Things to look out for when driving in Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
traveller2
Professional
Professional

Re: Things to look out for when driving in Thailand

Post by traveller2 »

Actually, flashing your headlights in the UK is misinterpreted my most drivers. It doesn't mean that you are letting the other driver through. A common misconception.
It's actually used correctly in Thailand. Surprise, surprise.

I stand corrected :D :thumb:
wysiwyg (what you see is what you get)
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I thought it mean't go ahead and come on out.No wonder the Thai drivers are mad at me..........
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

I've always taken it to mean that the other vehicle is coming through, don't proceed. That way, even if I'm wrong, I'm right.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:18 am I've always taken it to mean that the other vehicle is coming through, don't proceed. That way, even if I'm wrong, I'm right.
Well right or wrong (right I believe) it’s definitely what Thai drivers do!!
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

It's been any years since I got my UK license the Highway Code states flashing your headlights means coming through and not giving right of way to on coming traffic the Thai way is the right way. It's about the only thing they do right on the road
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/flashin ... ights.html. This link gives an accurate description of the meaning of flashing headlights in the UK but as has been stated it generally is used to indicate to others to go ahead and enter/ turn across my path contrary to the Highway Code. I drove commercial vehicles in the UK and this was the main use however here in Thailand if someone flashes they definitely do not intend to slow down and let you out/across.
Driving here is a challenge that I have adapted to. Lots of things to learn but when I have visitors who insist on driving I advise them to not try to drive like Thais and be ready for other drivers to do the stupidest things. Other comments that have been posted are very accurate. I recommend watching some of the youtube Thailand accident compilation videos to get a taste of what they are going to be exposed to.