Transformer needed. Where to buy?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
fm2002
Novice
Novice

Transformer needed. Where to buy?

Post by fm2002 »

Not a electrician so bear with me. I need to buy a transformer for 2 household items. My Vitamix blender (rated at 110v and both 50 & 60Hz, 11.5 A. And my Nespresso 120v, 60Hz, 15amps. Pretty sure a transformer will solve my blender problem, but not sure about my Nespresso machine.

FYI - this particular Nespresso machine (Vertuo Plus Deluxe) is only available in the USA @ 120v and the 200 or so pods I have for it won’t fit in the machines available @ 220v.

Thank you
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Transformer needed. Where to buy?

Post by Nereus »

fm2002 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:01 pm Not a electrician so bear with me. I need to buy a transformer for 2 household items. My Vitamix blender (rated at 110v and both 50 & 60Hz, 11.5 A. And my Nespresso 120v, 60Hz, 15amps. Pretty sure a transformer will solve my blender problem, but not sure about my Nespresso machine.

FYI - this particular Nespresso machine (Vertuo Plus Deluxe) is only available in the USA @ 120v and the 200 or so pods I have for it won’t fit in the machines available @ 220v.

Thank you
This a classic example of 110 volt equipment! 110 volt x 11.5 amps is 1,265 va and as it is AC and inductive the losses bring it up to at least 1,500 volt amps, or 1.5 Kva. That is a big transformer for a house. Your blender is even worse, so a minimum of 2 Kva would be needed.

You may be better off with a Variac type of transformer that is adjustable, but will not be cheap. Global House at Phranburi have them.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
fm2002
Novice
Novice

Post by fm2002 »

Thank you for your response. So I buy a "2 Kva Variac transformer that is adjustable"? Once I buy will using it be self explanatory?
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The problem here is that normal "double wound" transformers are not made in 220 / 110 volt form. There may be a place in Bangkok that will make you one, but it would not be cheap. With a Variac the supply is 220 volts and a movable brush "picks off" what ever voltage that you require. It needs to be in some from of housing with meters to show the voltage and usually amps. Note that 110 or 120 volts does not really matter very much, but with a Variac you can set it to match your appliance.
tdgc2-2-0.jpg
This one is 110 volt primary, but the ones here will be 220 volt primary.
fm2002
Novice
Novice

Post by fm2002 »

Went to Pranburi Global today. Unfortunately they didn’t have. Line conditioner and stabilizer, but nothing like what you pictured. Any other ideas?

Thanks
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I know nothing about the following. They have several sizes listed but the 3,000 watt unit would give you a bit of flexibility if the description is correct. It also says "auto", which is a type of winding, and may not be correct. A "double wound" transformer is much safer, and can be connected either way around depending on what you need.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/3000- ... null__null__
fm2002
Novice
Novice

Post by fm2002 »

To follow up; I ended up ordering from Lazada. The first shipment arrived pretty quick. Unfortunately it was badly damaged. Return went smooth so I ordered again from same supplier. This time no issues and is working good. Thanks Nereus for the help.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

fm2002 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:42 am To follow up; I ended up ordering from Lazada. The first shipment arrived pretty quick. Unfortunately it was badly damaged. Return went smooth so I ordered again from same supplier. This time no issues and is working good. Thanks Nereus for the help.
:thumb: