Electricity and Water Charges

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Electricity and Water Charges

Post by Nereus »

Power tariff expected to hit record high

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... ecord-high

The upsurge in global oil prices following the Russia-Ukraine war is expected to cause the power tariff, used to calculate electricity bills, to rise to a record high above 4 baht per kilowatt-hour (unit) for the first time, says the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC).

The new rate was discussed by energy officials when the ERC examined the impact of higher energy prices on the power tariff, which is made up of the base tariff and fuel tariff, or Ft.

While the Ft is mainly determined by fuel costs, the base tariff refers to the costs for power plants and distribution systems and is revised every 5-6 years in line with investment in the power industry and the business outlook.

Officials adjust the Ft every four months, basing their calculation on foreign exchange rates, power consumption and fuel costs.

"We are facing a double impact from higher energy prices -- one caused by higher energy demand following the reopening of countries after lockdown, and the other resulting from the Russia-Ukraine war," said Khomgrich Tantravanich, secretary-general of the ERC.

Under current conditions, the Ft would stand at 0.2477 baht per unit on top of an average base tariff of 3.76 baht per unit between May and August this year, according to the ERC.

The Ft will increase to 0.6483 baht per unit between September and December, said the regulator.

Thailand's highest power tariff was recorded in 2014 when it rose to 3.96 baht per unit as a result of a global oil price surge to more than US$110 a barrel from 2012 to early 2014.

Oil prices eased a few months later.

Higher natural gas prices also cause the Ft to increase because the gas pool, or gas supplied from the Gulf of Thailand, Myanmar and the Malaysia-Thailand Joint Development Area, as well as more expensive liquefied natural gas (LNG) imports, make up 55-60% of the fuel used in electricity generation in Thailand.

The gas pool price is expected to rise to 386 baht per million British thermal units (BTU), up from 340 baht per million BTU early this year. The price of LNG imports in the spot market is expected to increase to 780 baht per million BTU, up from 450 baht per million BTU in January last year.
Mr Khomgrich said if more oil is used in place of gas, the Ft could be reduced by 0.13 baht.

Another solution is to buy an additional 370 million units of electricity produced by biomass power plants, he said.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Nereus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:21 am The upsurge in global oil prices following the Russia-Ukraine war is expected to cause the power tariff, used to calculate electricity bills, to rise to a record high above 4 baht per kilowatt-hour (unit) for the first time, says the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC).
Ours has been above 4 baht/kwh for most of the past year. Expecting it to hit 5 now.

The junta could easily solve this problem by subsidizing solar and allowing regular folk to feed excess energy back into the grid as most developed countries do. But no, profit must come first for Thailand's state-run power monopoly.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:29 am
Nereus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:21 am The upsurge in global oil prices following the Russia-Ukraine war is expected to cause the power tariff, used to calculate electricity bills, to rise to a record high above 4 baht per kilowatt-hour (unit) for the first time, says the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC).
Ours has been above 4 baht/kwh for most of the past year. Expecting it to hit 5 now.

The junta could easily solve this problem by subsidizing solar and allowing regular folk to feed excess energy back into the grid as most developed countries do. But no, profit must come first for Thailand's state-run power monopoly.
I doubt that the govt. has the mental capacity to figure that out.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Menu/food prices rising in Bangkok and Thailand

Post by handdrummer »

In light of rising energy prices, state agencies are expected to propose various relief measures to the cabinet on Tuesday.

is that why electrical bills will rise in April? Maybe they'll review that idea.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Electricity bills to surge as power tariff hits all-time high
Thais face pricier electricity bills, with the power tariff increasing to a record high of 4.4 baht per kilowatt-hour (unit) between September and December, says the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC).

The higher power tariff, which is made up of the base tariff and fuel tariff, or Ft, results mainly from a need to import more liquefied natural gas (LNG), which is costly but currently serves as a key fuel for electricity generation.

The base tariff refers to the cost of power plants and distribution systems, while the Ft is mainly determined by fuel costs, which are increasing as the Russia-Ukraine war continues.

The state-run Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) has a limited budget to subsidise power bills.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/23 ... -time-high

Edit: ours has just arrived and its the lowest one for more than a year at under 2K (unit price was 4.53) ... but then the kids are back at school again now.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

For at least several months now I have not received my monthly water bill. I look after a couple other homes near me and they have also stopped receiving water bills. Anyone else seeing the same thing ? Anyone know what is going on ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I live just off Soi 94 and mine arrives each month, and the delivery guy takes payment there and then. Is yours city or Pranburi water?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:37 am I live just off Soi 94 and mine arrives each month, and the delivery guy takes payment there and then. Is yours city or Pranburi water?
City water, I normally pay in person at the water department near the Tessaban. I live near Wat Khao Yai, near Soi 114.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Fairly certain that if you take in an old bill they can check your record and you can pay whatever is owed?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, Dannie Boy is correct, just take in an old bill, and they will tell you what you owe.

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

My wife pays for ours via an app on her phone. The bill goes to the bank, and the bank pays it and sends a sim to tell us the amount. One less trip to town. We've never paid more than 61 baht a month.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is that not the problem - the bill has stopped arriving, so how can he?

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just paid my biggest electricity bill ever in Thailand. OK, I know quite modest compared to some, but exactly 4,000฿ :shock: . I've looked at units used, and it's a mid-stream number based on the last 6 months usage.

I don't think it'll break the bank, but hitting the 4,000฿ mark for the first time has sort of broken a psychological barrier :D.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Strangely, mine has gone down by a few hundred baht. I've given up trying to work it out.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not strange, my daughter said the same.

Points 48; Position 20