Where to get Mexican food in Hua Hin ?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Where to get Mexican food in Hua Hin ?

Post by sateeb »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:36 pm Why would anyone think that they would find an authentic Mexican food restaurant in Hua Hin?
Yeah, it's not like we can get Italian, English, Indian, French yada yada yada :naughty:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Come on chaps, to be fair to the drummer, Mexican is a tad more 'niche' than most, and the word 'authentic' is hardly irrelevant. I don't think he means Taco Bell... :laugh:
This is the way
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Sure D-M I would believe there are not many Mexicans here but Manaw, for what they had, was awfully close to similar items I have had at Mexican friends homes so it is possible.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

migrant wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:52 pm
handdrummer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:36 pm Why would anyone think that they would find an authentic Mexican food restaurant in Hua Hin?
Every country has their immigrants who bring their culture with them. Mexican food has a lot of the same spices as Thai food so it's not inconceivable that there can be authentic Mexican food.

Are you saying there is no authentic foods from other countries in Hua Hin?
No, I said only what I said. There are no in-between the lines in anything that I write.

I doubt that there are any Mexican immigrants in Hua Hin and probably not in Thailand. Tourists maybe.

You can't buy the same cheeses here that you can buy in Mexico. Danitas make excellent flour tortillas but the texture is different than hand made tortillas, their corn tortillas are rubbery. Mexican ground beef tastes different than Thai ground beef because the feed is different. Not better or worse, just different. Thai hot sauces taste different than Mexican hot sauces; different chilies. All of which goes to say that you can't get "authentic" Mexican food in Hua Hin. That doesn't mean that it doesn't taste good, just not authentic.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Soooo . . . it goes all the way down to the feed that an animal is given for something to be "authentic"? I guess the same could be said for the soil that other ingredients might be grown in. Or the rain and the amount of sunlight? If not the same, then it's not "authentic" at all.

The chefs of the world now are aware as am I.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

centermid7 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:31 pm Soooo . . . it goes all the way down to the feed that an animal is given for something to be "authentic"? I guess the same could be said for the soil that other ingredients might be grown in. Or the rain and the amount of sunlight? If not the same, then it's not "authentic" at all.

The chefs of the world now are aware as am I.
If authenticity includes flavor, then yes, the feed and soil matter. Again, that doesn't mean it doesn't taste good or that someone won't enjoy it. Can the argument stop being expanded in order for someone to prove a point?

Authentic: not copied or false. Which would mean, in it's narrowest sense, that only the original Mexican dish would be authentic.

To go back to the original point; I wouldn't expect to get "authentic" Mexican food in Hua Hin. Substitutes are acceptable.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:53 pm To go back to the original point; I wouldn't expect to get "authentic" Mexican food in Hua Hin. Substitutes are acceptable.
:laugh: :agree: I suppose a classic and very simple example would be fish & chips. Available at plenty of places in HH, but none of it could be called authentic in terms of what you'd expect from a British chip shop.
:cheers: :cheers:
This is the way
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:21 pm
handdrummer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:53 pm To go back to the original point; I wouldn't expect to get "authentic" Mexican food in Hua Hin. Substitutes are acceptable.
:laugh: :agree: I suppose a classic and very simple example would be fish & chips. Available at plenty of places in HH, but none of it could be called authentic in terms of what you'd expect from a British chip shop.
That and friends are what I miss about Britain.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:21 pm
Actually, those places selling importd fish that you would expect to eat with fish and chips are pretty good. But the chips let them down. I think it's all down to the spuds available here. Which is why most serve frozen chips.

Best fish and chips I have eaten in Thailand? Busters on Sukhumvit 33/1, the little soi with the original villa market on the corner. Awesome.
Talk is cheap
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Just enjoy what ever is available without comparing to the real deal.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

El Toro Loco…new location on Soi 102. I went there with friends this past weekend. The Stone Head Band is as good as I remember. Mexican food on the menu…ah, got some pork nachos. They were alright. Looked good, but just missing….something. I don’t know what. Asked for a side of guacamole and what I got was, what appeared to be, about 1/4 of an avocado diced into the nachos. My friend then asked for guacamole as well, and was told the restaurant was out of avocados. I would definitely go back for the music and atmosphere. I would not go back just to scratch a Mexican food itch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

To bring this topic back up to date: Are there currently any good mexican restaurants left in Hua Hin?
Jack_Batty
Professional
Professional

Post by Jack_Batty »

HarryVardon wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:25 pm To bring this topic back up to date: Are there currently any good mexican restaurants left in Hua Hin?
I only know of two. El Toro Loco and La Mexicana. Having had them both, my answer to your question is ‘no’. They are both just ok, in my opinion. If anyone knows of any other Mexican restaurants that I can try in the area, I would love to hear about them.
ahandpatsy
Professional
Professional

Post by ahandpatsy »

The Cornish man bar soi 94 have a Mexican menu !?

Have to try but yes it's true
londongeorge

Post by londongeorge »

Does anyone know if this place has opened up again. They had a caravan on Soi 51 but before I had a chance to try the food it was gone.

https://www.facebook.com/Delish-Dishes- ... e_internal