Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Electric Vehicles (EV) Thread

Post by Nereus »

I didn't know that Harley Davidson makes electric motorbikes. Very game bloke to touch a Harley in Australia, as a lot of them are owned by big hairy bikies that will not think twice about attacking anyone.
...............................................................................................................................
Electric vehicle driver's 'arrogant' stunt at charging station exposes common problem

https://au.news.yahoo.com/electric-vehi ... 30761.html

An electric motorbike rider has gone head to head with a rival EV owner who he claims "unplugged my motorbike" before attempting to "wheel it out of the charging bay" — a daring move that highlights a major problem in Australia.

Gordon Walker, a retiree living on the Gold Coast, told Yahoo News Australia he couldn't believe it when his Evie app told him "charging was finished" just 10 minutes after he'd parked and plugged it into the bay.

He was visiting Perth at the time riding his Harley Davidson LiveWire — the brand's first electric vehicle which was released in 2019. Unlike, electric cars which have a locking mechanism when being charged, the motorbike doesn't, meaning a stranger was able to pull out the cable.

"I walked outside to see a crazy Nissan Leaf owner had unplugged my motorbike and was trying to wheel 250 kgs of EV Harley out of the charging bay," Walker told Yahoo. "I confronted him; his excuse was, these are for cars mate, pointing to a picture of a car painted on the concrete".

Arrogant' EV drivers 'annoying' parking move

While he's never quite had this happen before, "arrogant" behaviour is typical of electric vehicle owners, he claims — such as overstaying time in bays.

"Expensive Tesla drivers are arrogant, I've seen it so many times where they're plugged in, they're at 100 per cent and they don't come back for an hour and a half. They treat it as free parking, that's annoying," he said.

"You can't move their car, you can't unplug it and you can't get your car or bike close enough to plug it in."

"I'm always very courteous," the 67-year-old said. "I charge my bike and as soon as it's charged I'll move it out. It depends on the charger, but the computer on my motorbike regulates it, so I can get 80 per cent in 20 minutes".

Another major issue with this, he says, is that physical chargers have two plugs meaning two vehicles can charge at any one time. It's easy enough for him to wheel up his bike next to a larger vehicle. However, having multiple vehicles using one 50-kilowatt charger extends the charging time with less power going to each — something he says EV drivers are often "not very happy about".

"They're sitting there in their Tesla or the BYD or whatever they've got and it's saying, 'you got 30 minutes to full'. Then I plug in the bike and suddenly it's 60 minutes," he said. "They're not happy it doubles their charging time".
Gordon Walker says he caught an Electric Vehicle driver unplugging his electric motorbike from a charging bay. Source: Gordon Walker
Gordon Walker says he caught an Electric Vehicle driver unplugging his electric motorbike from a charging bay. Source: Gordon Walker
ev harley.jpg (118.25 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, if anyone here is about to upgrade to the latest Tesla, you're in luck, Bluport is installing at least 4 Tesla only chargers on the 1st floor. Near to the Mall entrance. Not actually up and running yet.

Other chargers remain on the ground floor.
Talk is cheap
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

caller wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:52 am The Vietnamese are coming!

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/202 ... -thailand/

Its a sign of Thailands decline over the last 20 years, that another SE Asian country is ahead of Thailand in producing it's own EV, or any vehicle for that matter.
Vinfast have arrived on the UK shore in January, so I expect
they’ll be already selling their EV’s by now.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Car manufacturers are currently finding it more difficult to sell EV cars in the UK for a number of reasons, particularly to private buyers - see below.

https://news.sky.com/story/electric-car ... t-13107632

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Our Kia Soul FE has now done 57K miles so it’s going into hybernation and we’ve ordered 2 new ones, a Kia Nero EV 4 and an EV9 Gt line 6 for end of April delivery.
Attachments
IMG_2712.jpeg
(282.94 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
IMG_2713.png
IMG_2713.png (149.91 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ok for some!! I’m sure you’ll have many years of trouble-free motoring with those.

Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:42 pm Ok for some!! I’m sure you’ll have many years of trouble-free motoring with those.

Didn’t mean to buy either of them, but took the Soul in for its MOT and saw both in the showroom and the rest is history. The wife hasn’t even seen either of them in the wild and only I test drove them. 🥴

We only keep our cars for 2-3 years generally, but we don’t lease them, so we’ll see how these two go.
The Kia Soul FE has had no problems, with the exception of the 12v battery, due to the wife leaving internal light on all night, but called out the RAC who did some tests and declared it knackered, so he changed it FOC.

THE EV9 is for the wife, we could have gone for 7 seats, but she decided as the middle row of 2 seats can be turned around to face the rear, so the kids can chat with each other on the journeys and as she’s the one who shuttles our young son and friends to their under 14’s footy all through the season, we decided she gets that one.

I’ll be using the Nero EV 4 for my pub run. 🤣

I decided that we don’t need the Heat Pump on the Nero (we have one on the Soul, but it was not an option to delete it) as we don’t do many long runs, especially in the winter and charge at home on cheap Octopus electric, so using a few more KWH’s or paying another £900 for the heat pump wasn’t a difficult decision to make. The EV9 has one, but again, it was part of the specification for that model, so we couldn’t delete it.

The Soul is going into the barn on a SORN notice and in a few months we’ll allow our son to drive it around on the property to get him used to driving for his license in a few years time.

Had the Souls HV battery SOH checked and it was at 98%, probably because we have never charged it on DC, just on the 7Kwh home EVSE. We’ve had a few offers for it, but it’s been good to us and most EV’s don’t come with such a high spec at the price now, hence the decision to keep it.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The EV9 is a bit of a beast so I hope she won’t feel daunted driving more than 2.1/2 tonnes of EV!!

Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

She’s 5ft nothing, but she’s a typical Thai girl, nothing phase her, plus, like the Soul, both these cars have very good HUD’s so she won’t need to peek through the steering wheel to see how fast she’s going. 🤣 May have to get a small ladder for her to get up into the car though. 🤔
We had an Adventure Master in Thailand so she’s used to big vehicles.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Certainly an "interesting" read/concept.

$6 a-Day EV Subscription Service Could Disrupt The Auto Industry - https://newatlas.com/automotive/helixx-subscription-ev/

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Largest Electric SUVs in 2024

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/adv ... ctric-suvs

13 mini-reviews with photos of each vehicle.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

A sign of a drop in the EV market, or a sign that (government subsidised) Chinese EV producers have cornered the market? Sales in the UK are down overall and for good reason - an incredibly poor infrastructure. Despite the hype, it's similar in the majority of other countries outside the cities (China is one big city, as is Japan for that matter).

Tesla lays off more than 10% of its workforce

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68818113
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:58 am A sign of a drop in the EV market, or a sign that (government subsidised) Chinese EV producers have cornered the market? Sales in the UK are down overall and for good reason - an incredibly poor infrastructure. Despite the hype, it's similar in the majority of other countries outside the cities (China is one big city, as is Japan for that matter).

Tesla lays off more than 10% of its workforce

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68818113
As well as the lack of the infrastructure, it’s also an issue of the significantly higher prices in the UK that are putting buyers off.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:40 am As well as the lack of the infrastructure, it’s also an issue of the significantly higher prices in the UK that are putting buyers off.
No question of that. My oh so bad for the environment diesel will continue to be panned tax-wise both road and fuel, hammered on insurance and I'll be forced to pay additional fees for driving anywhere near city limits. Still though, far cheaper to keep rather than purchasing an EV and by quite a fair distance, far more practical. As I've mentioned previously, my next car will be a hybrid - and in a few years, the choice in the used market will be huge (why buy new)..

:cheers: :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, I'm sure the UK will be at the rear of this transport revolution but I think Thailand will rapidly follow China in going electric and they're already heading towards 50% sales.
I was recently reading that Hyundai has just mothballed a petrol car production facility in China that was only seven years old. They couldn't sell the cars anymore and no one wanted to buy the factory.