Tips for reducing and reprocessing food waste in Thailand

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Tips for reducing and reprocessing food waste in Thailand

Post by PeteC »

Has anyone here seen in kitchen garbage disposal units? This is a motorized grinder which is part of your kitchen sink drain and handles all wet waste except hard bones, fruit pits, some types of fruit peels etc.

You need to have a good sewage system to handle the discharge, but they have been common in the west in both single family and high rises for decades.

I would think (hope) at least Bangkok now has an adequate sewage system and going forward I wouldn't be surprised to see garbage disposals a common installation in urban new build condos. Or am I dreaming?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Tips for recycling and reducing plastic use in Thailand

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:25 am Has anyone here seen in kitchen garbage disposal units? This is a motorized grinder which is part of your kitchen sink drain and handles all wet waste except hard bones, fruit pits, some types of fruit peels etc.
You need to have a good sewage system to handle the discharge, but they have been common in the west in both single family and high rises for decades.
I would think (hope) at least Bangkok now has an adequate sewage system and going forward I wouldn't be surprised to see garbage disposals a common installation in urban new build condos. Or am I dreaming?
I have one in my Condo, it is an Electrolux D500 built in under the kitchen sink. I rarely use it as intended as I live alone and most of the food waste is just chicken bones. There is no sewage system here, just several septic systems.
A properly functioning septic system will handle ground up food waste without any problrms, in fact, chicken bones will help it!

But as Buksida has posted, food waste is not the problem. I think that at the current level of pollution awareness in Thailand in general, a garbage unit would likely be fed all sorts of trash other than organic food waste! :roll:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Food waste isn't much of a problem in our household. We have two four legged food waste disposal units!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Enough to say briefly to keep the thread on track as this issue doesn't warrant its own thread (changed my mind :wink: )......food waste in landfills can be a huge health problem. Most specifically rats > Leptospirosis and Hantavirus. The first from contaminated water and the second by breathing in the aerosolized virus. The first 7-12 million new cases per year, the second much less but about a 40% fatality rate.

As usual the young, aged and those with compromised immune systems are the most vulnerable.

Plenty to read on both if interested.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

I'm surprised, since quite a bit if farming (pigs), that the 'slop' / leftover, unused food, both from restaurants and markets, aren't saved and given / sold to the pig farmers.

When in US Army, on base, all mess scrap, unused, spoiled food, went into the 'slop' bin, then to the 'slop' truck and carted of the the local pig farms. Most larger local restaurants and markets doing the same.

If municipalities cared enough, a system could easily be set up at Tessabons or whatever in cities, towns, villages for collection, daily disbursement. Or am I being too practical.

All things are possible, simple actually, if people cared enough, to have almost a zero impact on the environment. From not producing the container trash to begin with, to recycling and or ridding what is necessary

Though seem all aspect of all disposal is poorly, grossly mismanaged.