Where to get Mexican food in Hua Hin ?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Where to get Mexican food in Hua Hin ?

Post by Scout »

My wife and I have been hungering for Mexican Food lately. Thursday we went to El Toro on Soi 94. The enchiladas were nice (and portion was large), the tacos were disappointing as were the nachos. Portions were small, except the enchiladas, including only a small dollop of sour cream. We had to order guacamole separately, which was acceptable and an ok size. Prices were expensive. I drank water, wife had a glass of red wine and we tipped 50 baht, total cost for 2 people was 900 baht. We’d like to find better Mexican Food options, can anyone recommend or share other Hua Hin Mexican Food restaurants?
Felipesed1
Professional
Professional

Re: Where to get Mexican food in Hua Hin ?

Post by Felipesed1 »

The Cantina, on soi 88, left hand side just before Lee Bar.
Quite acceptable, and not expensive.
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

Taco restaurant on corner of Soi 94 and Petchakasem Road. OK.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

We tried The Cantina last night. Great food, less expensive prices, much larger portions and the husband / wife team are delightful people. An excellent experience overall. They were out of guacamole and recommend calling ahead to ensure a fresh supply, which we will do in the future, their number is 032-861689. Felipesed1, thanks for the recommendation ! We are still interested in experiencing other Mexican Food establishments but will definitely return to The Cantina.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

Scout wrote:We tried The Cantina last night. Great food, less expensive prices, much larger portions and the husband / wife team are delightful people. An excellent experience overall. They were out of guacamole and recommend calling ahead to ensure a fresh supply, which we will do in the future, their number is 032-861689. Felipesed1, thanks for the recommendation ! We are still interested in experiencing other Mexican Food establishments but will definitely return to The Cantina.
I agree. Cantina is really good value Mexican food. My favourites are the chimmichangas! Here with extra sour cream.ImageImage

YNWA

YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

A silly question maybe with all the places closing for good due to Covid?

Over here in the East, and from what I understand in Bangkok, Mexican food is becoming available everywhere. Not only Mexican restaurants, but Rib, Steak, Burger and Pizza places as well. It seems Thais have now discovered it, and can spice it up as much and in whatever ways they want.

I know years ago HH had one, and the first, over by the railroad tracks. He was ahead of his time so it seems as he closed I think after about a year. The forum followed his story closely and it was quite sad when he had to throw in the towel.

Anyway, as the Bangkok crowd seems to enjoy it, you may see more places opening as Covid fades away. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

PS: It is not a cuisine for those who are trying to lose weight! :thumb:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

The best one here, IMHO, Manaw Taqueria announced they are closing.

Just got back from the Marriott taco night buffet. Living with a Mexican family when young, and also living many years in Southern California with Mexico a 2 hour drive away, I can't say the food was very authentic, but there was a lot of it and was good, just not authentic as I have known it. 499 baht per person. Not real busy although the hotel was real busy. Mainly falang or mixed couples.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The Cantina, on soi 88 is now permanently closed, however a new Mexian place has opened on the right hand side of Soi 88 driving uo from the rail line. It maybe the same owners.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:59 pm The Cantina, on soi 88 is now permanently closed, however a new Mexian place has opened on the right hand side of Soi 88 driving uo from the rail line. It maybe the same owners.
We tried that by grab a month or so ago. It was tasty.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:59 pm The Cantina, on soi 88 is now permanently closed, however a new Mexian place has opened on the right hand side of Soi 88 driving uo from the rail line. It maybe the same owners.
Not the same owners. The owner of this new place is a Canadian guy who has never operated a Mexican place before. He employs a local gal as his chef, as I guess she used to work at another Mexican restaurant on Soi 94. I wrote a lengthy review with lots of pictures on Google Maps. I’ve only had the one visit and it was alright. And now we have lost Manaw this week. One step forward and one step back with Mexican eateries in Hua Hin. The buffet on Thursdays sounds promising. I’ll have to check it out.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Jack_Batty wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:10 pm The buffet on Thursdays sounds promising. I’ll have to check it out.
Don't be too hopeful. It was tasty but not really authentic. It did have 10 different hot sauces from mild to RIP.

My Thai wife, who lived in So California 20 years and had many Mexican friends was real disappointed. I think she set her hopes too high.
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

migrant wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:13 pm
Jack_Batty wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:10 pm The buffet on Thursdays sounds promising. I’ll have to check it out.
Don't be too hopeful. It was tasty but not really authentic. It did have 10 different hot sauces from mild to RIP.

My Thai wife, who lived in So California 20 years and had many Mexican friends was real disappointed. I think she set her hopes too high.
That’s too bad. I am still on a quest to find Mexican food like I had back home. We had a chain in Seattle called Taqueria el Rinconsito. My go-to was a beef tongue burrito that was heaven. Also had to have their mulitas, which were out of this world. I did bring three bottles of Tapatio with me when I moved here, so I will definitely bring a bottle with me whenever I do find a Mexican place to try out.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Why would anyone think that they would find an authentic Mexican food restaurant in Hua Hin?
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:36 pm Why would anyone think that they would find an authentic Mexican food restaurant in Hua Hin?
Every country has their immigrants who bring their culture with them. Mexican food has a lot of the same spices as Thai food so it's not inconceivable that there can be authentic Mexican food.

Are you saying there is no authentic foods from other countries in Hua Hin?