Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
buksida

Re: Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by buksida »

PeteC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:50 pm From: Re: Photo Trip Report: Camping The North
PeteC wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:46 pm Were you seeing EV plugs at these places, or at least in the towns?

Edit: Someone has told me that PTT stations throughout the country now have plugs. I find that hard to believe, and take it as meaning in the well populated towns/cities.
Nothing out in the sticks but some of the larger fuel stations in or near towns or major roads had a couple (though tbh I wasn't looking for them). I certainly wouldn't attempt the route we did in an EV, the truck did about 850km per fill and there was a fair bit of off-roading and up-hilling!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Incidentally, for people who do like driving a long way, BYD are going to be producing a plug in hybrid pickup soon:
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/i ... out-of-the
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:57 pm Incidentally, for people who do like driving a long way, BYD are going to be producing a plug in hybrid pickup soon:
The article is from Australia - do you know if it’s coming to Thailand?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The signs are that hydrogen will replace EV's for long journeys leaving EV's as urban vehicles.
Of course that may never happen but we'll see.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by Dannie Boy »

I read many articles about EV’s and hydrogen vehicles and the pros and cons seem to change on an almost daily basis. EV’s have got a big head start on hydrogen, but only today I read an article suggesting that there is sufficient underground natural hydrogen to last hundreds of years - getting it out is the difficult bit, but it’s clearly an option not to be discounted. I doubt it’ll happen in my driving life though!!

https://www.science.org/content/article ... -free-fuel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Actually this was the article I read earlier today

https://www.hydrogeninsight.com/innovat ... -1-1600507

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:21 pm
STEVE G wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:57 pm Incidentally, for people who do like driving a long way, BYD are going to be producing a plug in hybrid pickup soon:
The article is from Australia - do you know if it’s coming to Thailand?
I haven't seen an official announcement yet but seeing as Thailand is one of the largest pickup truck markets in the world and BYD are building a factory there, I think it is almost certain.
Toyota and Isuzu are going to produce electric pickups soon as well and Toyota stated that it's in response to competition from BYD.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Is that going to ruin what has traditionally been a pristine rural/agricultural area?

Tata confirms Somerset will host £4bn battery factory

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-68412570 (Photos)

The future site of the the UK's biggest electric vehicle battery manufacturing facility has been confirmed.

Jaguar Land Rover-owner Tata says it will invest £4bn in a brownfield site near Bridgwater in Somerset.

The government previously announced the flagship battery factory would be built in the UK, but this is the first official confirmation of the site.

The new plant is expected to create 4,000 jobs and thousands more in the supply chain.

Tata says battery production is set to begin there in 2026.......
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I guess it’s bound to have a negative impact on the countryside as it’s going to be huge, but the UK desperately needs a large battery manufacturing capacity to compete with foreign suppliers of EV’s so it has to be built somewhere!! I’m sure there will be 1,000’s supporting the scheme and 1,000’s opposed to it, but it will provide a huge number of jobs (direct and indirect) and massive financial benefits to the economy in that part of the world.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:37 pm I guess it’s bound to have a negative impact on the countryside as it’s going to be huge, but the UK desperately needs a large battery manufacturing capacity to compete with foreign suppliers of EV’s so it has to be built somewhere!! I’m sure there will be 1,000’s supporting the scheme and 1,000’s opposed to it, but it will provide a huge number of jobs (direct and indirect) and massive financial benefits to the economy in that part of the world.

Apparently the site will be some 620 acres = 2.5 sq km or 1 sq mile, so big but not ultra large.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, they've crippled the Steelmaking in Wales and thousands of jobs have gone despite government handouts. They're now getting further handouts from the government for this plant on the promises of "creating jobs"!! Of course there'll be further "promises" of new infrastructure and new housing whilst doing everything possible to both protect and be sympathetic towards the environment/countryside. What an absolute crock!! We've simply sold out to TATA who in no way or form can ever or should ever be trusted. :banghead:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Gotta get that India trade deal before moving back to California. Innit!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

The report says the development is on a brownfield site, meaning it already has buidlings on it and has been used in industry of some sort, so it is ideal and probably already has good transport links.
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^This article from last year has a picture of the site and it's not exactly an area of outstanding natural beauty!
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-65645201
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:56 am ^This article from last year has a picture of the site and it's not exactly an area of outstanding natural beauty!
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-somerset-65645201
caller wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:00 pm The report says the development is on a brownfield site, meaning it already has buidlings on it and has been used in industry of some sort, so it is ideal and probably already has good transport links.
Whilst I can appreciate it's a "Brownfield Site" and the actual site itself is obviously not "rolling fields" (the surrounding area actually is), my concern is the involvement of TATA, their history in the UK and the (further) financial benefits they will gain from the UK government.

Anywho, back to EVs - BYD really are trying to corner the market from top to bottom (probably more of a concern for the environment & Global economy). Big in the lower cost end of the market (about to have the UK's cheapest EV by quite a margin), the recently announced Hybrid UTE/Pickup and now their (latest) "Supercar".....

Tesla's Chinese Rival BYD Wants to Corner the EV Market With a New $230,000 Supercar and a $14,000 Hatchback

The expansion of BYD's lineup comes just a week after it launched a new price war in China.

"BYD, Tesla’s Chinese rival, has unleashed its latest effort to corner the electric vehicle market with a new “supercar” — one that comes with a steep price tag.

The world’s largest automaker by sales — a title acquired after defeating Elon Musk’s Tesla last fiscal quarter — on Monday revealed the Yangwang U9 electric supercar. BYD plans to start delivering the $233,000 sports car in summer 2024.

The U9 — BYD’s most expensive vehicle and second under the high-end Yangwang brand — has a top speed of 192 miles per hour and can reach 62 miles per hour in just 2.36 seconds, according to the Shenzhen, China-based company.

It’s part of BYD’s efforts to capture a larger share of the high-end market as interest in EVs wanes among consumers. On Feb. 18, BYD said it plans to launch several “high-end luxury” models in 2024.

BYD is primarily known for its budget-friendly options, which helped fuel its explosive sales growth last year. On Friday, the automaker launched its 2024 Dolphin Honor Edition hatchback in China, a model nearly 5% cheaper than its predecessor.

The company also kicked off the EV industry’s latest price war on Feb. 19 by announcing “Glory” editions for two of its sedans. Several automakers, including a General Motors-backed venture and Changan Automobile, quickly issued their own price cuts, according to the South China Morning Post. BYD is also expected to launch new models under its namesake brand later this week.

BYD is also looking to expand globally, with plans to build a new factory in Hungary and revitalize a manufacturing hub in Brazil. China has heavily encouraged its domestic automakers to expand overseas through subsidies and other measures, which spurred an investigation from European Union authorities.

BYD on Sunday said it could repurchase 400 million yuan ($56 million) in shares, roughly doubling a previously proposed stock buyback announced in December, according to a regulatory filing. The buyback would “better safeguard” the interests of shareholders, enhance investor’s confidence and improve BYD’s value, BYD Chairman Wang Chuanfu said in a statement.

BYD stock climbed almost 4% in Monday morning trading."

https://qz.com/byd-tesla-ev-china-expan ... 1851286327
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.