Living with a severe nut allergy in Hua Hin

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
craigdiver
Novice
Novice

Living with a severe nut allergy in Hua Hin

Post by craigdiver »

We are visiting Hua Hin for a few weeks in December. My wife has a severe nut allergy and carries emergency epi-pens. Has anyone got any experience of eating out safely with a nut allergy or knows if restaurants can generally cater for nut allergy sufferers?

Any advice much appreciated?

Craig
PeteC

Re: Living with a severe nut allergy in Hua Hin

Post by PeteC »

We have a friend (not local Hua Hin) whose son has a severe nut allergy. The mother is Thai so there is no language problem when ordering and insisting nothing at all with nuts in it is used to prepare the dish or in the dish. They've been successful. There are Thais with nut allergies so the condition is known here.

If your wife isn't Thai I would strongly recommend you ask your hotel front desk to write up a card in the Thai language that you can carry with you to show the restaurants when you order. Or, before you leave your home country write up something short and to the point and use Google Translate to convert to Thai, then print, cut out, and laminate. One of those methods should assure there is no confusion. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Good advice from Pete. In case you're not familiar with Google Translate, one (or both) of these should fit the bill:
I have a nut allergy ฉันมีอาการแพ้ถั่ว
I am allergic to nuts ฉันแพ้ถั่ว

I'm sure someone better versed in the Thai language than I am will tell you if there's something better.
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thankfully, I don't have a nut allergy, but I'm not a great lover of nuts.

Last week Mrs BB ordered a birthday cake, and specifically requested, "No nuts." Thailand being Thailand, when she collected the cake, there were loads of nuts used as part of the decoration. Mrs BB protested, but was told, "I don't make the cakes :?"

Be careful, Thais often think they know best.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Do coconuts count as a true nut in terms of a nut allergy?

If so that is going to be a tough one to overcome seeing the amount of Thai dishes prepared with it. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Maybe also check that no peanut oil used in cooking the food you order. It's not in common use as it's a bit more expensive
than the good old cheap and nasty palm oil . I do recall seeing some of those big square 20 litre cans of peanut oil next to a favourite fried banana stall.
Complexity is so simply overrated
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:38 am Do coconuts count as a true nut in terms of a nut allergy?
Again, not an allergy as such, but my body instantly rejects coconut (small amounts may take a little longer). We always check the ingredients of food, but again Thais know best. They assume because there's only a small amount in their food, I won't notice. Believe me, I don't always notice, but my body does.

TIT - a sale is a sale.

People ask why I eat so much Western food - coconut is the prime reason.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

craigdiver wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:48 am We are visiting Hua Hin for a few weeks in December. My wife has a severe nut allergy and carries emergency epi-pens. Has anyone got any experience of eating out safely with a nut allergy or knows if restaurants can generally cater for nut allergy sufferers?
Any advice much appreciated? Craig
My advice would be to keep away from both street vendors and small Thai centric restaurants. If you are staying in a hotel you MAY be able to make them understand the problem, but anywhere else they will nod their head, smile and say yes, yes, no problem, then go right ahead and cook whatever it is the same way they always do.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

dtaai-maai wrote:Good advice from Pete. In case you're not familiar with Google Translate, one (or both) of these should fit the bill:
I have a nut allergy ฉันมีอาการแพ้ถั่ว
I am allergic to nuts ฉันแพ้ถั่ว

I'm sure someone better versed in the Thai language than I am will tell you if there's something better.
I wouldn't necessarily rely on these translations. The Thai word ถั่ว (tua) would generally be understood to mean legumes such as beans, runner beans, peas, peanuts etc. Other things we refer to as nuts in English such as cashew nuts, almonds, etc. would not necessarily be understood to be included when saying "tua". So in Thailand, at least, it may be necessary to specify just which nuts need to be avoided. Although tedious, a comprehensive list may be safest.

Is it possible that an allergy support group in UK has a card or phone app for use by tourists?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

nil
Professional
Professional

Post by nil »

With the vagueness of the Thai language i'd print out a sign with pictures of nuts with a banned sign on them or something.

And the Thai word for allergic is แพ้ which is pronounced similar to "pair or pear" with the pitch rising as you say the "air" part.
Last edited by nil on Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

e4187bd0c62adc985cd05d584b93b3fe.png
e4187bd0c62adc985cd05d584b93b3fe.png (17.47 KiB) Viewed 294 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Below is the Google search result showing "no nut" images that can be printed up and carried with you. The above image came from this link.

https://www.google.co.th/search?q=no+nu ... 618#imgrc=_
craigdiver
Novice
Novice

Post by craigdiver »

wow! thank you all for your kind advice. We had looked at at getting a laminated card made saying something along the lines of (in Thai). “I have nut allergy, if I eat nuts I WILL DIE”. Hopefully this would be understood but I agree with replacing nuts with an actual list of nuts, peanuts etc.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

PeteC wrote:
e4187bd0c62adc985cd05d584b93b3fe.png
None of these would be classed as ถั่ว/tua in Thai. So definitely best to be specific.