Private Room Experience - Hua Hin Hospital

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
Big Boy

Private Room Experience - Hua Hin Hospital

Post by Big Boy »

A few days ago, Mrs BB was rushed into hospital.

When I first moved here, I was a hospital snob after reading comments on this forum - I avoided Hua Hin Hospital (HHH) like the plague. After several medical experiences, including inpatient treatment at a couple of hospitals, I decided the only hospital I found acceptable was Petcharat, but that was too far away for emergencies.

Mrs BB started using HHH, and although very busy, I soon realised they actually knew what they were doing. I too have now been receiving regular outpatient treatment at HHH for over 4 years (Express Clinic), and they have done everything I have expected, and probably a little more.

I have been very satisfied with the outpatient service, but have always wondered what would happen when the inevitable day came when we would need inpatient treatment. I was about to find out.

Mrs BB was having significant breathing difficulties, so I rushed her straight to HHH emergency. I was told at 11pm that Mrs BB had to stay overnight, and was advised to go home, and come to see her in the morning. She phoned me at 1:30 to tell me where her bed was.

Next morning, I went to see her on a ward. It was very busy, probably overcrowded, but it was functional. Doctors and nurses were constantly on the go, but probably overworked. Mrs BB was the last person to be seen on doctors rounds, and she gave us the news we didn't want to hear. She could go home, but we'd probably be bringing her back later the same day - the doctor would prefer she stayed one more night. Mrs BB looked at me and asked what we should do. I simply said what does the doctor want - we stayed.

It was at that point I told her to enquire about a private room. The process was strange, but we followed it:
  • Go down to the office to ask about prices. Basically rooms cost 1800 Baht, 2000 Baht and 2800 Baht. However, 1800 Baht rooms are usually full, so you have to wait for one to be vacated. We went for 2000 Baht to ensure availability.
  • Go back to the ward, tell them what you wanted, and they would allocate you a room.
  • There was one proviso, occupants of the private rooms had to have a constant carer (e.g. family member) in attendance 24/7.
    That wasn't a problem for us, we have plenty of family available, and could cover it easily. I did enquire what happens if there isn't family readily available. An external carer would have to be arranged. I asked if hospital staff would do a little overtime to cover such cases, but they told us it wasn't permitted. Does anybody know what happens in such circumstances?
So Mrs BB was moved to the VIP suite. Decor was a little tired, but it had everything you could want. OK, the decor at Bangkok Hospital is a little more swish, but do you really need swish if you're ill? The room must have been at least double the size of a standard Bangkok Hospital room. I was well pleased with the room.

The room is, of course, not as important as the care given. I don't know if we just hit it lucky with the staff we had for a few days, but the care given was second to none I've received both here and in the UK, and I've experienced inpatient care at Bangkok Hospital (3 times), Petcharat Hospital, 2 private UK hospitals and a few NHS facilities. There was a constant stream of doctors and nurses carrying out various tests on my wife. Her care included 8 x-rays, where she was always taken to the front of the queue. Various machines were brought to the room, and numerous blood tests were taken. Routine observations every 2 hours without fail throughout the stay. Cleaners came 3 times during my day shifts, bedding changed regularly and PJs changed twice daily. They couldn't have been more attentive.

Even food was a class above. On the wards, food is served on a segregated aluminium tray. In the room, food was presented beautifully on proper crockery. Always several choices, and always enough for the carer as well (I doubt that was the hospital's plan :D ). I can be a bit squeamish with some Thai dishes, but there was always something I could eat.

The total cost was hideously low - about 2/3rds of just the cost of just a bed for one night at some hospitals. However, this cost is relative because a lot of the treatments are free or subsidised to Mrs BB being Thai.

We are very lucky to have such a facility in Hua Hin available to everybody. My final fear of HHH has been eliminated.

Thank you HHH for a 1st class job.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Re: Private Room Experience - Hua Hin Hospital

Post by migrant »

Glad to hear it worked out, hope Mrs BB is doing good!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

So what was the total cost and what would it have been if it were a farang in there? This is the question most pertinent to most of us!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The total cost is meaningless, because my wife, being a Thai pensioner, doesn't pay for many things, but it was 4,000 Baht.

A Farang would pay the room rate quoted, plus the cost of treatment/medication. The thing with HHH is you pay the actual cost of medication, tests and other treatments - they don't have shareholders to worry about. Actually, one thing I didn't mention is apart from choosing our room, the only time money was mentioned was in the last hour of our stay. At other hospitals, they make you sign funds across to them beforehand in case something goes wrong during your op.

I had always wondered about the level of care received at HHH - my experience tells me its 2nd to none.

There is also a myth about diagnostic equipment available at the hospital. They are very well equipped.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Buksida for us;
Emergency ambulance
Emergency care
IV
Cat scan
X-ray
Dr consultation$265 USD
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I agree. An essential difference between the Drs at HHH and BHHH.
For many of the Drs at BHHH their first and main job is at BH BKK, they commute up and down for a few days, sometimes just one day, Who do BKK send down-- The 2nd team.
HHH are single hospital Drs, residents of HH and are permanent. That makes a difference.
Contrary to what is expected, I have found the English abilities of many of the Drs ar HHH to be excellent.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Nice to read your report, BB. I long praised the care at HHH both for myself and family and visiting family/friends. For what you get, the cost has never been prohibitive.
My mother who is in her 90's has been treated there several times and she always compares it with the NHS. According to her, far better here.
She's just arrived here (coming up to 94 years of age) and because her condition has deteriorated requiring the need of a wheelchair, I inquired about rental. 500 baht a month and I was given a brand new chair (still had all the plastic to be taken off). Well pleased.

I echo your sentiment, well done HHH.

To those who say "Your get what you pay for" is not necessarily true!