Agoda hotel descriptions/prices warning

Resorts, rooms, hotels, and guesthouses, find somewhere to stay.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Agoda hotel descriptions warning

Post by joelle »

I have done 2 pretence bookings same room, same night, one on Agoda direct and one on Agoda through Google map and here after screen shots of the results.
This is just one example
Attachments
received_2083194635368028.jpeg
(172.81 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
received_1070084087758598.jpeg
(148.09 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow - I was offered 1,704฿/night when checking it out - yours looks better :D

Difference is dates I suppose. I'm looking a 5th and/or 7th December.

Off to lake now, will look further when I get back.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:17 am Wow - I was offered 1,704฿/night when checking it out - yours looks better :D

Difference is dates I suppose. I'm looking a 5th and/or 7th December.

Off to lake now, will look further when I get back.
This is what I get for the 5th December, only one night, haven't checked for 2 nights
Also fyi twin bedrooms are on the ground floor which would be better for your wife as the stairs to the double rooms are quite steep
Attachments
received_910322780710312.jpeg
(193.28 KiB) Downloaded 737 times
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

OMG This is exactly why I hate the sites. You don't get the same answer twice. I've just tried again, and was offered 1461฿. I added it to cart and was told 1,793.74฿. I chose the Book this room now option and it went back to the cheaper price i.e. a 332฿ saving.

I am really confused at all of these numbers.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

The Agoda and Google algorithms work differently depending on who (customer/cookie info) or what platform (pc/mobile) is looking at the hotels and from where (geolocation/IP address). These prices are generated on the fly which is why there is zero consistency with any of this. Agoda also ups the price if you look at the same property several times from the same device.

I just tried Nana Beach on Dec. 5 for one night.
Google Maps price = 1,212 THB
Logged into Agoda and about to book price = 1,696 THB (with last room warning)
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, thanks for the recommendation, and it looks nice, but with so much price variation, I'm out of there - I would be continually thinking I've been ripped off.

Meanwhile, still looking, and I've just looked at one property with an incredible booking condition published on Agoda - I obviously moved on quickly........
A negative COVID-19 test no more than 3 days old must be presented upon check-in; otherwise check-in may be refused.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Re: Agoda hotel descriptions/prices warning

Post by buksida »

The price variations are nothing to do with the hotel - its all Agoda and Google fuckery. The last time we stayed there, the Mrs called them to book and we got a room for about 1,200 (but that was the pre-covid and pre-price-hike era).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Well I seem to have the same constant price with Google map regardless the device I use
buksida

Post by buksida »

joelle wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:04 pm Well I seem to have the same constant price with Google map regardless the device I use
You will, unless you're changing your IP or Google account to browse maps. Its when you log into Agoda to book it, the price jumps, happens to me every time, and now BB. Getting a Thai to call the hotel is much easier, less stressful than all this crap, and will probably get you a better rate.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

buksida wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:08 pm
joelle wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:04 pm Well I seem to have the same constant price with Google map regardless the device I use
You will, unless you're changing your IP or Google account to browse maps. Its when you log into Agoda to book it, the price jumps, happens to me every time, and now BB. Getting a Thai to call the hotel is much easier, less stressful than all this crap, and will probably get you a better rate.
Tried it to this specific hotel named previously and walk in prices were much higher. The manager told me best to book on line ! :wink:
buksida

Post by buksida »

The joys of living in the land of inconsistency ... we all have totally different experiences doing the same things. :wink:
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

buksida wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:36 pm The joys of living in the land of inconsistency ... we all have totally different experiences doing the same things. :wink:
:wink: :D TIT :naughty: :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:39 pm The price variations are nothing to do with the hotel - its all Agoda and Google *****. The last time we stayed there, the Mrs called them to book and we got a room for about 1,200 (but that was the pre-covid and pre-price-hike era).
Yes, I accept it isn't the hotel messing about, but when I have as many a 6 different price variations within an hour, I lose confidence in the system.

Yes, I will most certainly use the same system when I do actually book, but if it continues messing me about, I'll most likely just stay at home and watch it on TV. Either that, or do a very long day trip.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:02 pm OMG This is exactly why I hate the sites. You don't get the same answer twice. I've just tried again, and was offered 1461฿. I added it to cart and was told 1,793.74฿. I chose the Book this room now option and it went back to the cheaper price i.e. a 332฿ saving.

I am really confused at all of these numbers.
One of the big problems with some of these travel sites is that the price they show is often that of the last sold and not what the price is now.
I almost always use Ebookers because they do actually quote the price that you'll pay if you buy it at that time, it doesn't change when you try to pay.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:03 pm I almost always use Ebookers because they do actually quote the price that you'll pay if you buy it at that time, it doesn't change when you try to pay.
Neither did Google Maps Agoda when I chose the "Or book now for ***" option, but I didn't take it all of the way through to conclusion.

I basically had 60 seconds to confirm that I wanted the cheaper price.

Points 48; Position 20