Nice Quality Furniture

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
bigston
Professional
Professional

Nice Quality Furniture

Post by bigston »

I have recently seen some information and video of the Dan Singkhon Market near the Thai Myanmar border
there seems to be a sizeable range of furniture for sale
have any folks been there, and purchased items
is it of good quality, and fairly priced ?
Logistics of getting it back to our house ?
apart from here, are there any other recommended outlets for house furniture apart from the cheap looking, not necessarily in cost, and somewhat boring, mass produced stuff .

Thank you ..
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Nice Quality Furniture

Post by HHTel »

If you're ever up in the Chang Mai area, there is Baan Tawai village just outside Chang Mai. They have a massive collection of wood carvings including large and small furniture. I bought an 8 seater, teak dining set some years ago. It was far cheaper than furniture of lower quality in the major chains. Had it delivered to Hua Hin which literally took 2 days from ordering. I don't remember the cost of delivery but it was very inexpensive.
The quality of the furniture (and other items) are excellent.

Google it. If you're ever up there, it's worth a full day's visit.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:52 am If you're ever up in the Chang Mai area, there is Baan Tawai village just outside Chang Mai. They have a massive collection of wood carvings including large and small furniture. I bought an 8 seater, teak dining set some years ago. It was far cheaper than furniture of lower quality in the major chains. Had it delivered to Hua Hin which literally took 2 days from ordering. I don't remember the cost of delivery but it was very inexpensive.
The quality of the furniture (and other items) are excellent.

Google it. If you're ever up there, it's worth a full day's visit.
I had two wooden Sofa's many years ago from Chang Mai. Because they were Teak the delivery was done under cover at night time!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

the delivery was done under cover at night time!
Sounds like a smuggling operation...... lol
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

bigston wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:18 am I have recently seen some information and video of the Dan Singkhon Market near the Thai Myanmar border
there seems to be a sizeable range of furniture for sale
have any folks been there, and purchased items
is it of good quality, and fairly priced ?
Logistics of getting it back to our house ?
apart from here, are there any other recommended outlets for house furniture apart from the cheap looking, not necessarily in cost, and somewhat boring, mass produced stuff .

Thank you ..
I bought the bed in the master bedroom and two bedside tables from there, as well as a dining table and 8 chairs. My other half is Thai and haggled the price down and they deliver and construct on site. Check the quality and mark what you want to buy when there. It's all solid stuff, but the finishing isn't always the best, but they do represent great VFM. A couple of the dining chairs have gone a bit wobbly, but I will get someone local to put that right for not a lot of money.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Similar to caller, we’ve bought a few tables and benches for outside use and they’re reasonable (but not top) quality, but for the price then VFM (You need to barter). It takes about 1.1/2 hours to get there so not too far to go and see if they have what you want. Delivery is very efficient, one time we had a delivery about an hour after getting back home and I think it was just 500 Baht
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I guess it comes down to "you get what you pay for". But the following may be worth a look:

http://www.siamoldteakfurniture.com/index.html

https://huahin.beautifulworldthailand.com/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

There's another new company in Hua Hin, much cheaper than either of the above (as good as they are) - they mainly use rubber wood, but also teak - they have a display area outside of Home Pro and a larger showroom just north, if heading from HH, of that huge white gulag style condo monstrosity on the way to Cha am, same side of the road, They are manufactured in Chonburi. I had a sideboard made to order from them and the quality is superb.

But Bkk is the place to go, if you have the inclination and time, to view and buy furniture.

Thinking about it, I have bought from all over - bed and dining table from Dan Singkhon, coffee and side tables plus a bookcase / display case from a small place in Bkk, run by an Austrian guy (they manufacture and display at the same place so you see what they do), a sofa from Boonthavorn (spl?) and TV stand from one of those smaller companies that supply Koncept and associated companies, a bedroom fully kitted out be the design centre (same as koncept) and 'my' chair from IKEA.
Talk is cheap
bigston
Professional
Professional

Post by bigston »

Thanks to all for some useful and most detailed suggestions
we are not top shelfers, but just looking for good value, solid and somewhat not off the shelf type stuff
im sure amongst the places suggested , we will find a suitable mix
thank you.