Small speaker for laptop

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Small speaker for laptop

Post by thecolonel »

Need to buy a small external (plug in) portable speaker for my 15" laptop. I watch a lot of TV on it and want more sound as I'm busying about my room...

Anyone bought similar or know a good place to go?

Cheers

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

buksida

Re: Small speaker for laptop

Post by buksida »

There are hundreds of them on the third floor of MV.

Bigger selection on Lazada though if you hate malls!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If you have a smart phone, load some music that you like and plug the speakers into it. Listen to the difference between 2 speakers and 2 w/a sub-woofer. Make sure there's volume and tone controls on the speakers and they derive their power from AC. You could buy online but only after you've listened to the speakers.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote:If you have a smart phone, load some music that you like and plug the speakers into it. Listen to the difference between 2 speakers and 2 w/a sub-woofer. Make sure there's volume and tone controls on the speakers and they derive their power from AC. You could buy online but only after you've listened to the speakers.
Thanks for tips, although I'm not really looking for 2 speakers more a single travel type speaker (doesn't have to be Bluetooth but could be)

If I play music on my laptop the volume is fine, but when I play my TV package it's a bit poor and I'm forced to use earphones but I don't always want to.

Will go MV tomorrow, cheers

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote:If you have a smart phone, load some music that you like and plug the speakers into it. Listen to the difference between 2 speakers and 2 w/a sub-woofer. Make sure there's volume and tone controls on the speakers and they derive their power from AC. You could buy online but only after you've listened to the speakers.
OK so i know we're talking less than 500 baht here... But I hate making the wrong choice! Image

I saw 2 options today and decided to go back on tuesday. The shop was on the cross junction mall and at the Pektasem road end of mall. Near banks.(T wiz?) should have taken photos...

Option 1 250 baht

medium size but small enough, would do the job, sound average. Had good amount of features, next track, vol control, USB/micro usb etc felt a bit cheap but OK i think

Option 2 450 baht

Very compact and reassuringly heavy! A better deeper sound - he said sub woofer because I asked but whether it does or not I'm not sure. But louder /richer sound for sure. However pretty featureless, vol control/next track by phone laptop....

I wouldn't be unhappy with option 1 I think but if option 2 had more features I'd be happier... But do I really need them? Decisions decisions!

Assume im in the right ball park money wise? Guess it's up to me what quality of sound I want. Both were Bluetooth and cable too

With anything like this I'm always worried about getting one that doesn't have a certain feature that is a really 'must have' but my gut tells me I just need it to be a speaker and I'll change the track/vol with my source device.

Why does it need AC power source? As opposed to being powered/charged by the phone /laptop?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ps saw some nice new Xiaomi phones will post on separately

Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

I bought a “Bose” knockoff a few years ago at MV, it sounds like your 450 bt unit. I’m extremely happy it. It has AC power supply to charge the batteries, which seem to last for days. I don’t find anything lacking with it, most of the time I use it via Bluetooth with my iPad. It’s easy to pack around the garden as I move from place to place or from room to room as I move from project to project.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Scout wrote:I bought a “Bose” knockoff a few years ago at MV, it sounds like your 450 bt unit. I’m extremely happy it. It has AC power supply to charge the batteries, which seem to last for days. I don’t find anything lacking with it, most of the time I use it via Bluetooth with my iPad. It’s easy to pack around the garden as I move from place to place or from room to room as I move from project to project.
Yeah that's the sort of reassurance I'm looking for.... "I bought this here for x and I like it!"

The 450 one comes in a funky little shell zip case.

Good to 'hear' you like it! Image

VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I bought a DiVoom Travel a few years ago more because I wanted a hands-free speaker in the car and have found the sound surprisingly good for its size. You can charge the internal battery and use it as a stand alone bluetooth option, or what I sometimes like to do is hang it on a tree coupled with an MP3 player (el cheapo for 200 baht). Lovely bass as well. It is ROHS certified and water-resistant to IP44.
It cost me around 2,000 baht back then, bought from a shop in Chonburi in a shopping center similar to MV mall.
Check their website for more details.

Note that I don't use it as a speakerphone in the car any more as I rigged up a wired solution using the 3.5" jack to the car stereo that bypasses the bluetooth option so I can receive calls over social media as well, which is something bluetooth cannot do.
วินเชนท์
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

thecolonel wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:10 pm
OK so i know we're talking less than 500 baht here... But I hate making the wrong choice! Image

I saw 2 options today and decided to go back on tuesday. The shop was on the cross junction mall and at the Pektasem road end of mall. Near banks.(T wiz?) should have taken photos...

Option 1 250 baht

medium size but small enough, would do the job, sound average. Had good amount of features, next track, vol control, USB/micro usb etc felt a bit cheap but OK i think

Option 2 450 baht

Very compact and reassuringly heavy! A better deeper sound - he said sub woofer because I asked but whether it does or not I'm not sure. But louder /richer sound for sure. However pretty featureless, vol control/next track by phone laptop....

I wouldn't be unhappy with option 1 I think but if option 2 had more features I'd be happier... But do I really need them? Decisions decisions!

Assume im in the right ball park money wise? Guess it's up to me what quality of sound I want. Both were Bluetooth and cable too

With anything like this I'm always worried about getting one that doesn't have a certain feature that is a really 'must have' but my gut tells me I just need it to be a speaker and I'll change the track/vol with my source device.

Why does it need AC power source? As opposed to being powered/charged by the phone /laptop?

Thanks

If you run your computer from the AC and it has enough power to drive the speakers at a volume you like then you don't need the AC plug on the speakers. If you run the speakers from an phone or battery driven PC you'll run down the battery quicker and may not have enough power to drive the speaker.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

handdrummer wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:10 pm

Option 1 250 baht

Option 2 450 baht

Thanks

If you run your computer from the AC and it has enough power to drive the speakers at a volume you like then you don't need the AC plug on the speakers. If you run the speakers from an phone or battery driven PC you'll run down the battery quicker and may not have enough power to drive the speaker.
Gotcha, makes sense.

HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Note that I don't use it as a speakerphone in the car any more as I rigged up a wired solution using the 3.5" jack to the car stereo that bypasses the bluetooth option so I can receive calls over social media as well, which is something bluetooth cannot do.
I have my phone linked by bluetooth to my in-car system (Pajero) and I receive calls from messenger, Whatsapp and Line as well as normal phone calls. Automatically answered of course, good or bad as it doesn't allow you to reject the call! So bluetooth can do it.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Daughter uses this Xiaomi speaker when not using headphones. I thought it sounded pretty good for the price.

This link being the official Xiaomi store (Xiao Mi)on LAZ: https://goo.gl/yeM9St
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

HHTel wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:17 am I have my phone linked by bluetooth to my in-car system (Pajero) and I receive calls from messenger, Whatsapp and Line as well as normal phone calls. Automatically answered of course, good or bad as it doesn't allow you to reject the call! So bluetooth can do it.
Possibly. It is an older Kenwood model that did not have bluetooth and this was an add-on. I don't use the stereo much so changing the head unit was not on the cards. Hardwiring did not cost a lot and brings me back to my car tinkering days so I learnt something in the process and have a working handsfree phone in the car now.

The speaker worked better but was an odd shape that does not fit a car environment. I sometimes do use it plugged into the laptop as my hearing isn't quite what it used to be and I don't like earbuds.
There are many small speakers to choose from but don't buy too cheap. My sister-in-law bought one such thing for around 400 baht where you have to plug in both a 3.5" speaker out jack as well as a usb one (for power). It was eventually consigned to it's rightful place in the wastebin.
วินเชนท์
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Vincent #13... Sister in law... precisely what I'm trying to avoid!

europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

FYI speaker prices starts at 280 Bht.