The disgraceful attitude of Airport Immigration

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: The disgraceful attitude of Airport Immigration

Post by oakdale160 »

Give me 1000b and I'll tell you.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Been retired here 18 years, today, matter of fact, 18th 'anniversary', and starting year 19 now. A day that will live in...........yea.....whatever.... :roll:

Know how the system works, and it actually works quite well here. They make rules / laws, and enforce them. We obey.

Seems everyone wants exactly that, or so they say, here and in our home countries...........unless and until applied to them, when they violate them........go figure.

IO is damned if they does, damned if they don't. I prefer them to do their job.

My tax ฿฿฿ well spent ......... :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

She did overstay...……………………………………………………...
I think even a useless Thai Lawyer would only take 5 minutes to have that thrown out of court! Her flight was delayed/ cancelled/confused by Thai logic and probably several other legal reasons!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Even the OP clearly states, she overstayed. The proper thing to do, when receiving notice of flight cancellation, would have been to go to immigration, and speak with them.

Maybe a notation in her record, stating the obvious, or, extend her visa, with or without a fee. They are quite considerate that way, and know a few, due to medical issues / oops, w/doc's note, and cast on arm or leg, had visa simply re-stamped to later date, without charge. Even advising immigration after visa expired, an no problem, no charge............so no excuses in the OP's situation, as described.

It's our responsibility to not overstay, or contact immigration otherwise, not the airlines.

"Here's a list of the 1000s of passengers on our flights, please allow them to overstay"............seriously

And a lawyer would have lost, if letter of law applied, as advance notice was given, with time to correct visa. Request for ฿1000 fine, means 3 days overstay, as 1st is a freebie, I think. She had a least one full day / Thursday to notify immigration, if not longer, depending when she was notified.

It really isn't rocket science.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Firstly, 1,000 baht fine is for 2 days overstay. The first is only free if not exceeded one day. Once it becomes 2 days then the fine applies to both days.
Secondly, having aborted a trip to the airport, a trip to immigration during opening hours and an unknown wait would have put the final trip to the airport to catch the re-arranged flight in jeopardy. I wish you'd have been here Laphanphon, you could have created a bigger problem than the one existing.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Does sound like you had most of Thursday to sort it out, and that's IF, you didn't know of the flight change until actually at the airport Thursday. Since early flight, my next stop would have been immigration.

That's just me, others obviously would choose differently, and take there chance.

So you rolled the dice, she got a bit of 'brow beating', and save 1000 baht. Sounds like a no issue to me.

Why complain about someone simply doing their job ?

With the attitude of some, seems she would make the perfect terrorist.........let her get on plane without following the rules......just a thought.

DISCLAIMER: ... LOL ... I probably would have done the same, rolled the dice, took the 'brow beating', if saving 1000 baht, or paid. As going to immigration, wouldn't be worth my hassle, or possible 1900 baht to extend.... LOL I have a hard time sitting there once a year as it is, as patience isn't one of my virtues. Especially if talking about BKK, IF HH airport, then maybe have gone to imm......maybe.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

All's well that ends well. The purpose of my post was to highlight the attitude taken at the airport.

My mother travels on a non-o visa and according to my friend in immigration, that can't be extended locally for a 'few days'. Apart from retirement, marriage etc., the only way to extend is to leave the country with a re-entry before the visa expires. He said that immigration here wouldn't have been able to help and would have to be sorted at the airport. He confirmed we did the right thing and that she shouldn't have been charged at all under the circumstances.

Anyway, it's done now. It was my mother's last trip because of health issues so it's not going to happen again.
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 am Really??? I've never heard that one before.
You won't have heard that one before, because it never happened.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

buksida wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:42 am Reminds me of a story years ago when a bunch of us were caught up in the tsunami. Thaksin went on TV saying 'no problems for foreigners' regarding visas etc. The immigration fascistas had other plans and everyone was fined for having 'unreadable stamps' due to disaster soaked passports.
JWWhite wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:31 pm
Big Boy wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:50 am Really??? I've never heard that one before.
You won't have heard that one before, because it never happened.
That's a bold assertion, Mr White, can you substantiate it?
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

JWWhite wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:31 pm You won't have heard that one before, because it never happened.
I can assure you it happened because I was one of those fined along side my colleague at the time so you can take your ignorant assertions and comments and stick them where the sun doesn't shine.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

we are awaiting your response JWWhite in order that we can all comment and clarify how wrong your statement was!!
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

After reading this thread I have just passed through BKK on my way home with some trepidation, having accidentally overstayed by a day.

In the hope of avoiding a lecture, I immediately 'fessed up and handed over a 500 baht note with my passport.

My passport was duly stamped and the 500 baht note returned with it.

'One day doesn't matter' the officer said..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

One day is waived at the airport. But if you were 2 days overstay then the first day is charged also = 1,000 baht