Excise eyes levy on non-alcoholic beer

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Excise eyes levy on non-alcoholic beer

Post by buksida »

Just when you thought Thailand could not get more ludicrous ...

The Excise Department is considering tariff rates on both non-alcoholic beer and non-beverage alcohol before forwarding the issue to the cabinet for approval by the second quarter of 2020.

Non-alcoholic beer is expected to be slapped with tariffs at a higher rate than carbonated drinks, but lower than alcoholic beer, said Patchara Anuntasilpa, director-general of the department.

The department considered the tariffs on non-alcoholic beer and non-beverage alcohol after the Public Health Ministry voiced concern over the drinks and alcohol-infused candies.

Given the lack of a specific tariff on non-alcoholic beer, the Excise Department applies the non-alcohol beverage rate, 1.4% of the suggested retail price. Alcoholic beer is charged a 22% tariff of the suggested retail price.

Booze-filled chocolates and beer-filled candies are not classified as alcoholic beverages because the alcohol is not in a form that can be drunk.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... holic-beer

I'm pretty sure the tax on beer is way more than 22% because you can buy Thai beer at half the price in neighbouring countries.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
stretch
Professional
Professional

Re: Excise eyes levy on non-alcoholic beer

Post by stretch »

What you must consider how do you get drunk to drive on non alcoholic beer makes sense to someone in the government .
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There could be a misprint in that article.
This from an earlier quote by the government:
Non-alcoholic beer is currently taxed at 14 percent – around 5 to 12 baht per can – making prices anywhere between 39 to 99 baht per can. This is compared to the 22-percent tax slapped on alcoholic beer, according to Patchara.
5 12 baht a can is definately not 1.4%

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/busi ... olic-beer/
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Re-listen to the Beatles; Taxman. Coming to a country near you.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

should be taxed at the same % as there is alcohol in the beer.
stretch
Professional
Professional

Post by stretch »

Are soft drinks taxed just the same 🚱
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Not sure if available in Thailand but there are some zero alcohol beers. Others are less than half % ABV.

Soft drinks are taxed on their sugar content. The tax is about to be hiked.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

HHTel wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:11 am Not sure if available in Thailand but there are some zero alcohol beers.
Both Hite and Heineken 0.0 are widely available in Thailand. Suppliers in Hua Hin are Gourmet and Villa markets and TOPS, At least. Even 7/11 sell the Heineken version. All other alcohol free / low alcohol beers cost the same as normal beer.
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

All other alcohol free / low alcohol beers cost the same as normal beer.

Krombacher 0.0 % alcohol. 99-109 Baht. Large size 168 Baht.

I went to Villa, in town, asked for Krombacher, non-alcohol, the clerk handed me the large bottle, I asked for the small bottle, "No have." I handed back the large bottle and she moved a few meters to her right. Lo & behold, there were small bottles of Krombacher. The bullshit never ends.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

Did you point that out to her that they did indeed have them and, low and behold, here they are ?!?
TBF she might well not have known that it was on offer.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 am Krombacher 0.0 % alcohol. 99-109 Baht. Large size 168 Baht.
Do Krombacher now do a 0.0 as opposed to less than 0.5%? (It's my understanding we have the EU to blame for the 'less than' nonsense).
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:10 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 am Krombacher 0.0 % alcohol. 99-109 Baht. Large size 168 Baht.
Do Krombacher now do a 0.0 as opposed to less than 0.5%? (It's my understanding we have the EU to blame for the 'less than' nonsense).
It was less than and now it's 0.0.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

centermid7 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:35 am Did you point that out to her that they did indeed have them and, low and behold, here they are ?!?
Both bottles were next to each other. She stood so I couldn't see the smaller bottle. Yes, I pointed it out. As I walked by her I waved the bottle at her and smiled, she turned away.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:47 pm
It was less than and now it's 0.0.
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll out for that.
Talk is cheap
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:49 pm
centermid7 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:35 am Did you point that out to her that they did indeed have them and, low and behold, here they are ?!?
Both bottles were next to each other. She stood so I couldn't see the smaller bottle. Yes, I pointed it out. As I walked by her I waved the bottle at her and smiled, she turned away.
Absolutely par for the course with Villa Market staff, from the CEO down! I have recently threatened them with legal action over their rude treatment of customers. The sad part is the old owner, whom is over 80 and still goes to the office, does not know what goes on. :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!