Team of Thai pickpockets hits Hua Hin

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Team of Thai pickpockets hits Hua Hin

Post by HHTel »

I agree, Buksi. From a well meant warning it's gone from there to racism to dual pricing. Yes I'm guilty for responding but human nature being what it is ..........
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Has anybody been caught? How do we even know the pickpockets are males? Stereotyping.

My son and his friends are as Westernised as the rest of us, and hold Western passports. However, they look very Thai. Reading the comments, if he goes into a bar alone, he may be OK. If he goes in with a couple of mates he has to be treated with suspicion.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

HHTel wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:38 pm
stretch wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:09 pm Racism when I am expected to pay 3-5 times more than a Thai for most things because I'm Ferrang
Dual pricing happens all over the world in one form or another. If anything I would say that in Thailand it's much more transparent than other countries.
The main culprits of dual pricing here is the authorities, not the average Thai. You can't tar the whole population for dual pricing as it's not true.
In the west it's called racism in Thailand it's called you have more money than me try reporting that to the Thai police and watch them laugh there balls off.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

The dual pricing thing has its origins in China, where the principal that 'foreigners pay double' has been entrenched for generations.

Thai business logic revolves around three insane mantras:

1) If you have a regular customer, you can't be charging enough.
2) If business is slack, you need to put up your prices.
3) The best place to open a shop is next door to one doing exactly the same thing.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

And here is me thinking that this thread was about a group of alleged pickpockets :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:40 pm I get your point, caller. But you go 'off-PC' in Europe (or the States) and you're in trouble.
I worked in Government I played the slippery eel!
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

This thread reminds me of the game, where 1 person whispers something to another and each person passes it around the circle and by the time it comes back to the first person, it's unrecognizable.
Thistle
Professional
Professional

Post by Thistle »

The initial post by U.S.i believe was one to heed, and make others aware of the possibilities based upon his knowledge of the locale especially at this time of year,and the fact he is known to many locals both Farang and Thai.
He informed a forum member that a friend had been a victim,i personally think that is good enough to be perhaps a little more wary than normal,nothing more nothing less.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

handdrummer wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:24 pm This thread reminds me of the game, where 1 person whispers something to another and each person passes it around the circle and by the time it comes back to the first person, it's unrecognizable.
Chinese Whispers!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

sateeb wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:36 pm And here is me thinking that this thread was about a group of alleged pickpockets :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I think this thread has been very helpful. I now know to be cautious of groups of Thai men hanging around Thai sois in Thailand.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I recall there was a problem with pick-pocketing about ten years ago - the culprit being a well trained child who was only about 3 or 4 years old..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

It would seem that Lost seems to be quite apt at taking the piss somewhat with his posting..FYI the guy that was attacked is STILL in hospital..!
And it was THAI MEN HANGING AROUND A THAI SOI that got the bar girls nervous.. JUST before the 'Songkran Attack'
kicked off..!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Now I'm baffled. Surely pick pockets deal in stealth/not getting caught. They don't usually violently attack/hospitalise their victims. If they do, they are violent thugs, not pickpockets.

Please tell us what you mean because this is not adding up.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Obviously none of us (other than US) were there, so we don’t know the detail, but a pickpocket may use stealth as their modus operandi, but if they get caught out by the suspect, it doesn’t take much to understand why it could have quickly escalated into a violent confrontation.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

As to the actual event, none of us commentators really know anything and having nothing else to do, were just blowing our own horns. We humans are very peculiar.