Expressway toll pass

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Expressway toll pass

Post by Bluesky »

I seem to be travelling between Hua Hin and Bangkok a little more frequently and have decided it may be worthwhile to get a rechargeable tollway pass. The last leg into Bangkok is along the Chalerm Nakhon expressway going through The Dao Kanong Toll plaza and on the return trip entering from the Sathu pradit toll. If anyone has been through the process of getting a pass for these tolls would appreciate advice.

Thanks in advance
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Expressway toll pass

Post by Nereus »

Most of the bigger toll plazas have an office / outlet in the parking area after the gate. Pretty sure the one you use has it. Same with top up; most of them have one gate with a sign advising top up. In Bangkok most banks have them along with top up, but maybe not in Hua Hin. Note that they will not work through window film, but you can open the side window and hold them up in the air facing the sensor.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

That's odd because mine works perfectly through the film.

Once you have the unit and card you can now top up online and at certain retail outlets like Tesco Lotus.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I guess it depends on the film. I often travel with somebody else, and he has to poke it out the window in his car.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Had mine a couple of years. Go to one of the offices as suggested, with your passport/ work permit and driving locence + proof of owning the car. Fillin the form - done.
Mine works through the film as well
BOZ
Professional
Professional

Post by BOZ »

If your film is too dark it will cause and issue.. I cut the film in a small square where it is mounted and it works perfectly now... Be aware of that and you should be good to go... Best thing we ever did, really speeds up the toll process....
Boz

Life is short, live it to the fullest!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Maybe a stupid question, but what are the advantages please?

- I assume the speed it takes to pass through a toll booth is number 1.
- Does a pass work on all toll booths?
- Is a pass time limited? i.e. I don't travel through Bangkok very often, so if I bought one, could I put a load of money on it, and still be using it in 3 years time, so long as there's credit on it?
- One of the reasons I don't drive through Bangkok very often is because of the police that prey on Farangs at the toll booths. They are incredible storytellers/liars. Because traffic flows through these booths faster, do they hunt at these fast track booths?

Sorry, but these are questions I've often wondered about, and the answers might take away my main reasons for avoiding driving through Bangkok.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I assume the speed it takes to pass through a toll booth is number 1.
Yes, I have yet to see a line up of traffic at an Easy Pass gate.
Does a pass work on all toll booths?
No, they are marked with blue paint. And the one card now works on the "M" expressways, such as to Pattaya.
Is a pass time limited? i.e. I don't travel through Bangkok very often, so if I bought one, could I put a load of money on it, and still be using it in 3 years time, so long as there's credit on it?
Not sure, but I doubt there is any time limit.
Because traffic flows through these booths faster, do they hunt at these fast track booths?
There are police, but most of them are not stupid enough to step into the auto lane. However, they WILL stop you if you attempt to change lanes once inside the extended blue lines, as they will also for normal lines.

Not sure what you have done to p***s off the BIB Big Boy. I do not use the expressways a lot, but over many years I have never been stopped at a toll booth, Bangkok or to Pattaya.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote:Not sure what you have done to p***s off the BIB Big Boy. I do not use the expressways a lot, but over many years I have never been stopped at a toll booth, Bangkok or to Pattaya.
Believe me, I've done nothing, I am just a victim of their over active imagination/racism. I will rarely even say hello to them, because I know as they start spouting their crap, I would do myself absolutely no favours, and I'd totally lose it.

The last time I was stopped, the woman in the toll booth saw the colour of my skin and woke the BIB up while he was asleep on the other side of the booth - obviously she received a % of the tea money. He stepped in front of my car, wrote down the registration, and then presented that as evidence that he'd received a report that somebody with my registration had driven on the hard shoulder from Hua Hin to Bangkok.

I said absolutely nothing, but the Thais in the car went absolutely crazy. He must have had rhino skin. He asked for my licence, and wouldn't give it back. In the end the Thais bought it back, and he walked off grinning from ear to ear. I have absolutely no time whatsoever for those Bangkok toll booth vultures.

Points 48; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nereus wrote: Not sure what you have done to p***s off the BIB Big Boy. I do not use the expressways a lot, but over many years I have never been stopped at a toll booth, Bangkok or to Pattaya.
Same - been through the tolls a hundred times and never been stopped once. I get stopped more in Hua Hin than anywhere else in the Kingdom.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Obviously luck of the draw, although I think passing through Bangkok between 9am and midday is the highest risk.

Likewise in Hua Hin, the high risk time is 8:30am until 12:30pm, although you do encounter the odd rogue roadblock at other times. In Hua Hin they are quite easy to avoid with experience, although I'm rarely in that much of a hurry, so don't bother.

Points 48; Position 21
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Go Pro is your friend. Film the b****ds. Maybe its something to do with your rego plate. Although my old Isuzu is registered in Prachuap and it does not get stopped.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I now have a couple of dash cams, and they absolutely hate having them turned upon them - they don't get to story telling mode. However, if their stories won't work, I fear they may take it up a notch and find some other way to extract cash, which might be dangerous.

Better I avoid them.

Points 48; Position 21
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

And here I was thinking that this thread was about the Easy Pass cards....silly me.

Where are the mods.....
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My enquiry is about the benefits (and hidden benefits) of using a card.

Points 48; Position 21