VAT refund from new property?

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

VAT refund from new property?

Post by dundrillin »

Claim you claim back vat when building a new property?
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Re: VAT refund from new property?

Post by T.O.M. »

Nice try..... :D
Keep on dreaming.
daddy

Post by daddy »

Yes you will get it back. But only if you take it along outside of Thailand. :mrgreen:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Lol. Just present your property to the Vat Reclaim desk at the airport when you leave......
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

In the UK new houses and construction materials used, in fact anything fitted is zero rated. When doing a build you pay VAT then reclaim it after completion. I get the impression from the not too helpful replies that this is not the case here.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Looking at my house purchase contract there is no VAT allocated to the sales price, the only VAT would have been on material purchases for which the buyer has no knowledge. The developer will claim any potential VAT rebates, the house buyer is not charged VAT therefore cannot claim anything.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I believe that in the UK, if you 'self-build' i.e. contract a builder who is VAT registered to do the construction, then you can claim back the VAT on any materials/services where VAT was charged.

Not the case in Thailand I'm afraid.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

HHTel wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:11 pm I believe that in the UK, if you 'self-build' i.e. contract a builder who is VAT registered to do the construction, then you can claim back the VAT on any materials/services where VAT was charged.

Not the case in Thailand I'm afraid.
Thanks for that. My situation is that I have bought the land and have engaged an architect and builder to do the construction. If the builder can reclaim the vat on kitchen,bathroom fittings, tiles etc I will be negotiating for at least a share of the vat costs to be refunded off my final my bill.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I doubt that you will have any success with that. More so if it is a reputable builder.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6043.0.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Nereus wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:36 pm I doubt that you will have any success with that. More so if it is a reputable builder.

http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6043.0.html
Thanks for that,very helpful. Now I know where I stand.