Photo trip report: Unseen Northern Provinces

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Re: Photo trip report: Unseen Northern Provinces

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:43 pm I notice the sign below the elephant states no cycles. Can I presume, as usual, that sign doesn't apply to regular or honorary Thais? :D
Applied to all, the time restrictions were because the wildlife came out in late afternoon, and being an enclosed ecosystem it wasn't afraid of us ... even the squirrels were second dans!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Right, I saw the times, but didn't associate it to the no cycles sign because they aren't attached, or at least there's an air gap. Makes sense now.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Going down was a very wet and muddy experience and although it was quicker than the ascent my knees started to feel the pain of all of the recent pressure on them. Around 3.5 hours later we arrived back at the bottom battered, bloodied, bruised, wet and dirty but glad we had done it, what an experience!

Phu Kradueng is a very professionally managed national park and famous among Thais for having the hardest trek in the Kingdom. It is a unique experience and I wish we had longer up there; strangely nobody was up for climbing it again the following day so we drove north to Loei for some rest and relaxation.

We decided to stop in the Loei Palace Hotel for two nights since it had a big pool and was relatively luxurious. We’d been on the road a week and every night stayed somewhere different so needed a little down time. The town is a traffic clogged little place with tiny roads and too much on them. A busy weekend night market provided us with plenty of deep fried food that seems to be primary form of sustenance up this way.

Loei sunset
Loei sunset
DSC_2786.jpg (88.31 KiB) Viewed 468 times

To follow: Chiang Khan
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thank you for sharing your Phu Kradueng experience. Normally, your reports make me wish I was there, and several times I have loosely followed in your footsteps. However, this is one I definitely don't want to/couldn't attempt. Just the words alone told me that I'm too old, although, like HHFarang, the being slung in a hammock and carried by 2 porters did appeal a little :D .

Seriously, thanks for the interesting report - now wiped from my bucket list.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

There were some older folk doing the climb but I'm guessing they were reasonably fit - you had to be!

It was time to head north again to Chiang Khan on the river. This is a touristy little town famous for its river front walking street. Years ago it would have been throbbing with farang backpackers and travellers hanging out in reggae bars on the Mekong, sipping a cool beer at sunset. Today it is rammed with locals jostling for parking spaces in SUVs, taking selfies, and eating bags of deep fried bananas.

The river front is very scenic and the place reminded me a little of Luang Prabang, tourist price premiums and tee shirts included. We spent some time at Khaeng Khut Khu where the river meanders and went up Phu Thok to get some shots of the low lying clouds.

DSC_2787.jpg
DSC_2789.jpg
DSC_2790.jpg
DSC_2791.jpg
DSC_2792.jpg
DSC_2795.jpg
DSC_2796.jpg
DSC_2805.jpg
DSC_2808.jpg
DSC_2809.jpg
DSC_2815.jpg
DSC_2818.jpg
DSC_2827.jpg
DSC_2829.jpg
DSC_2831.jpg
DSC_2833.jpg
DSC_2834.jpg
DSC_2835.jpg
DSC_2837.jpg

To follow: Chiang Khan walking street
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

This morning the news was talking about how low the Mekong is (already!!), and other adjoining rivers. Your photos seem to bear that out.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:05 pm Thank you for sharing your Phu Kradueng experience. Normally, your reports make me wish I was there, and several times I have loosely followed in your footsteps. However, this is one I definitely don't want to/couldn't attempt. Just the words alone told me that I'm too old, although, like HHFarang, the being slung in a hammock and carried by 2 porters did appeal a little :D .

Seriously, thanks for the interesting report - now wiped from my bucket list.
No way you'll get away with just 2 porters..... :o :roll:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It could be fun watching them try :lach:

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

barrys wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:40 pm No way you'll get away with just 2 porters..... :o :roll:
:lach: :lach:
BB.jpg
BB.jpg (13.22 KiB) Viewed 371 times
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

PeteC wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:24 pm This morning the news was talking about how low the Mekong is (already!!), and other adjoining rivers. Your photos seem to bear that out.
Yes, most of the locals were in agreement. China has been relentless building dams upriver.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

"Those who control the spice, control Dune".
buksida

Post by buksida »

The walking street was uber touristy and aside from the old buildings and houses, very similar to every other Thai market/walking street. Very photogenic though but most were more interested in taking shots of themselves than their surroundings.

DSC_2840.jpg
DSC_2841.jpg
DSC_2844.jpg
DSC_2848.jpg
DSC_2852.jpg
DSC_2856.jpg
DSC_2861.jpg
DSC_2863.jpg
DSC_2866.jpg
DSC_2867.jpg
DSC_2874.jpg
DSC_2875.jpg
DSC_2880.jpg
DSC_2881.jpg
DSC_2882.jpg
DSC_2886.jpg
DSC_2887.jpg
DSC_2888.jpg
DSC_2889.jpg
DSC_2890.jpg
DSC_2892.jpg
DSC_2893.jpg
DSC_2895.jpg

More to follow ...
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Let's play "Spot the Mona Lisa"...
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Lots of little hidden gems in that place. We went back for a sunset stroll the following evening which was a Monday - what a difference without the weekend warriors ... very serene.

DSC_2896.jpg
DSC_2899.jpg
DSC_2902.jpg
DSC_2907.jpg
DSC_2909.jpg
DSC_2911.jpg
DSC_2914.jpg
DSC_2914.jpg (86.89 KiB) Viewed 215 times
DSC_2915.jpg

To follow: Phu Thok
buksida

Post by buksida »

This is more of a hill than a mountain but it offered a 360 view of Chiang Khan and the surroundings. We decided to avoid the sunrise selfie brigade and head up at 8am when the low cloud was still visible and the place was quieter. To prevent hundreds of SUVs trying to park at the small summit there was a park and ride system for 25 baht a head.

DSC_2920.jpg
DSC_2925.jpg
DSC_2926.jpg
DSC_2928.jpg
DSC_2930.jpg
DSC_2930.jpg (87.48 KiB) Viewed 169 times
DSC_2932.jpg
DSC_2933.jpg
DSC_2935.jpg
DSC_2940.jpg
DSC_2942.jpg
DSC_2943.jpg
DSC_2944.jpg

To follow: Kunming ... in Loei