Zip Trip to Malaysia - Photo Trip Report

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Zip Trip to Malaysia - Photo Trip Report

Post by Big Boy »

Actually, when planning our visit, the Batu Caves were considered. We decided there wouldn't be time. It looks well impressive/very colourful. They were listed as Batu Bat Caves, and we both like bats. Do you get to see bats? Another impressive photo - not a piece of rubbish. 272 steps would have been fine so long as we took it slowly.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Great report bb, thanks again.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Thanks very much for sharing. Really good report. China Town and the towers brought back some fond memories of the one time I visited in '08.

Only one criticism of your report...

Not sure if it's changed now, but I remember being constantly harrassed (in the evening) by swarms of the skankiest looking street hookers I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing. This was around the China Town area. I'm talking gumtoothed, 23kg, one eyed things that could quite easily take lead roles in 'The Hills Have Eyes'. I remember the price they were quoting being similar to a Cadbury's fudge in the U.k

Would have been nice to get a few pictures of the 'local wildlife' for comedy value.

Just a suggestion for consideration when you do your nxt trip report.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lost wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:58 am swarms of the skankiest looking street hookers I've ever had the displeasure of witnessing. This was around the China Town area.
I must have been so engrossed in my shopping that I never noticed them. As far as I know, they weren't there.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Comparison/Conclusion

We thoroughly enjoyed our zip trip. My friend who is a regular to Thailand, will most certainly consider spending more time in Malaysia next time, and will explore a lot further. Personally, if I didn’t have such strong family ties to Thailand, and was looking for somewhere to retire, Malaysia would feature well above Thailand in the pecking order.

The train journey was a big adventure for 2 wrinklies, who had never done it before, but took a whole day to complete. If I return to Malaysia, and I sincerely hope I do, I would most certainly fly. The flight was on a modern, clean aircraft. Not a lot of legroom, but it’s only 2 hours.

I will just bullet point the pros and cons that we spotted whilst there.

Pros:

• Brits, and I’m sure many other nations, get an automatic free 3 month visa exemption on arrival.
• Cleanliness – I would rate this as the cleanest country I have ever known. Travelling by train on the route South I was amazed at how little rubbish there was. I’m including ‘civilised’ countries like England and USA in the comparison.
• Traffic stops at red traffic lights.
• Traffic stops at zebra crossings – if they see you waiting to cross, they actually stop to let you cross first.
• The Thailand ‘Me First’ mindset did not seem to exist.
• Motorcyclists and their passengers all wear helmets. In our time there, I saw 1 motorcyclist and his passenger without helmets. They were in a very rural area.
• ‘Clean’ public toilets could be found everywhere.
• With the exception of alcohol, prices seemed on a par with Thailand.
• Grab Taxis are legal in Malaysia, together with a lot of other services that could be beneficial. It was nice to know if you started a journey, there was a good likelihood you would finish it without the taxi being stopped by police, and tea money extorted.
• Don’t believe everything you read in trip reports. Reports I had read, in the main had put me off going on a trip to Malaysia. We were there for just a couple of days and loved every second of it.

Cons:

• In our short time there, we did not see any pharmacies. I’m sure there is a simple answer, but I had a small wound and needed alcohol and betadine to treat it. I could not get any.
• In Thailand I’d get my alcohol and betadine in a 7-11. I went in to a couple to ask, and received very curt responses. They were shocked I was trying to buy alcohol in a 7-11. I explained it was for medical reasons, and showed them my wound. However, trying to buy any kind of alcohol in a 7-11 seems taboo. In fact, outside of crisps and soft drinks, 7-11s didn’t seem to sell very much at all.
• In my introduction, I said “When I get to my conclusion, I will explain why I think I’ve read so many negative reports.” I rarely drink, and don’t do girly bars (although I did in a previous life). I’m not criticizing people who do, but we didn’t see any Binthablock/Soi 80 type bars. We weren’t looking, so they may exist. If they do, the price of beer is crazy. I guess there will be such an area in tourist towns, but well hidden from daily life.
• Cars and motorcycles drive legally on pavements in Kuala Lumpur. In fact they seem to be accepted/encouraged. We almost came a cropper several times. Taxi ranks aren’t in lay-bys, they are on the pavements. Maybe locals know where they are, but visitors just get the fright of their lives when a taxi honks it’s horn when 2” behind you.
• Dual pricing is very prevalent, but don’t forget your passport – some concessions are available to OAPs to soften the blow
• If using Google Maps, downloads do not work very well if not connected to the Internet, and on foot. If reliant on the service, consider taking up a short term Internet package.
• Bum Guns – probably the one thing Thailand leads the world in. Malaysia’s version was primitive to say the least. A tap on the wall with a nozzle on the end of a hose (even in the higher end places we visited). With no exaggeration, you needed to be a contortionist to use one. Sticking one end to the bits that needed cleaning, whilst reaching behind to operate the top. I guess it gave a good work out. Seriously though, it was not easy, and judging by the amount of water on the floors of public toilets, I’d guess accidents were common. I did not have an accident (more luck than judgment), but completely removed shorts and underwear each time as a precaution (sorry – too much information).

Costs(per head)

• Train Hua Hin to Padang Besar - 885฿
• Train Padang Besar to Sentral Kuala Lumpur - 750฿
• Le Apple Boutique Hotel per night - 1600฿
• Flight (with a couple of Air Asia extras) Kuala Lumpur to Hua Hin - 1105฿

• For English readers, take conversion as £1 = 37฿ (how scary is that? I heard Sainsburys in the UK were offering £1 = 32฿ on 1st Oct).

What started as a border run with a friend, turned out to be a very enjoyable trip. A trip I would not mind repeating at some stage.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Great report BB.
When you consider how difficult it is to get a driving licence in Malaysia (minimum 3 years with 'L' and 'P' plates) it's understandable why driving is so much better.
Next time, you should try Langkawi. It's a duty free island so cigarettes and booze are cheaper than in Thailand.
I found Google maps worked fine, even on the island though I've no experience using it in KL.
Like you, if I didn't have ties here, I would definitely consider moving to Malaysia. Probably to Langkawi.

One thing you didn't mention was the attitude of the police. They're certainly not as 'visible' as they are here. But on the couple of occasions I've spoken with them, I found them to be very polite and their English is also very good.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I didn't mention the police in my conclusion, but did say:
. So when you’re not sure, what do you do? You ask a policeman. A couple of policemen had indicated that we had to get off the grass at Merdeka Square, which we duly did when we’d finished taking our photos. We then chased after them to ask for directions. I immediately knew by his reaction that it was more than a ‘short walk’, especially for a couple of wrinklies. Basically, go back to the main road. Turn right and at the 2nd roundabout take the exit at 2 o’clock. Then a ‘long walk’ up the hill, and eventually it would be signposted. The police officers we spoke to were very friendly/helpful – we didn’t get the impression at any time that we were being assessed to work out how much they could scam out of us.
As for visibility, there was a mobile police station parked outside our hotel for the duration of our stay :D

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Sorry, BB, I missed that.
I've only been to KL once and stayed overnight while driving to Singapore. Like most big cities, I imagine KL is as different as Bangkok is to the rest of the country.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

As for visibility, there was a mobile police station parked outside our hotel for the duration of our stay
I guess that they had been pre-warned about a couple of suspicious characters staying. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:44 am
As for visibility, there was a mobile police station parked outside our hotel for the duration of our stay
I guess that they had been pre-warned about a couple of suspicious characters staying. :rasta:
Most definitely :laugh:

Points 48; Position 20
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Big Boy, I don’t recall if you mentioned it already, did the Le Apple Hotel offer a buffet breakfast ?
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Booking.com:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Scout wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:00 pm Big Boy, I don’t recall if you mentioned it already, did the Le Apple Hotel offer a buffet breakfast ?
I didn't mention it for 2 reasons:
  • The 'included' buffet works out OK if you are travelling as a couple. We were 2 singles, so would have been charged for 4 'free' :? breakfasts, which is a rip off. The likes of Agoda don't seem to realise that singles might travel together, but require more than one room, and the 'free' breakfast should be cheaper,
  • The above was a minor inconvenience, but the major concern was my celiac friend. We did consider paying extra for the breakfast, but he could have eaten so little it would have been crazy to have the hotel breakfast.
Having said the above, it did look a good breakfast. When you are travelling as 2 singles, one with a restrictive eating condition, you have to have a little give and take. I picked up a sausage and cheese roll in Starbucks, and it only cost me an arm and a leg :? .

Points 48; Position 20
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »

Very informative BB - thanks!

:cheers:

Cheers, Chazz
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The 'included' buffet works out OK if you are travelling as a couple. We were 2 singles,
Hmm, from what I remember of Malaysia, two blokes travelling together would more than likely be a "couple"!

Book one breakfast and just walk in hand in hand!(you didn't do that did you? :shock:) :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!