Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Hua Hin dual-track rail project to go ahead

Post by Nereus »

It has to be asked why the elevated piers being constructed are so low? Not sure just how far the elevated section is going to be, but that already constructed between Soi 88 and Soi 94 appears to be ridiculously low.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Going back to the original 'artists impression', the station is to be moved and elevated. Maybe this is only to accommodate the station. There doesn't seem to be any 'elevated' development outside of Hua Hin.

Time will tell.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:53 pm Going back to the original 'artists impression', the station is to be moved and elevated. Maybe this is only to accommodate the station. There doesn't seem to be any 'elevated' development outside of Hua Hin.

Time will tell.
I was more interested in where the railway crosses a road. There are many trucks higher than the clearance under what appears to be the new track level.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

According to the artists impressions I saw, the elevated section runs north until landing around Soi 56 (Tan Samai). The drawings I saw had the original station with further station construction above also. Haven't seen the drawings for the southern section so don't know where the track comes back down.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The picture BB posted shows the existing station in the foreground. viewtopic.php?p=461275#p461275
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Chumphon, Ranong rail project stalls

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/to ... recent_box

The Comptroller General’s Department has put the double-track rail project from Chumphon to Ranong on hold due to concerns about its economic viability, according to a source at the State Railway of Thailand (SRT).

The 40-billion-baht project was originally driven by Deputy Prime Minister Somkid Jatusripitak, who envisaged the rail development linking the Gulf of Thailand to the Andaman Sea in a boost to the Southern Economic Corridor scheme.
The construction of the project was originally planned for this year, according to a cabinet meeting in August last year.
The SRT source said it is likely that the project will be brought back for consideration again sometime in the next two or three years.

The source, however, said an SRT study found that the rail route would be beneficial for development as there is still no rail link with Ranong, which is one of the country’s second-tier tourist provinces. The SRT remains keen on the project, the source stressed.

Although being eagerly pushed by the government, a study by the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP) cast doubts the project.

The OTP pointed out that the project is only likely to be economically viable if its opening is delayed until 2034.
Under the plan, the line would begin south of Chumphon train station. It would pass through Muang district of Chumphon as well as Kra Buri, La-un and Muang districts of Ranong.

Before reaching Ranong deep-sea port, the route would separate with one track going to the port and the other to Ranong station.

Meanwhile, the SRT has adjusted a plan for the 100-billion-baht high-speed train project from Bangkok to Hua Hin by extending the proprosal to include Surat Thani.

The new plan, stretching 759 kilometres, requires a new study, which could take about 18 months. The project would be split into two phases — the Bangkok-Hua Hin section and the Hua Hin-Surat Thani stretch, according to SRT acting governor Worawut Mala.

Referring to the progress of the 170 billion baht Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima line of the Thai-Sino high-speed train project, Mr Worawut said the bidding for all seven contracts on the section will be held between July and August.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning (OTP)
I couldn't stop laughing at the title of this office.
Gus
Guru
Guru

Re: Bang Sue Mega Station

Post by Gus »

How is the high speed line shaping up through Hua Hin?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

People are getting confused between the dual rail project and the high speed project.
The dual track construction is moving at a reasonable pace but I understand that the 'high speed' project has still some way to go. I've read that tenders haven't even been approved as yet and construction is yet to start.

The dual track system will use trains capable of 160 kph (less than 100 mph)
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Aren't they constructing a new railway on columns similar to the Bangkok Skytrain but not quite so high? Maybe there is going to be the current railway at ground level and the new set up on the columns above the present tracks.

After travelling by train often in Thailand, i consider 160kph High Speed. :)
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Look at the artist's impression of the new station:

viewtopic.php?p=461275#p461275

Here's a couple of articles regarding the high speed train:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... ed-railway

and this one published this year:

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ne ... -an-impact

which also quotes:
The piling work of the first phase linking Bangkok and Nakhon Ratchasima, a contract worth 179 billion baht, began on Dec 21, and service is scheduled to start in 2022.
The speed is expected to be 250 kph for Chinese built stock and 300 kph for Japanese stock.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Gus wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 am Aren't they constructing a new railway on columns similar to the Bangkok Skytrain but not quite so high? Maybe there is going to be the current railway at ground level and the new set up on the columns above the present tracks.

After travelling by train often in Thailand, i consider 160kph High Speed. :)
Yes, that must be at least double the speed of the current trains
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nice little vid about the upgrade:

fft100
Professional
Professional

Post by fft100 »

With the dual track being on the columns through hua Hin, if they do approve the high speed link, I wonder where they would put the track ?

BTW,. I assume the massive area being cleared on the golf course side of the tracks all the way from Soi 56 to the flyover near Soi 112 (it must be 50-60 metres wide of the collumns ) is for a dual carriageway linking canal to the flyover ? That would make sense as through traffic from the West wouldn't need to go over/under the railway before heading south. I haven't seen a plan however...
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

There will also be dual track at ground level. The high speed train, when announced, was going to terminate somewhere around the airport I think. Is it worth building though? (Other than for the contractors and the recipients of their largesse.)