Hua Hin airport due for upgrade

Sub-forum for discussion on air travel, airports, and airlines.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Hua Hin airport due for upgrade

Post by handdrummer »

It's going to take 3 yrs. to do those things? How long would it take in the real world and how long will it really take in Hua Hin?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I never understood the airports location. Even now, surely it would be better to start again inland somewhere?
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Does anyone know when the airport was built? I know it's more than 30 years old. Back in those days, Hua Hin was much smaller and I guess the airport was considered 'out of town'.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:40 am I never understood the airports location. Even now, surely it would be better to start again inland somewhere?
Something I've never considered, but I see nothing wrong with the current location on a major road. If they can achieve this major upgrade on the existing site, why move? I know there will always be whingers living on the flight path, but that happens the world over. Invariably the airport comes first, houses are constructed, people buy the houses, the airport expands, people cry foul.

Move inland, you have to buy a huge plot of land, build everything from scratch, install communications.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

https://th.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E0%B8%97 ... 4%E0%B8%99

Originally Bo Fai airport, used only by the military.

From BE 2498 passenger DC3s allowed during "holiday season".

3 Feb BE 2504 name changed to Hua Hin airport.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:34 am Does anyone know when the airport was built? I know it's more than 30 years old. Back in those days, Hua Hin was much smaller and I guess the airport was considered 'out of town'.
I already posted this link. It shows the history.

https://minisite.airports.go.th/huahin/about1421.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thanks, Nereus,

I missed your original posting of the link. After all it was almost a day ago. You expect me to remember!!??... lol
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

Years ago (about 20) Many of us used to get the early Bangkok Airways flight out of D.M. to H.H, The plane was on it's way to Samui, so a quick touchdown, then off again was good practice seen as it would have been flying over H.H. anyway en-route. These flights were all thru the day.
BUT..H.H. airport decided to hike it's ground-fees, and I think B.Airways said no way, and from then onwards flew right over the airport to from Samui/BKK..The airport saw no regular traffic then for many years..Good old Thai greed again.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:Thanks, Nereus,

I missed your original posting of the link. After all it was almost a day ago. You expect me to remember!!??... lol
Me too. Sorry.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:53 amMove inland, you have to buy a huge plot of land, build everything from scratch, install communications.
Yup. They can get it right this time. They can adapt all they like where they are, but should the airport really 'take off' and flight numbers increase, they will struggle, as several regional airports have recently found out that are having major surgery. I think it would be a good investment.
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Hua Hin airport to be further upgraded
Hua Hin airport in Prachuap Khiri Khan will be further upgraded to serve larger aircraft serving long-haul flights in two years, once tourist numbers begin to rebound and the international aviation industry returns to normal.

Deputy Transport Minister Thaworn Senneam revealed the plan while inspecting upgrade works at the airport on Saturday.

Mr Thaworn said he has asked the Department of Airports to work together with the public and private sector on a plan to further develop the airport, to meet the projected demand for air connections to the popular seaside destination.

The number of air passengers departing from Hua Hin airport jumped from 17,000 in 2018 to 45,000 in 2019, when the district welcomed some 7 million tourists which generated some 43 billion baht in tourism-related income, according to the ministry's figures.

"Demand for air services to Hua Hin is high, as evidenced by the leap in passenger figures right before Covid-19 disrupted travel," he said.

"So further upgrades are necessary, as the International Air Transport Association says the domestic aviation market will return to normal next year, and the international market the year after that."

The deputy minister also said the income from tourist arrivals will help boost the economic recovery once the Covid-19 pandemic ends.

The upgrade -- likely to take effect in the 2023 fiscal year -- will see the airport's runway further expanded from 2,100 to 3,000 metres to accommodate larger jets serving longer flights of between 10–12 hours, he said.

Hua Hin airport is in the middle of a 250-million-baht renovation, which began last year.

Its runway is being widened from 35 to 45m to allow narrow-body jets, such as the Airbus A320 and Boeing 737, to operate out of the airport.

"Once completed, the airport will be able to handle up to five of these aircraft types at the same time," the deputy minister said.

"These are usually used for regional hops with flight times of up to 4–5 hours." A new taxiway and passenger terminal are being built, which will allow the airport to handle a maximum of 900 passengers an hour, or equivalent to 2.6 million annually.

At present, the airport can handle about 300 passengers an hour, or 860,000 annually.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... r-upgraded
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

How long have they been telling us they are going to upgrade? Surely, if they meant it, work would have started long ago. The airport is sitting there with 0 commercial flights again. Since I've lived here, at it's height, it has probably managed 6 commercial flights a week.

Surely there must be something more important they can waste their money on, such as sending a rocket to the moon :?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
sessions
Novice
Novice

Post by sessions »

The airport in its currant state can with ease handle A-320 and Boeing 737 aircraft, the A-320 requires a takeoff distance of about 1850 meters with a normal load and a landing distance of about 1500 meters to land, a 737 is similar, what does change these numbers would be on very hot days.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

AirAsia currently operates the A320 into HHQ.
The width increase allows for wide bodies.
The length increase allows for higher take-off weights.

sessions
Novice
Novice

Post by sessions »

Thailightzone, I've been hanging around Huahin for over 17 years, I dread taking the taxi from BKK to Huahin, would love flights from HKG,NRT or TPE, but think in my lifetime only a pipedream, I don't care if a A-380 could land here that would happen. If I was twenty younger may be optimistic. I've always been jealous of my Brit friends as only a 12 hours ride to Thailand, from my side of the world with flights and taxi a 24 hour trip.