Land Rover Lovers Day

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Land Rover Lovers Day

Post by Nereus »

I have not bothered with this the last couple of years. However, this year marks the 70th anniversary of Land Rover, so I may go. Really need to have a Thai speaker with you, and I guess there is camping allowed on the site.
The site is in the very North of Lopburi province.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

http://www.weekendhobby.com/board/landr ... p?id=27396
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Land Rover Lovers Day

Post by VincentD »

Nereus
I used to work around there on some railway projects years ago. There are two GPS locations given in their announcement; the first is for a 'tum boon' (almsgiving) ceremony at a temple (Wat Phu Noi) off Nong Muang. You have to go on Highway 1 from Lopburi Pranarai circle to Khok Samrong, then take a left to get to Nong Muang.

The second location (and where I suspect the main event will take place) is off Ban Mi. To get there you'll have to drive along the 'klong road' (3129) starting from Sakeow circle in Lopburi town. Turn into Ban Mi, go over the railway and follow the road (3028) that will take you back towards Singburi. It's somewhere along there. Or, alternatively..
Coming down the Asian Highway 32 turn off towards Lopburi at the Singburi/Lopburi flyover on to 311. A quarter way down the road will be a traffic light junction and a police box. Turn left onto 3028 and keep driving till you find the place. Bit of a turnoff and over a small bridge if I remember.

You may need GPS for this, but if you ask the local Thais where the temple (Wat Huai Kaeo) the venue is going to be held at is, they'll probably know.

Have a good day (or three) out.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thanks very much Vincent. Actually, I just booked a room on Hwy 1 just North of Lopburi! I did look at going from Hwy 32, but a bit put off by the twist and turns in the goat track from that direction and the numerous Villages it passes through.

I am confused by the 2 GPS references as I cannot read it and I am alone just now. I have a GPS in the car that has the latest update on it but have not entered any of those places yet. I did intend to attempt it from Hwy 1, as the alternative again is via those secondary roads. Entering what I assume is the actual site Google Maps show access from Hwy 1, just a couple of Kms further than 3129. :cheers:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Setting up base in Lopburi itself makes sense, the Lopburi Inn isn't bad but not sure of accomodation further out of town. I used to rent a place around Khao Phra Ngam, just past the gate to Wing 2.

The first GPS reference is for that of Wat Phu Noi, the second for Wat Huai Kaeo.

You can use secondary road 205 at the traffic junction of Ban Mi; it'll take you straight across to Khok Samrong. Haven't been that way for years, but back then it was already paved over and quite well travelled. Just note that there is a one-way system once over the railway tracks in Ban Mi so keep your eyes on the direction of travel arrows.
Was in Lopburi town just a few days ago to see a friend, but was mainly around town.

Note that the ceremony at the first place is basically a Buddhist thing where they will listen to the monks chanting and later give alms and donations to the local charity.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thanks very much for your help, Vincent. Do you still live in Bangkok? PM if you like. :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Land Rover Lovers Day 2019

This venue is the same place at Srinagarinda Damn as the old motorbike venue a couple of weekends ago:

http://www.weekendhobby.com/board/landr ... p?id=27404

7-8-9 weekend of December 2019

Main day is Saturday 8th December