Chinese Herbal Medicine

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Chinese Herbal Medicine

Post by thecolonel »

Ok, so I've seen a Thai Chinese Doctor at San Paulo, and she has prescribed some herbal medicine. But unlike in UK where I received it already boiled down into a bottle to drink from this all needs 'cooking' down (see photo)

So specifically I'm looking for a pharmacy or Chinese Herbal Doc who can give me ready made medicine as I'd rather avoid that process if possible. I already asked the pharmacy he could supply me the herbs and they said no(corner of phetkasem and Soi 70)

Thanks

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: Chinese Herbal Medicine

Post by VincentD »

Unfortunately due to the diversity of TCM, and the fact that prescriptions are unique to each individual, decoction of said (pictured) herbs is the norm here. It does take a bit of time, and works slower than Western medicine, but TCM encompasses the whole body and tries to bring back a balance of health unlike WM that targets the symptom rather than a cure.
Mods feel free to delete below link if inappropriate.

https://www.acufinder.com/Acupuncture+I ... mPo.google
วินเชนท์
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

VincentD wrote:Unfortunately due to the diversity of TCM, and the fact that prescriptions are unique to each individual, decoction of said (pictured) herbs is the norm here. It does take a bit of time, and works slower than Western medicine, but TCM encompasses the whole body and tries to bring back a balance of health unlike WM that targets the symptom rather than a cure.
Mods feel free to delete below link if inappropriate.

https://www.acufinder.com/Acupuncture+I ... mPo.google
Yes, it sounds like it needs doing properly hence why I want 'them' to do it and not a complete beginner like myself!

Apart from the Thai lady at San Paulo is there anyone else practicing TCM here?

Thanks

Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I work with mainland Chinese and showed the picture to a couple of the lads and got two different answers. The consensus was that they agreed it had to be boiled in either a special pot or stainless steel pot (not aluminium or other metals) for at least an hour and the resulting broth be reduced until about a bowl's worth is left. The liquid would have to filtered to remove the ingredients leaving just a liquid. At this point there is confusion as to whether it would be a days worth of a longer time. Apparently the doctor should have told you how many doses the ingredients would make and how long to take the medicine.
It sounds like you would need to visit the doctor for clearer instructions and, as mentioned, get the medicine made up if possible. Another point of consensus is that this would not be a complete course as normally the medicine has to be taken over an extended period to be effective.
Probably not a lot of help but hopefully useful.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Gregjam wrote:I work with mainland Chinese and showed the picture to a couple of the lads and got two different answers. The consensus was that they agreed it had to be boiled in either a special pot or stainless steel pot (not aluminium or other metals) for at least an hour and the resulting broth be reduced until about a bowl's worth is left. The liquid would have to filtered to remove the ingredients leaving just a liquid. At this point there is confusion as to whether it would be a days worth of a longer time. Apparently the doctor should have told you how many doses the ingredients would make and how long to take the medicine.
It sounds like you would need to visit the doctor for clearer instructions and, as mentioned, get the medicine made up if possible. Another point of consensus is that this would not be a complete course as normally the medicine has to be taken over an extended period to be effective.
Probably not a lot of help but hopefully useful.
Sound advice and thanks. That's why I want it made up for me and I'm disappointed that this young Thai TCM Doc just seems to think I can sort this out myself. Hence I'm interested to learn of other practicioners in HH?

Thanks

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

google: Practitioners of TCM in Hua Hin, Thailand. There are several.