Thai Driving License renewal

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Thai Driving License renewal 2019-22

Post by caller »

caller wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:33 pm I have downloaded the DLT app, but can't find how to book an apointment, which some of you have done. Help please.

Sorry, is this the correct website? https://prb.dlt.go.th/
Just to add, most of the site doesn't seem to actuallly do anything, the pages that link to DL's, seem to have something there, but nothing happens when I click on it. Maybe my OS is too modern?
Talk is cheap
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Caller,
The site you linked to wasn't the one I used. This was though:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=US

Obviously, it's an app. Must admit my wife called one of her nieces who talked us through things but it was pretty easy to manage and book an appointment.

Hope that helps.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

sateeb wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:28 pm This one?
https://www.google.co.th/maps/@12.55802 ... 8192?hl=en
Yep, that's the one. Nice bar opposite to use as a 'waiting room!'
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

lomuamart wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:58 pm Caller,
The site you linked to wasn't the one I used. This was though:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... l=en&gl=US

Obviously, it's an app. Must admit my wife called one of her nieces who talked us through things but it was pretty easy to manage and book an appointment.

Hope that helps.
Yes Lomu, it does, or it should do, but the app is not available via play store as it thinks I am still in the UK - doh! I am quite happy to change my Country, but Google want me to add a payment method first. I have never bought a thing from them and have no intention of doing so! So I will ask my other half to do it, but only after feeback from Terry tomorrow.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

No appt necessary. Walk in works. Even the ticket they give you states WALK IN.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Arrived at 9:30. Took a queue ticket to 'register'. Short delay because I only had one medical cert. so they needed a copy. (mbike and car). That delayed me just long enough (10:00) to miss the current physical ability session so had to wait until 11:00.
I was still out with both licences by 11:30. So if your timing is right, it's done in one hour.

I saw absolutely no advantage by making an appt. Walk-in were given blue cards and those with appts had yellow cards. Guess who they processed first? The walk-in's!

Not quite sure what other documents I had. That nice lady in the copy shop at immigration did everything I needed for the residency letters and also handed me two sets of docs stapled together. "They are what you need for the DLT". She was correct of course.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks Terry, that'll do me. Appreciate your feedback.

One final question - how far in advance can you renew it? My current one runs for another month.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Do it the day after your birthday, and get an extra 12 months.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:31 pm Do it the day after your birthday, and get an extra 12 months.
Really! Sadly, I will be in Khon Kaen then.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Mine is now valid until January 2029. It will always go for 5 years from your next birthday.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:31 pm Do it the day after your birthday, and get an extra 12 months.
I've never understood this point.

So, if my birthday occurs after the licence expires, does that make it legal to drive on the expired licence?

My birthday is in August but my licence, admittedly already expired but I was an international one, was renewed on Jan 31st this year.

Surely I couldn't have left things until this August or I might have run into problems with insurance in the case of an accident.

I get the niceties of visa stuff. I've been through them for a long time. But I just don't understand the driving licence.

Maybe you're suggesting to renew early? Honestly, I'm just confused. :oops:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Renewal is always on your birthday, so nobody says anything for being a day late renewing. The new licence expiry will be calculated 5 years from the date of your next birthday.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Surely I couldn't have left things until this August or I might have run into problems with insurance in the case of an accident.
My son had a nasty accident a few years ago. He didn't have a licence to drive but the insurance paid out anyway. In Thailand it's the vehicle that's insured, not the driver unlike in the UK for e.g.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

My son had a nasty accident a few years ago. He didn't have a licence to drive but the insurance paid out anyway. In Thailand it's the vehicle that's insured, not the driver unlike in the UK for e.g.
[/quote]
Whilst this is the general rule, there are some exceptions - during Covid friends got stuck in Australia and I ended up driving their car once a month to ensure the battery and brakes etc were kept ok. Their insurance policy was for named drivers and they had to have me added to their policy - it’s the only case I know of, but assume their must be other cases?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I didn't know that so I checked. A 'named driver' policy allows up to 4 named drivers. It doesn't stop others driving your car legally but if other than the named drivers are involved in an accident, then the insurance company MAY not cover them.
Apparently, it's the cheapest type of insurance which is probably the reason it's not advertised.
Unlike in the UK, just because a driver is not one of the named drivers, it's not illegal for that driver to use the car.
Government insurance still applies regardless of who is driving.