Traffic Lights Help or Hindrance/Safety or Inconvenience?

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Traffic Lights Help or Hindrance/Safety or Inconvenience?

Post by Big Boy »

I've just come back from taking Mrs BB down to Soi 156 for lunch. On the drive South, the (newish) lights at Soi 116 were a major blockage Northbound, with a queue/tailback way beyond Rajabhakti Park. I was dreading the return drive. On the return journey, the lights had been switched to flashing Amber, and traffic was flowing freely, with nobody waiting on either side road.

I know the lights were put there for safety reasons, and there is no doubt they are needed. So why, when the road gets busy, and arguably a lot more dangerous do they switch them off?

Likewise, the lights outside Bangkok Hospital (OK, there are many morons who won't stop there anyway). They work all week, and then when the roads get busy, and almost impossible for pedestrians to cross without help, they are turned off. I'm sure there are many other examples.

We have a thread about motor accidents in Thailand. Actions such as this go to show how futile preventative measures can be if the authorities can just turn them off because people have to sit and wait a few extra minutes.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Traffic Lights Help or Hindrance/Safety or Inconvenience?

Post by oakdale160 »

Why are Thai drivers in such a hurry. Maybe because in Thailand it is unforgivable to be late for an appointment, they are obsessed with punctuality.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I don't think it is specifically a 'hurry'. There is a psychological process that enters the mind when they get into a vehicle, and that is the notion that they are the most important person on the road, so should in no way be forced to wait behind another vehicle of inferior importance or at some pesky lights.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:25 am Why are Thai drivers in such a hurry. Maybe because in Thailand it is unforgivable to be late for an appointment, they are obsessed with punctuality.
You must be joking. I've found the opposite.
Thais are generally infamous for their ‘Thai time’ – arrival at least an hour late is not considered uncommon and the ‘farang’ obsession with time is considered a bit OCD by most Thais. Then again you can usually set your clock accurately by timing the parade of Thai staff leaving the office spot on Noon to go to lunch each day, usually all together (Thais would never dine alone).
https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/on-tim ... g-punctual
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I was joking of course. Another feature of the lack of punctuality is that even very polite Thais rarely apologise for being late
Ttmike
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ttmike »

In the uk traffic lights have become a nightmare, it seems now that every motorway junction has had lights installed which in turn causes tailbacks down the slip roads.
The worst one I have come across is at the end of parkway in Peterborough, they spent a fortune enlarging the roundabout then installed more lights than you could shake a stick at.
The result is fecking mayhem, yet when on the odd occasion the lights are out of action everything runs like clockwork.
My question has always been , why build a roundabout if you are going to install lights?.
PBbeacher
Professional
Professional

Post by PBbeacher »

Old but still makes me chuckle
Attachments
72898307_10157770234983799_5910407081319464960_n.jpg
72898307_10157770234983799_5910407081319464960_n.jpg (70.68 KiB) Viewed 367 times
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:55 pm I've just come back from taking Mrs BB down to Soi 156 for lunch. On the drive South, the (newish) lights at Soi 116 were a major blockage Northbound, with a queue/tailback way beyond Rajabhakti Park. I was dreading the return drive. On the return journey, the lights had been switched to flashing Amber, and traffic was flowing freely, with nobody waiting on either side road.

I know the lights were put there for safety reasons, and there is no doubt they are needed. So why, when the road gets busy, and arguably a lot more dangerous do they switch them off?

Likewise, the lights outside Bangkok Hospital (OK, there are many morons who won't stop there anyway). They work all week, and then when the roads get busy, and almost impossible for pedestrians to cross without help, they are turned off. I'm sure there are many other examples.

We have a thread about motor accidents in Thailand. Actions such as this go to show how futile preventative measures can be if the authorities can just turn them off because people have to sit and wait a few extra minutes.
This is a classic example of Thai backwards "thinking." This is the land of everything done backwards.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PBbeacher wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:50 pm Old but still makes me chuckle
I’m sure that most of us had a chuckle too, but the sad truth is that it probably applies to 90%+ of driving out here.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

IMHO traffic lights are a huge benefit in Thailand - whilst perhaps 15% do not follow the traffic regulations the fact that say 85% mostly do is a benefit - the alternative is a 'free for all' so take your pick!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think most would agree with you, so why switch them off when the danger significantly increases?
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20