Khao Nang Panthurat Forest Park in the distance.

While I was taking photos from the overpass this train went by, several hours late, I think. I guess the engine is one of the new ones that Thai rail fans are calling Ultraman because of the gray and red color scheme.
ultraman_info.jpg
ultraman_info.jpg (30.03 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Wow, 10 carriages long and probably 7 people on the train
pity the train is not from the M78 nebula as well
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Cue Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley.
craighuahin
Rookie
Rookie

Bang Sue to Hua Hin Dual Track Trains

Post by craighuahin »

I'm hoping some kind people who are actually located in and around Hua Hin that might be able to provide regular, accurate updates on the dual track work and any new train schedules to/from Bangkok they have inside knowledge about? The booking sites will likely post updates but far too late to help plan trips, hoping to tap into the local grapevine!

Bang Sue seems to be up and running but are the dual tracks completed down to Hua Hin now and using the newly built Hua Hin station? If not could someone please post updates when these new services ARE about to open?

It's almost impossible to get information from outside Thailand or plan when best to visit Thailand to avail of the new 2-3 hour train journeys promised, most online news mentions "when the works are finished..." without much more information. I guess you just need to BE there to see what's actually happening.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Re: Bang Sue to Hua Hin Dual Track Trains

Post by Scout »

I live in Hua Hin and like you, I’m very curious about updates of when the new Hua Hin Train Station and elevated dual tracks will be in-service. I'm pretty sure that the last official sounding update I saw indicated mid-January, but that is obviously not happening. I’ve recently walked all around the front outside of the new station, the underground access tunnel and escalators appeared at least weeks away when I toured the site last week. My guess is we are now looking at end of February, but it’s only a guess. I talked with the operator of the specialty train machines that weld / level / finalize the bedding of the new rails, near the overpass over the tracks near Khao Tao a couple weeks ago, he spoke good English and said the track work should be finished mid-January, but it’s still ongoing.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Bang Sue to Hua Hin Dual Track Trains

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m a pessimist - maybe this time next year!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here is this month's drone video
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Don't hold your breath. The tracks aren't even as far North as Soi 55. It's just a torn up mess and looks like a bomb dropped.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Soi 55? Is that a typo? Hopefully the tracks will never reach Soi 55.

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:15 pm Soi 55? Is that a typo? Hopefully the tracks will never reach Soi 55.
I must have meant Soi 59. I think that Soi exists.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, both 55 and 59 exist, but it is even numbered Sois that cross the rail track.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

As much as I’d love to see it in operation, it wouldn’t surprise me if it doesn’t open this year - there are a number of flyovers that are nowhere near finished so if they do open the railway soonish, it will be without some of the flyovers completed.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Will the non-completion of flyovers prevent anything opening except the flyovers?

Traffic is currently running over the twin tracks, barriers have re-positioned and are in place. What difference will the flyovers make compared to what we have now?

I have a bigger fear for the entire project. From Soi 56 going South to the existing flyover at the end of town, they are cutting a huge North/South gash through the centre of the city. As well as the new dual track railway, they are building a brand new dual carriageway directly alongside the Eastern side of the track.

So we now have the equivalent of a 6 lane highway (4 for cars and 2 for trains) running through the middle of the city, plus a drainage canal alongside the Western side of the track. In the future I see this creating Hua Hin East and Hua Hin West. I do not see any logical way that road traffic is going to pass from East to West safely. It won't be possible yo go above the gash, because they've built a bloody great raised railway.

Just think, it's already chaos at the hideous junctions at Sois 70 and 88. Imagine what it will be like when there's a fully functional dual carriageway there as well. Coming from Tops travelling West, you will have to cross a dual carriageway and twin railway tracks.

Or has somebody seen a cunning plan?

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:43 pm Yes, both 55 and 59 exist, but it is even numbered Sois that cross the rail track.
Oh right. Not being a driver I don't pay much attention to what's where. Soi 58 would be the correct Soi.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks for the clarification. I've looked at the drone footage for that area, and yes, it could be incomplete track, it could be preparations for the new dual carriageway, or it could be both. IMHO if it's incomplete track, it wouldn't take them long to open it. However, I think access to and from the raised track are key to the opening, and they are almost there with that. The lower track has at least what is there now, and trains have been running for many months with the surroundings looking like a bomb site.

Points 48; Position 20