Noob question about buying property

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
TimboMull
Novice
Novice

Noob question about buying property

Post by TimboMull »

Hi - I gather from all the stuff I see online, that to say the Thai property market is complex would be an understatement.
So I'd like to clarify two things, if possible?
1. Foreigners can buy a condo, as long as farng occupancy in the building doesn't exceed 49%
and
2. Foreigners can buy a townhouse, but only on a leasehold basis, renewable every thirty years or so.
If No. 2 is correct, is there a huge fee or something, for a renewal?

There's no wife or Thai involved, by the way.

Any help, greatly app!

Tim.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Noob question about buying property

Post by Nereus »

TimboMull wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:32 pm Hi - I gather from all the stuff I see online, that to say the Thai property market is complex would be an understatement.
So I'd like to clarify two things, if possible?
1. Foreigners can buy a condo, as long as farng occupancy in the building doesn't exceed 49%
and
2. Foreigners can buy a townhouse, but only on a leasehold basis, renewable every thirty years or so.
If No. 2 is correct, is there a huge fee or something, for a renewal?

There's no wife or Thai involved, by the way.
Any help, greatly app! Tim.
Yes, you are basically correct. For a townhouse it is basically the same as a separate house and the fees, AND the renewal, depends entirely on the owner of the land, plus what it costs to register a lease.

Stay away! Buy a Condo in you own name, if you must! :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
TimboMull
Novice
Novice

Post by TimboMull »

Cheers Nereus!
Not sure if there's a slight ambiguity here: do you mean buying a condo is prefereble (legally/financially) to a townhouse?
It's the '... if you must' that threw me!
Thanks again - Tim.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

It's the '... if you must' that threw me!
No ambiguity. It simply means if buying something is what you need to do!

Condos are secure and legal, but one thing that you need to watch out for is how the Juristic is managed. Try and find out from existing owners how well the complex is maintained. It can become a problem with some developments where some of the co-owners consider themselves above paying the common fees. The result is rapid deterioration of the building and services, resulting in rapid lowering of the value. If a lot of the units are rented out that can also result in problems. Much better if the majority of residents are actual owners. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
TimboMull
Novice
Novice

Post by TimboMull »

Ah.... I see - thanks for that excellent insight.
There's more to this than meets the eye!
Cheers :)